Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Talk to me about lino as a bathroom floor.
  • higgo
    Free Member

We’re going to have our bathroom done at some point in the future.

To date the plan was to have the floor tiled but Mrs Higs has seen a picture in a magazine of a bathroom with a ‘wood effect’ lino floor. She tells me that lino “isn’t like lino” any more.

I am sceptical.

Views?

aP
    Free Member

We’ve just finished our bathroom and used marmoleum on the floor. In traditional swirly – but you can get lots of patterns now. It has a pleasant feel underfoot and most importantly isn’t cold underfoot.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We’ve both both tiles and “lino” in ours. There is posh “lino” like amtico / karndean (sp?) that is, well, lino, but lasts mentally well. You’ll be 6 foot under before it wears out – or far more likely – tired looking at it and will want to change it (17 years in our case). Its in our kitchen – has all sorts of stuff dropped, dragged, stuck in it (no I’m not a murderer!).

If you’re not bothered about the “lino” tag – it’s really pretty good.

We had our bathrooms done ceiling to ceiling in proper tiles. Cost a bleeding fortune – the grout has started to go off colour after about 5 years. Cold to stand on. But – it does look better.

wwaswas

Lino’s fine. If you have kids then run some clear sealant around all the edges.

BurnBob
    Free Member

Went through exactly the same thought process a few weeks ago. When my wife suggested lino, I immediately though of my grans kitchen in the eighties. Got ours from a national chain and got all the sales patter. We changed our bathroom from laminate which was starting to go at the edges. Our new ‘Vinyl’ looks great, nice underfoot, non slippy. perfect for bathroom. Its like a pattern of very thin wood strips. I would reccomend it over tiles and laminate.

TiRed

Get a good one, and get a pro to fit it. We had pebbles in our last house and it was lovely. Highly recommended. Seal the edges.

project
    Free Member

If its wooden or chipboarfd floors, pannel it out with hardboard toform a smooth surface then varnish or paint it to seel the floor, then get a man in with a sharp knife to fit lino, or vinyl as its now called, and seal all edges to stop water getting under it

aP
    Free Member

Lino (or marmoleum as its now called and which is typically linseed on jute) is completely different to vinyl (which is plastic)

neninja
    Free Member

We’ve just had our bathroom overhauled and had Karndean fitted on the floor. It’s impressively good stuff. Easier to maintain than ceramics, hard wearing and not cold to walk on.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Don’t put it directly onto floorboards as a stiletto wearing friend will put their effing heel through it!

project
    Free Member

Lino (or marmoleum as its now called and which is typically linseed on jute) is completely different to vinyl (which is plastic)

Linoleum as a floor covering has been largely replaced with polyvinyl chloride (yet still colloquially known as “linoleum”), which has similar properties of flexibility and durability, but which has greater brightness and translucency and which is relatively less flammable

BurnBob
    Free Member

Technicallyinept, what would you suggest laying it onto to stop someone putting a stilleto through it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about lino as a bathroom floor.’ is closed to new replies.