Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 387 total)
  • Tally Ho
  • matt_outandabout

I’m sure there’s a few on here who might be following along already.

A wonderful rebuild of a Fastnet winning yacht. Proper skills.

skink2020

Best thing on YouTube. The boy has chops.

towpathman

Thanks for the heads up. A great watch!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spooky_b329

A brilliant project and one that has good potential to continue at pace, regular videos, and not turn into a clickbait fest of attention grabbing titles and monetisation of 3 videos a week (which almost always results in crap content)

Can’t wait to see it in the water

kayak23

It’s amazing. I’ve only watched a couple so need to go back to the start.

Who’s funding it? I guess YouTube partly now but that must be eye-wateringly money hungry.

spooky_b329

He was funding it himself but he wasn’t planning on a keel up rebuild to start with. I get the impression* he thought the videos would create a bit of pocket money but he has now said they are fully funding the project (probably mostly by viewers heading over to Patreon), until recently he was taking breaks to earn an income but now has enough cash to employ a second shipwright.

*Or he is very canny and it was always planned to be funded this way, Kudos to him either way.

DIY boat projects seem popular on YouTube, I’ve watched several, and drifted away from others who ended up ‘chasing money and clicks’ format regardless of whether there is actually anything interesting to video! One I drop into but don’t watch every single video is Salt & Tar.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve been watching it for a while.

He calls it a restoration but theres not much left of the original build at the moment.

Not surprised really with a 100 year old wooden boat.

Its finally looking like a boat, it’s taken a while.

Anyone else think the new hired help is a bit grumpy?

Edit: managed to catch up with this episode. Some original features going back in. That’s some skill to repair that teak!

I enjoyed that!

bruneep

enjoyed that looks like I’ll have to go back to start and waste a day or 2

gecko76

Been waiting for a thread on this. The level of skill is right up there.

Keep meaning to support it.

matt_outandabout

Anyone else think the new hired help is a bit grumpy?

I think he’s great.
    Hates the camera and flaff, but there’s a few bits where they’ve caught him chatting and he’s great.

matt_outandabout

His blog before Tally Ho is interesting – rebuild a FolkBoat then sail it across the Atlantic, then lounge around in the back of the millionaires playground for a while.

damascus
    Free Member

I think he’s great.

Did he say when he first hired him that he’d done his own YouTube series?

Andy

Yeah I have been watching it for a while. Fascinating to see it looking like a boat again. “Acorn to Arabella” is also worth a watch.

globalti
    Free Member

We’ve watched it almost since the beginning, we all enjoy watching Leo’s skills despite my wife and son not being sailors or carpenters. When he bought the boat he didn’t realise how rotten or mis-shapen it was after an accident. He gets plenty of cash and tools bought for him now so it’s self-sustaining. The parrot is a star and it’s nice to see his girlfriend occasionally when she’s around.

I also can’t wait to see Tally Ho in the water.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Love a boat build.

Who is it on here that has a couple if beautiful boats on the broads?

avdave2

enjoyed that looks like I’ll have to go back to start and waste a day or 2

Me too

atbr
    Free Member

Thats the best thing on youtube for me. what amazing skills Leo has. Pete is also highly skilled and he used to work on the western flyer rebuild, which is close to where tally ho is and also a good youtube channel.
    finn who used to volunteer at tally ho has his own youtube channel called knotFINNishedYet. hes got his own boat to repair.

CountZero

I’ll have to check back through those videos, I appreciate fine craftsmanship, and I love those gaff-rigged racing cutters, like Tally-Ho and the Americas Cup boats – things of sublime beauty.

duncancallum

Well thanks ended up staying up way too late watching that.

Guys not shy of a bit of graft at all is he!

duncancallum

Now 40 odd episodes in. And a binky too watch.

Miles better than normal tv

doug_basqueMTB.com

I watch it religiously, I can’t wait for the next episode to roll in. The other one I really like is Acorn to Arabela, same thing with less skills and knowledge but loads of enthusiasm, mistakes and problem solving.

somafunk

Cheers for this, watched from the beginning and now 9 episodes in and hooked.

bruneep

getting there at episode 41

duncancallum

I’m now 63…..

He needs to hurry up I’m catching him

dyna-ti

The boat/canoe vids are fantastic to watch. Makes you think about longer workshops 😀
    I’ve been watching this guy’s vids for a while and I really like this skiff as its in my skill level, and I reckon it would be very good on the waterways and canals given its flat bottomed.
    This is the last vid, to show you what it looks like.

matt_outandabout

A fun one this time – molten metal!

spooky_b329

wahey 🙂 I actually enjoy these more than Project Binky…I think its the combination of big parts, learning stuff about boats, seeing a traditional trade in action 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

That was a good episode. It reminded me of those videos on YouTube of Nigerians casting huge aluminium cooking pots.

damascus
    Free Member

Casting bronze in sand moulds. Class!

bruneep

db

I binged watched the whole 75 previous episodes. Leo is an amazing guy with some serious skills and motivation.

Thanks to the op for posting!

bruneep

matt_outandabout

That was an episode reflecting the massive decisions they are making! More head than hands this time. Fascinating stuff – I assumed you just started at the bottom and worked up…

damascus
    Free Member

I struggled with the explanation of measurements in inches.

It looked complicated. Next one will show it all come together. He’s got some more helpers now so might get some more videos out too.

tagnut69
    Free Member

Acorn to Arabella is another nice one to watch

AdamT

Hopefully not a thread derailment, but I love the Tally Ho rebuild and obvs Binky. Any other suggestions since I like these two so much? (Will look at acorn to as Arabella)

atbr
    Free Member

the western flyer restoration is a good one. two western flyer shipwrights are in the last episode of tally ho. tips from a shipwright is also another good one.

matt_outandabout

Another good engineering one is Mike Patey and Scrappy.

Opposite end of the scale – building and flying carbon STOL planes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MikePatey

nickc

I struggled with the explanation of measurements in inches.

Me too! it seemed massively over complicated, but I guess probably makes perfect sense once you get into it. It was the part where he said something along the lines of “Oh, and there’s also this other system of measurement that uses metric division of inches”, where my brain sort of gave up.

welshfarmer

I have enjoyed Malcolm Oastlers’ Ninjamobile Dart build. A bit brief and the order of the vids is a bit all over the place. Nothing fancy with edits or so, but such neat meticulous work. A joy to see it come together.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNI1H-ZXLGcoTSKG5jqajXQ/videos

EDIT

just to add I am also a big fan of Binky and TallyHo and have wathced both from start to present day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 387 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.