Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tallin or Riga for a cold winter break?
  • ton

anyone been to both?

which is nicer for a cold weekend break. or anywhere else?

kilo

Only to Tallin really liked it. Would be good for city break destination

IHN

Only to Riga really liked it. Would be good for city break destination

mrsheen
    Free Member

Only to Tallin really liked it. Would be good for city break destination.

kayak23

Only to Tallin really liked it. Would be good for city break destination.

matt_outandabout

I went to Tallin – and thought it was an ace place. I am taking mrs_oab back.

I was there in warmer weather and for work. The old town is ace, some real mix of old and stalinist stuff. Nice atmosphere and lovely people. We also went to the forest (highly recomended) to swim in a peat bog(!) at Laheemaa on a day off (about an hour away).

Telliskivi area had ace bars and loads of street art and things going on.

Lohusala was lovely beach – the Baltic is warmer than Scottish seas – but was a bus ride out to it.

Easy day trip to Helsinki on the ferry, if it isn’t frozen.

Sessoon was a fabulous eatery – and birch beer was lush…

Pics –
    TMO Estonia trip

ton

Tallin is winning.

IHN

We went to Riga in October last year, but it was unseasonably warm.

Old city is beautiful, a big mash of higgledy piggeldy medieval streets, some great old buildings, lots of cool bars and restaurants. This place by the old city walls was brilliant, really traditional food by the old city walls:

http://www.latvianfood.lv/

Next to the old city is a big beautiful park with the river running through it and in the newer part of the city there are some amazing Art Deco buildings, huge market built in old Zeppelin hangars and, again, some great bars and restaurants. Loads to see and do just wandering around.

We went for MrsIHN’s 40th and got a ridiculous deal here:

https://grandpoet.semarahhotels.com/lv

It were right swanky, champagne for breakfast and everything 🙂 5/10 minute walk through the park to the old city too, great location.

cheese@4p

Tallin is very nice in summer but can be very cold, like -20 this time of year. Riga will be not much different.

wiganer
    Free Member

Only to Riga really liked it. Would be good for city break destination Was an awesome stag do.

ransos
    Free Member

anyone been to both?

Yes. Take a good coat. They’re both nice places, Riga perhaps a bit less touristy

egb81
    Free Member

I’ve been to both in winter, though several years ago. Both were good in their own way. Riga was a lot more unassuming, less touristy and has the best market I’ve ever been to (near the central station, big old zeppelin hangers). Tallinn old town is very pretty. I stayed in the worst hostel ever so my memory is tarnished a bit by that but it seemed pretty nice otherwise. I’d recommend both if you’ve got a week. The bus between them was pretty cheap. The phrase ‘it’s Baltic outside’ exists for a very good reason though. Take a good pair of boots as well.

frankconway

Helsinki or Moscow.

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Vilnius. Amazing city, I go every year.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Would suggest looking at Vilnius as an alternative. I went this time last year on a whim, lovely little city, plenty of history, great beer, good food. booked a days snow shoing (though actually did something more akin to scootering in the end which was great fun, if a bit juvenile) round trakai. oh and if you’re where i think you are ton, easy and cheap from lba.

petec
    Free Member

Went to Tallin in 1999 and 2000. So pre EU. Used to pop over from Helsinki on a booze cruise (and my god, the Finn’s liked a drink at 8am). Actually getting a stamp in the passport, and changing markka to kroons felt like an adventure.
    Horrible Soviet architecture on the walk from the harbour to the old town, but the old town was lovely. Superb place. Lovely restaurants and bars

Probably changed quite a bit in the last 20 years mind.

stewartc
    Free Member

If you like snow, the beach and some great saunas hit Jurmala in Latvia, short drive from Riga.

natrix
    Free Member

Not been to Tallin but had a great weekend in Riga. Took the train to nearby Sigulda and had a couple of runs down the Olympic bobsleigh run – incredible experience. Then did some of the cheapest skiing ever on the local slopes. An evening at the ballet in the National Opera house was again incredibly cheap and a bit more cultural than the stag night offerings for most of the tourists. Wandering around the old city and taking in a few museums rounded things off niceley. ⛷ ⛷

allthegear
    Free Member

Not been to either so I recommend Riga

Rachel

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Only to Riga really liked it. Would be good for city break destination

Went to a gun range under a sports field was wicked loosing off some big old guns, inc an AK47.

Drinking was good.

Awesome cinema!

Good view from the holiday inn.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tallin or Riga for a cold winter break?’ is closed to new replies.