Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Talk to me about laminate flooring…
  • bfebikerchap
    Free Member

Evening all,

I want to put a laminate floor down in my man cave – nothing fancy. My concern is that the OSB subfloor was cut from 2 different pieces of board and 1 is 1 – 1.5mm thicker than the other – there’s almost nothing in it, but is it going to be an issue for laying laminate? What should i use under the laminate?

Cheers
    M

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I don’t think 1.5mm will throw up any problems, just try to lay the planks at 90 degrees to the ‘step’. I’ve always used the thin foam underlay.

bfebikerchap
    Free Member

Thanks Wobbliscott!

jim25

No that’ll be fine. You’ll need an underlay and they can take out small imperfections in the floor. What type of floor is it?
    Concrete/screed – you’ll need an underlay with a damp membrane built in.
    As above try and lay at right angles to the step

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

If you;re using the thin cheap underlay, perhaps put a double layer down on the lower part?

chip board floor boards come in 18 or 22mm, not sure about the OSB you have. Check the depth accurately just in case?

tiggs121
    Free Member

You’d be better placed if you sanded/planed the “step” to create a gentle slope.
    Underlay will help too.

brian1001
    Free Member

If it’s not going to be an expensive project then as an option for you to put under the laminate and the plywood and (right?) you can go with cardboard underlay or if you are worried about a moisture problem go with which is perfectly suitable for laminate.

bfebikerchap
    Free Member

Thanks guys. The osb started the same size but during the construction phase one took on a bit more moisture than the other and swelled a bit. I think I will Sandie the edge as suggested to make it less pronounced and then use the thin foam underlay. Hopefully the job will be a good’un!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about laminate flooring…’ is closed to new replies.