Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Is strava for real?
  • landcruiser
    Free Member

^^^^

I just find it entertaining, I use it more as a record of my riding rather than specifically searching for segments

That! really.

bazwadah
    Free Member

the sections part works for me. for example, if I approach a section from one direction it is all up hill, if I ride it on my way home from work it is a downhill approach. I couldn’t compare whole rides like for like unless I could just cut them down to the same sections. I don’t compete against other as I’m rubbish and overbiked, but Strava is useful to motivate myself.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s good for a laugh and/or a training guide if you want one.

I’ve stopped bothering now though. I *know* I’m freaking awesome, I don’t need an app to tell me that,.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

What I dont get is people using it to “race”…

It aint racing..

If you want to race, go to a race!

I use it to log my rides & thats it.

The couple of times Ive had a KOM & lost Its never really occurred to me to go & get it back. Nor have I tried to take someone else’s..

glenh
    Free Member

What I dont get is people using it to “race”…

It aint racing..

Yes it is. Unless time trials aren’t racing.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

hexhamstu
    Free Member

etc….

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yes it is. Unless time trials aren’t racing.

Its not racing.

With Strava you can pick & chose when you want to do it. The best conditions, the day you feel at your best…blah blah blah..

With racing you turn up & deal with whatever the day throws at you. Wind, rain, other racers, etc…Strava aint like that one little bit.

You can call Strava racing if you like but for me its a cop-out & not even remotely like the real thing.

martinxyz
    Free Member

If I was as fit as I used to be I’d want to go out and nail all the sections around here with 100% effort. It’s competitiveness that still lurks in me. 2 stone+ more than what I used to weigh and a lack of strength due to just pootling along over the past 10 odd years doesn’t help either.

I still try hard on some segments. Like,100% effort. I can’t/won’t sustain the burn for the rest of the ride but It’s nice to know it should (hopefully) be recorded so that I can see how I come on over the years.. or drop off.

Anyone that says they’d have no interest recording certain sections of road or mtb rides to look back on in years to come just baffle me! I would guess these people to have no competitiveness lurking inside and have probably never raced a bike.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

You can call Strava racing if you like but for me its a cop-out & not even remotely like the real thing.

It’s not trying to be what you call “the real thing”. Who are these people you say are treating it that way? It’s a bit of harmless fun, friendly competition, and a great motivator.

russjp
    Free Member

Those who don’t like it are obviously jealous as they aren’t fast enough to be getting kom’s. I love it, I’ve won 5 today 😆

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Ok Ive had enough!
    Everyone wants to go faster, it’s inbuilt. Have you ever heard anyone say: I wish I could do that section slower? No, of course not.
    Racing, Strava, trying to beat your mate (male or female) up a hill or down a trail, trying to sneak a move on that tricky corner is all part of being a human. Celebrate it.
    Moan about Strava/your faster mate or get out and push yourself to be better.
    Or watch x-factor.

Your choice.

But don’t moan when I kick your arse (I don’t begrudge getting my arse similarly kicked)

brakes
    Free Member

fair enough if you don’t want to join in, or if you don’t get it.
    but just deal with the fact that others are, and they do.

like it or not, Strava is making people get off their arses and ride, making them more competitive, making them fitter, making them have fun.
    it is certainly a positive influence on my life.

Duggan

Never quite understand why people who don’t like Strava are so defensive and spiky about it 😆

If you don’t like it just don’t use it.

Also lolz at people endlessly repeating the meaningless mantra ‘if you want to find out how fast you are go to a race’….zzzzzzzz, I do thanks, and I also like using Strava when I’m not at a race.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ll second that

Euro
    Free Member

Thanks to this thread i think I finally understand this strava lark. I’ve seen it on here before but had no idea what you all were jibbering on about. Still not sure what a kom is, though i suppose i could google it if i really wanted to know, but I don’t.

Anyone that says they’d have no interest recording certain sections of road or mtb rides to look back on in years to come just baffle me! I would guess these people to have no competitiveness lurking inside and have probably never raced a bike.

That’s me that is apart from the competitiveness bit and the never raced bit. I personally liked going elbow to elbow with whoever I was racing. At least if they were beating me, I could t-bone them 😆

Northwind

What I really don’t understand is the people who cheat at strava- taking shortcuts, or setting up impossible KOMs etc. I mean, I can kind of understand why people cheat at racing- they want to win at all costs, because winning means something. But at Strava, winning means nothing so you can only cheat yourself.

aracer
    Free Member

The Strava haters also seem to be making up what Strava users are actually thinking. Has any Strava user ever actually claimed to be racing (apart from pointing out it’s like a TT to the Strava haters when they suggest it’s not)? It is competitive, and like many others I like it for that. But you don’t even have to compete with other people – the only Strava section I’ve done multiple times has been towing a kiddie trailer – pointless comparing myself against the KOM, but last time I rode it I did try my hardest to see how much I could beat my pb by (though to be honest I do enjoy the fact I’m still not slowest – and at some point I must upload the ride I did on the uni up there to check I’ve also beaten some people on that 😉 ) I also uploaded a TQ I did recently – was interesting to see how I did on the Strava sections – pleased to see that even whilst riding a TQ I was in the top half on a downhill section which I was riding blind, and that I was near the top on some climbs. Even more interesting though to compare my times on sections to somebody else doing the same event who’d also uploaded.

I do actually hold a couple of KOMs (and a couple of CRs for running), but they’re all for sections where I have the only time. Not sections I’ve created though, so what’s that all about? How come somebody has created a section but not set a time on it?

gb1m
    Free Member

^^^
    They would have had to have ridden it to be able to create the segment. You have the option of hiding that segment of your ride if you so wish, which is probably what they did when they realized there time was pants.

allyharp

I love Strava, but then I’ve got very few biking friends so 99.9% of my riding is alone and I’d have no means of benchmarking myself otherwise! I use it to track my own progress on trails more than anything else, as I’m very middle of the table on any segments a decent number of riders have had a shot at (eg. most of the Surrey Hills).

It’s also been a bit of any eye opener as to how little difference there is between my 2 bikes. On a particular trail segment I ride regularly, my best time for ages was using my modern 130mm hardtail with powerful disc brakes. I’ve since matched and then bettered it using a 13 year old rigid Kona with 1 cable disc and a dodgy v-brake on the rear!

martinxyz
    Free Member

I do actually hold a couple of KOMs (and a couple of CRs for running), but they’re all for sections where I have the only time. Not sections I’ve created though, so what’s that all about? How come somebody has created a section but not set a time on it?

This was getting to me earlier when I was Exploring. One dark night I had to ride north in the lashing rain at some points,and on top of that I forgot my lights so the road was barely visible. This is besides the point.. but I found a climb I rode out of a glen was a segment in the ride and I’m the KOM along with being the only one that’s ridden it. I am a bit embarrassed as theres the main segment slightly shorter than this one on the same climb where all the faster guys have nailed really good times. It looks like I made the segment to enjoy something all on my own! Jeez,all I was doing was riding somewhere to collect my car in the rain,on a climb.. with an electron backupz to light the road up. The time is shocking,too.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

So it seems that those who Strava think those who dont only dont ‘cos they are afraid?

Huh?

& those that race think Strava is for those who dont have the bottle to race?

Only one way to sort it out..

But at Strava, winning means nothing so you can only cheat yourself.

This is the thing I dont get – whats to be had from having KOMS etc? Is it purely personal fulfilment? Yeah its makes you fitter & thats good but so does training for, yeah you got it, a race..

Dont get me wrong I like Strava, its a useful tool for logging my training rides, but thats where its usefulness ends for me.

Each to their own but the faux-competitive side of it I dont get..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well a thread thats full of the usual trolling BS

It’s not a race, you can however measure your performance and use it to better yourself.
    Racing
    a) Costs Money
    b) is not always there
    c) happens in funny places miles away from where you might be

Strava is
    a) Free
    b) Always there
    c) Happens Anywhere

The safety Juan is after I comes from common sense – those without would still be riding the same.

I have never heard “STRAVA RUN” on the trails, I’ve never seen it.
    I’ve not seen corner cutting etc “FOR STRAVA”

I have seen d*** heads pushing past and passing badly on trails since I started riding about 10 years ago
    I have seen corners cut and things overrun since I started riding.

For me it’s a training tool, I enjoy the challenges and I quite like the competitiveness. It all helps.

Like the Daily Fail rants about technology causing x,y, or z, it’s the people that do not the tool.

Remember
    GunsStrava don’t Kill People RappersIdiots Do!

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m not into racing. Either involves lycra or dressing like a stormtrooper in pyjamas.

Strava to me is firstly a variation on Endomondo, Sports Tracker, etc. Tracks my routes, with a very important detail that trail segments are marked*.

Secondly it gives me some indication of performance improvement, but I don’t consider it a “fast as possible” target, but I’m looking to see how skills improvements (especially since my Jedi training) make for better trail performance. In the main I’m aiming to run a trail comfortably, in control and hope to see that I’m not as slow as a snail as I was. Really just shows the skills and confidence have improved.

Meanwhile I compare to the guys I ride with knowing their abilities (most better skilled than me) and just compare to see how I’m doing. It’s not a race to beat them, but just an indicator.

Third, it’s just fun.

* – Big issue with the segment marking though is it’s publicising trails that really shouldn’t be made public. Unofficial, dodgy, cheeky trails, or even ones that wouldn’t be safe for just anyone.

Actually, one thing Strava has told me is that climbing is where all my improvements are. So no reckless racing at all, it’s all in the climbs for me. Which is actually really annoying as I hate climbs and I never ride for the climbs, I climb for the ride. Yet the climbs are where I make my main improvements. Damn 😡 😀

Anyway, no fear from my use of Strava. I’m usually down the bottom of the table and if there’s a KOM it’s because the GPS has screwed up 😉

(which is another point. Strava is not accurate. GPS is not accurate. Each phone & GPS device varies wildly. Just compare the same ride to a friend’s, often out by miles!)

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

The hard fact of the matter is all of the data on strava is potentially inaccurate.

Anyone on there loving their times and ‘achievements’ is kidding themselves.

It’s not accurate, the times are false, and imo its a joke.

Do a real race and stop kidding yourself that you’re better than you really are.

d45yth
    Free Member

dirk_pumpa – Do a real race and stop kidding yourself that you’re better than you really are.

I think you’ll find that a lot of folk with the the KOM’s, especially on popular segments, race or have raced anyway. 🙄

deadkenny
    Free Member

dirk_pumpa – Member

Do a real race and stop kidding yourself that you’re better than you really are.
    The only thing you can rely on is comparison with your own previous rides, and that’s the main useful thing about it.

And let’s be honest Strava bashing Endomondo users… you compare your rides to previous ones don’t you? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The hard fact of the matter is all of the data on strava is potentially inaccurate.

I find it reasonably accurate when compared across a bunch of us and some GO-Pro comparison.

By your measure all timing is false. Nothing is 100% accurate. There is a tolerance.

I do race I enjoy it. I’ll just go and do one now – ah hang on there isn’t one on when I can go. My online training log is fun and works to show my improvement. Those of us using it are gaining the benefits and having fun at the same time.

Pop your pet lip back in it’s box and get out and enjoy yourself.

Strava is FUN!! Also reading back through this thread most of the “haters” have decided what it’s all about and how it work. Those of us using it seem to have got it all wrong as we don’t seem to fit the profile.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

On the longer sections I have a stopwatch running to give me split times and confirm the gps time afterwards. I only really glean satisfaction from the segments that are whole trails eg Bedgebury red route which takes a little over half an hour.

RDL-82
    Free Member

I find it reasonably accurate when compared across a bunch of us

I’ve found the opposite tbh. I’ve set off side by side with a mate, and been 3minutes quicker to the top, yet Strava said he was quicker!

Only difference being I logged my ride with my Garmin and he was using the iPhone app.

Anyone else have issues using Garmins with Strava?

sprocker
    Free Member

I got an email of Strava to say someone had taken my king of the mountain on a descent, strange in that I have never ridden down it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

RDL-82 – Member
    Only difference being I logged my ride with my Garmin and he was using the iPhone app.

Anyone else have issues using Garmins with Strava?
    Very likely the issue is the other way round. The GPS chips and receivers in phones are not as good as those in a dedicated device like a Garmin. Not only that but the chips in phones are generally tuned for car navigation and some will pause at low speeds to avoid car navigation jumping roads as low speed GPS is not so accurate. That’s aside from any pause facility in the software though Strava app itself doesn’t do any pausing, it works out the pauses itself. Pauses done elsewhere confuses Strava, though I’ve raised this with them and they claim it handles it but I know it doesn’t as it’s given me KOM on climbs that I know I’ve pushed up and even stopped, and in some cases in insane impossible times.

Oh and some Garmins etc have barometers in them and that helps get an accurate altitude as GPS altitude is not very accurate at all. Though a couple of phones have barometers now, and anyway Strava fixes the altitudes on the web site.

All said, amongst a bunch of us it’s been noted that same ride, multiple Garmins, they’re recording different times and distances. Distances in particular can be way off. But then phones are equally as bad.

Duggan

Who are these people who are ‘kidding themselves’? Where are all these people who think they’re ace because they have a KOM on Strava? Have a look through the thread, nobody who likes Strava takes it that seriously. It’s a training tool that’s also a bit of fun.

I.e, I’m top of the Fantasy Football league at work but I don’t think I’m an amazing football manager.

Also, thanks for the tip but I already do go to real races. As well as use Strava when I’m not doing that.

Try unclenching for a while, relax and you might like it 😉

miketually
    Free Member

I was flying on my on-the-way-to-work segment this morning. Took the corner into it at full pelt already in top gear, slight tailwind, feeling good. Definitely on track for a PR. Flying!

But there was a string of school kids strung across the path 2/3 of the way along, so I slowed down, rang my bell to warm them I was there. Gave them a cheery “thank you” as I passed slowly.

Then I sprinted the last third and equalled my best time of 1:48. Boom!

Strava make the commute a bit more fun. But it doesn’t automatically turn everyone using it into a corner-cutting, child-barging dick. I do probably look a bit ridiculous in an aero tuck on a 50lb cargo bike with a basket on the front though 🙂

Every Day is a Strava Day!

If I get a clear run tomorrow, I’ll take 2nd off Rob H and maybe even KOM off Richard A!

will
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    For me it’s a training tool, I enjoy the challenges and I quite like the competitiveness. It all helps.

Main reason why I use it.

I really do like Strava, love the segments and KOMs, it really does force you to push yourself on every ride.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

You’d be better off with a stopwatch.

It’s a massive pile for suckers.

aracer
    Free Member

If you hate it so much, you could just ignore it. Or are you just a-trollin?

Northwind

dirk_pumpa – Member

You’d be better off with a stopwatch.

Aye, because that does the same thing, only far worse.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

eh?

a stopwatch is as accurate as joe bloggs is going to get.

Northwind

The inaccuracy of strava means it’s pretty poor for comparing different people (because of different devices, and the ability to cheat) But for timing your own runs, it’s very good. And also logs and compares them for you. Which is why it’s far better than a stopwatch.

Obviously.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Is strava for real?’ is closed to new replies.