Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Talk to me about the Nintendo Wii
  • exilegeordie
    Free Member

So, Mrs Geordie has tasked me with acquiring a Nintendo Wii for Geordie Junior this Christmas. Despite having a PS3, I’m no gamer, and have no idea where to start with the Wii.

For example, is the console standard, or are there various versions? I’ve seen that the Wii U is due out at the end of November, but other than the flash new controller, I’m unsure what it really adds. What additional hardware would people recommend? Bear in mind, Geordie Junior is 3.5 years old, so it all needs to be fairly robust.

Finally, can people recommend any good games for younger kids please? Mario Kart will definitely feature, but what else would be appropriate? He likes the idea of tennis, but not sure how easy it’ll be for him without getting really frustrated. Equally, the idea of dancing with Mummy and Daddy appeals as well.

Oh, one more thing. I’m looking to buy second hand – anything to watch out for?
    Thanks,

Andy

2tyred

I did the same last year – I know nada about computer games, don’t like individual hand-held things, but don’t want my kids to be the only ones without a console, so figured a wii would do best. From what I could tell, the console is standard but there’s about a million variations in what games or controllers come with it. Bought ours for about 70 quid off ebay, came with console, 2 controllers, 2 nunchucks (they plug into the controllers and let you do stuff with two hands), 2 steering wheels and about half a dozen games.

My lads are 7 and 4 and they seem to play Mario Kart and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics the most. The eldest recently bought a Fifa world cup football thing for a fiver off ebay (after being talked down from spunking the 35 quid he’d saved up on Fifa 13) and is currently trying to get to grips with that.

Cougar

I think a Wii is a Wii, there are no variants other than colour.

The console should come with Wii Sports Resort, which has tennis and bowling and all that, great fun if a little shallow.

If you need an additional controller, make sure it has MotionPlus integrated.

Check the second hand market, there’ll be loads of bargains (not least because the Wii-U is imminent).

martinhutch

Wii Sports is the one with tennis and bowling, Wii Sports Resort has loads of other stuff such as Table Tennis, Fencing and of course, cycling…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9yj1L730c[/video]

Make sure that your controllers have motionplus to play sports resort though.

All the Just Dance type stuff is similar – it’s more about finding the one with songs your nipper knows.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice so far. Lots to thunk about. Having talked to colleagues, the bowling and tennis sound good for starters. As you say I’ll just have to be careful about the specs of the controllers.

Any other recommendations please? As alluded to, I don’t want to spend a load of cash if it turns out he doesn’t take to it. Second hand sounds like the way to go.

StirlingCrispin

Thud (4) enjoys boxing (in Wii Sports) and Just Dance.
    These can also be a good workout on a wet afternoon.

He struggles with Mario Kart – although Thump (6) can kick my ass on that.

gnusmas

We had a Wii for a while but ended up getting an Xbox with Kinect instead. Much better IMO as no controllers needed for the Kinect and my 4 year old loves the games on it as does my 9 year old. Got Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures for it (bowling, table tennis, penalty shoot outs etc) and my 4 year old can do it without any problems. His favorite game is Sonic Free Riders where you guide a skateboard type thing through the courses.

Also other games available that are non Kinect.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Exile, I have one that was given to me as a present that I have used twice. As new condition Wii, still boxed with Wii Sports and sports resort, also Super Mario and Dance on broadway games. 4 gamers mega sports pack (tennis racquet, baseball bat, steering wheel etc)

Email in profile if you are interested

RustySpanner

Nintendo make the most beautiful, intelligent, immersive and enjoyable games going.

Try and get one of the Zelda games for yourself and the Mrs, just to see what all the fuss is about.
    Super Mario Galaxy is also wonderful and your little un will love watching and helping you play it.

Try and pick up a cheap copy of Resident Evil 4 for yourself too if you like horror movies – it’s a great game.

Google WII reviews – lots of good sites to give you the lowdown on the best kids games – gamespot and metacritic are useful.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

BlindMelon YGM.

MrsToast
    Free Member

The Wii U is a completely different console, the next in the series. You won’t be able to play Wii U games on a Wii, and there will be virtually no new Wii games coming out as the developers will have moved onto the Wii U.

Make sure you get the right one! Although if he’s only 3 he might not care though. 😛

Cougar

‘s a good point. At three years old, a Playstation 1 should do the job and set you back about ten quid.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

I assume all existing Wii games will play on the Wii U? Though as people have already said, I don’t think 3 year olds have console bragging rights (at least I hope not!)

Cougar

I would presume so. The Wii was backwards compatible with the Gamecube. Might not be 100%, but I’d expect most will work.

martinhutch

Existing games will play on Wii U, although I’m not sure how many conventional controllers they supply, so you may need another one.

binners

I’ve lost significant chunks of my life to Mariokart

Cougar

Yeah, I’ve also bought it about twelve times on different formats.

mark_b
    Free Member

We enjoy Wii Party as a 4 player family game – simple games to determine rounds and an easy to understand board game format.

Daughter has a Kids Dance game which contains all the annoying pop songs and rhymes you’ll ever need.

mrchrispy

my experiance is that 3.5 is a little young….but I suppose it depends on the kid.

I know any computer type game turns my lad into a zombie, the house could burn down and he wouldnt move.
    we tried a number of times over the last 2 years and he really struggled when getting told it was time up, it’s only now he’s older I think he can deal with it (he 6.5 now), considering getting a Wii this year.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Fair comment MrChrispy and it’s definitely something we’ve discussed. It will be a family pastime rather than Geordie Junior going goggle-eyed by himself.

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations – it really is a bit of a minefield.

martinhutch

Oh, and if you have an HD tv, you may be able to connect via a component AV cable rather than scart, which means a better picture. Only cost a few quid on ebay.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Yup, have an AV cable input on the telly – thanks for the tip.

MrsToast
    Free Member

It will be a family pastime rather than Geordie Junior going goggle-eyed by himself.

Well, I’m slightly biased (I make games for a living…), but I always loved having games growing up. Started at the age of three with a Spectrum ZX, and went on throughout my life. I’ve got a lot of fond memories of playing video and computer games with my dad and brother, with my friends – as well as spending hours playing single player games. I think there literally isn’t a month over the past 29 years I’ve not played some computer game or other.

I also have loads of fond childhood memories of reading a huge number of books*, making paintings and animations in Deluxe Paint III, giving terrible, terrible descant recorder ‘concerts’ for the family, walks in the woods, playing in the park, water fights in summer and building dens (and running away from the old people’s home’s groundskeeper when we were trying to collect conkers…). Gaming in itself won’t turn your child into a zombie – like anything, it’s all about balance.

* I ended up reading all of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by the age of 9 because they came with the C64 text adventure! 😛

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks for the balance Mrs Toast – sounds similar to my own childhood (apart from the descant recorder of course!)

joemarshall
    Free Member

That sounds very familiar (including the descant recorder plus piano and trumpet). Except we were being told off by the old people for building dams in the stream.

I played a lot of games, plus I was programming at 7, kept doing it and my job has been as a programmer amongst other things, but I still swim a lot, bike a fair bit, run sometimes, walk, climb trees, walk up mountains for fun. And my 2 year old despite being exposed to technology still likes all that outdoorsy stuff.

I made her her first computer game recently too, which she seems to like really quite a lot, although it does slightly confuse people when she asks them if she can poke goats now (here it is).

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Wii sports is the only game that I’ve ever seen my Granma play, and she’s also pretty good at it.

*grey are alaert* I have mine softmodded so I can playback my backed up games from a USB hard drive and also use it as a media centre. This improves loading times and keeps the discs free of sticky handprints. (I don’t have kids)

The sports games, Mario Kart are great for all ages and they’re relatively short rounds so they’re fun for a festive party.

I’ve been working my way through Lego Star Wars and Zelda (Twilight Princess) when the weather has been bad, looking forward to getting my motion plus and emabarking on Skyward Sword.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

So, I think I know what to look for now. Bearing in mind I’d like the Wii Sports Resort, plus Mario Kart as a start pack, can anyone confirm I’ll need the following hardware please?

– Console
    – Sensor bar
    – 2 x controllers (with MotionPlus)
    – 2 x nunchucks
    – Double charger and nunchuck holder
    – 2 steering wheels
    – 1 x double charger unit and wall plug
    – 2 x battery packs (+ USB chargers)
    – Both 3 point & 5 point composite cables
    – Mains lead
    – Wii Sports Resort and Mario Kart games

Am I missing anything obvious from this list?
    Cheers,

Andy

Cougar

The Wiimotes run off AA’s. A pack of Eneloops and a charger might be cheaper than Ninty-specific solutions.

patriotpro
    Free Member

A game recomendation for you and yer nipper (can’t see it above) is

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves.

Oh and ‘Wii Party’.

My 6 and 2 year old have a good laugh playing them.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks cougar and thanks PP.

kevster
    Free Member

My sister also has a hardly used one, with all controllers, leads, games etc for sale.

Email on kevhowmanATgmailDOTcom if interested.

redthunder
    Free Member

I also have one for sale 🙂

Wii, Batt Chargers, Balance thing and a loads of games.

Just been told that it’s NOT FOR SALE. Even though it’s collecting dust.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

kevster YGM.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about the Nintendo Wii’ is closed to new replies.