Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 409 total)
  • Tally Ho
  • dyna-ti

(Duracell, I’m looking at you)

Though Tally Ho has nearly 10x the number of subscribers and is a bit more clued up donation wise it would seem. Plus many of the helpers are in the boat industry so they’ll have friends and contacts that help/kit can be sourced from.

The big point though is Duracell has a cat and Tally Ho only had the loan of a mangy parrot.

Twodogs

No, Tally Ho had access to dogs early on, hence 10x the number of subscribers 😁

I don’t think the Duracell couple are as natural in front of the camera has Leo and his crew have become, plus…how much fibreglass grinding do you need to see?!

Klunk
    Free Member

piemonster

How very dare you call Poncho mangy, utterly offended.

matt_outandabout

How very dare you call Poncho mangy, utterly offended.

TBF, Leo has looked quite mangy at times. 😉

I’m still really enjoying this build. It just feels like they are maintaining energy and we move ever closer to a wet bottom….

Sandwich

we move ever closer to a wet bottom….

Curiously aroused!

Klunk
    Free Member

damascus
    Free Member

is a bit more clued up donation wise it would seem

Someone’s paying for the mast work (if it comes off) that surprised me.

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

CountZero

we move ever closer to a wet bottom….

Curiously aroused!

Ooer, missus! Of course what you do in the privacy of your own home, etc, etc… 🤓

kayak23

Fair play to him for not revealing the company who messed him about on those fuel tanks, although perhaps there will be a leak of that kind too.

Pretty shocking how badly made they were to leak like that.

Those ally tanks are a thing of beauty 😍
    Be quite interesting to see how they make those giant alloo-minum catamarans too.

phinbob

I was gutted to not be able to make the open-house thing at the wooden boat festival the other month. Maybe next year she will be in the water!

I’ve really enjoyed the series – now we just need to get some more Project Binky content.

leffeboy

Oh that was a lovely episode, he looked so happy.  The plastic tanks were so shonky that when you eventually see the aluminium tanks it’s a real wow moment.  They look incredible and are clearly in another league.  Getting them for the price of the materials alone is a real bargain as it took proper skills and tools to make them.  That was a real joy to watch

And the line “My name is Lauren, I’m a boatbuilder but not a sailor” was just brilliant

tillydog
    Free Member

I loved all of it, but was most taken by Lauren’s T shirt.

Really good of him to offer to make the tanks – and a fine job he seems to have made of it, too – and well done to his employer for supporting it. It’s all too easy for companies to say no to this sort of thing.

Kudos to Leo for staying classy regarding the company that stiffed him on the plastic tanks.

Klunk
    Free Member

an evening with leo

matt_outandabout

Now that’s really looking fine!

matt_outandabout

Please can I also bet: a wet bottom by June?

dyna-ti

Good episode. I hope they’re leaving the bulwarks varnished and not painted, I like the contrasts and it matches the transom.

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

kneed

I started watching the Duracell project after a mention up above: Anyone else following? And more importantly – anyone else wondering about the amount of ‘structural’ things being removed?

Latest chop job:

dyna-ti

You should maybe start a separate thread.

Though I’d like to thank you as your post has put me in mind of maybe breaking my cycle of depression and I’m thinking I should pop down to the large boat yard on the Clyde and maybe look to see if anyone is needing any help renovating their wooden boat. I’ve woodworking tools and machinery so would likely be an asset to someone.

Twodogs

And more importantly – anyone else wondering about the amount of ‘structural’ things being removed?

Yep…this has puzzled me too. And weight added/removed…tho apparently he is weighing everything and has a naval architect advising him. I have visions of it being launched and sitting there with the bow underwater. Also I can’t see how they’re going to end up with a nice smooth finish inside with fibreglass?

It doesn’t need a separate thread as there’s not enough to talk about and admire….i watch it more with a grim fascination.

Klunk
    Free Member

kayak23

I’m missing Pete 😐

Twodogs

I’m interested to see how the removable cockpit is sealed

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

early today, with some very strange in vid ad 🤔

Klunk
    Free Member

somafunk

Whoop, front door time 😉

tillydog
    Free Member

Woo-hoo!

Glad to see he’s keeping the tradition alive.

matt_outandabout

😜

leffeboy

Very excellent.  Beautiful work

spooky_b329

“how do you feel about making the front door?”

“Well, honestly, when you asked me, I thought you were joking…it’s the thing that makes you want to be a boat builder… I’m stoked”

Loved that line. Also noticed the practise caulking was done on the mock up they chainsawed the opening in to 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

damascus
    Free Member

Makes you wonder how much you can make from 450k subscribers, some advert revenue and a few patreons.

I keep wondering what he will do whens he finishes? Looked like a lot of staff which means it will get finished sooner.

I hope he sails it round the world and doesn’t just buy another rotten boat and cash in.

bruneep

How shit is that

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-65543274?fbclid=IwAR3VMaBevQUtB5Y5VhD4c5Of1hh0KTuAd6P4PWNZ-ikazXf2xgktgxFbVPY

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsJpSuehQoF/

DEVASTATING BOATYARD FIRE / UNDERFALL YARD, BRISTOL
    13 years ago I started my career as a boatbuilder when I wandered into the iconic Underfall Yard in Bristol and spoke to John RB, who offered me an informal apprenticeship. The photo shows me helping to step the mast on the first boat I helped to build, Edith Grey.
    A few nights ago, this same building was set alight by an arsonist, causing a devastating fire that destroyed several businesses, historic buildings, wooden boats, and collections of irreplaceable tools, including those of my first boatbuilding mentor, John RB.
    Underfall yard is one of the last undeveloped areas of Bristol docks, is maintained by a charity, and is usually open for the public to walk through. It is a beloved part of the city, and although the community is reeling and devastated, they have pledged to rebuild the yard and continue to build boats here.
    If you want to help, there is a fundraiser to try and replace some of the destroyed tools. They are not asking for a lot, and I think this community can really help! The link to the fundraiser is in my bio.

You can also donate to the UNDERFALL YARD TRUST by searching for them online.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 409 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.