Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Talk to me about guitar strings…
  • Harry_the_Spider

Sounds stupid but I know nothing about them and I’ve just snapped the High E on my lad’s electric.

Are they all the same, or are the (very) cheap ones crap? He’s 9 BTW and not exactly Tom Morello. Yet.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Never bothered with particularly cheap or particularly expensive strings. Always gone with standard Ernie Ball strings in whatever gauge, currently Skinny Top Heavy Bottom for me.

funkmasterp

As above. Can’t go wrong with Ernie Ball strings.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Talk to me about guitar strings…

They’re a poor substitute for piano wire if you’re garrotting a Sicilian gangster.

Apparently.

Harry_the_Spider

hi-larious.

Meanwhile. This sort of thing?

durhambiker
    Free Member

That would appear to just be a pack of 6 of the same string. A pack of Regular Slinkys is what you’ll be after

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky

Harry_the_Spider

I figured that I’d probably snap it again 😀

Regular slinkys? this like a foreign language!

this?

DB, that amp is getting some stick by the way. Which is why I feel bad about taking the guitar out of service.

CountZero

Wot they sed, up there ^^

durhambiker
    Free Member

Whilst it’s likely you’ll break the same string again, you’ll kick yourself when 5 minutes after changing it you snap a different string and don’t have a replacement. I tend to keep a few full sets on hand.

Good to hear the amp is getting used!

Harry_the_Spider

Ordered a pack. Thanks for the advice.

The Boy is actually getting quite good. He’s left me way behind. A Waka-Waka James Bond Theme is all I can confidently do. He’s able the read music now.

user-removed
    Free Member

Ernie Balls on the ‘leccy, Martins on the acoustic.

My electric guitar is so awful that it doesn’t .and any difference. Might as well stick brake cables on it! Must buy another half decent one.

user-removed
    Free Member

Oh, and a string winder is an essential bit of kit and very cheap. As he plays more and snaps more strings you’ll appreciate it.

MartynS

As mentioned slinkys are good. I like di’addario xl.
    I can’t explain it but some strings feel different to others. I never got on with rotosound for example.
    Get on eBay, you can get 3 sets for about £11-12ish
    If he’s only 9 might be worth buying lighter gauge strings 8-38 might work
    While you’re there if the finger board is dark wood (not maple) might be worth getting some lemon oil to clean and lubericate it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ernie Ballz, £5 a packet, get two.

Is this thread over now ?

Is dissapoint..

Harry_the_Spider

Is this thread over now ?

Not at all. Crack on!

I love listening to him play because he can’t usually be arsed with anything else.

Guitars, Star Wars and farting, That is pretty much all he does.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get him to fart the theme to Star Wars whilst accompanying himself on Guitar.

I’d pay good money to see that.

Harry_the_Spider

He already can. 😕

durhambiker
    Free Member

That’s an idea for a YouTube channel if ever I heard one.

Klunk
    Free Member

usual get these

AdamT

Snobs on ‘the fretboard’ (guitar forum) seem to look down on Ernie Balls. I’ve had no problems but tend to use d’addarios now.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Always the way, but plenty of guitarists I respect rate them.

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’t get the poor kid 10-46, he’ll struggle to bend. 8-38 as suggested by Martyn or 9-46 if he likes playing metal with the E string dropped to D or lower. I use 8-42 or 9-46 buying individual strings as needed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

All basic level strings are pretty much the same, brand by brand there is very little difference.. it just becomes a cost issue..
    For your Son just stick to a base level brand and he’ll be fine, once he’s turned into Joe Satriani he will no doubt pick his own strings from the same brands he’s using now but just higher up the price range.. and not that high up neither.

mattyfez

I’ve always used earni balls super slinky on electric they are fairly lightweight. 9-42 so kinda middle of the road in thickness.

I use martin medium 80/20 bronze on the acoustic, bit thick for my liking but sound well, more depth to the sound.

molgrips
    Free Member

I find it harder to make chords with really thin strings, because as I press it it bends the string more and the pitch changes slightly. Plus I found 8s break really easily. But then I also play acoustic so I am used to pressing hard.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Wow, are you all 5 year old girls 😯

Take it from someone that teaches 60 kids a week, they’ll bend 9-42, 9-46, 10-48 equally as easily with a couple of days to adjust.

11-54 on my electrics here.

But all of this is confusing to Harry! I’d nip into your local guitar shop and ask for a set of standard guage electric guitar strings….99% of people will class 9-42’s as standard guage of electric strings and it’s highly likely that that is what is on the guitar now. Brand of string won’t really matter to a beginner tbh…..it’s not as if they’re going to be out gigging them is it? They’ll all last just as long as each other in the hands of a beginner ime

Edukator
    Free Member

You don’t teach stuff with big bends on the first three frets then Tom, they’d cut their fingers, and to quote someone quite good “why are you working so hard”. The acoustic in my hands is strung 9 11 14 28 42 52.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Back in the day I used to used EB hybrid slinkys. They used to get changed everyday when on tour so how long they held was never really important. These days I’ve become a big fan of D’Addario strings. They sound much brighter than EBs and they keep their brightness much longer and they feel smoother when you play them, too.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I like D’addario NY XL’s 10s. but they’re too expensive for yer 9 year old, just get him ernie ball super slinky 9s, they’ll do perfectly fine.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Hybrid Slinkies were my choice back in the day. These days I am on Rotosound Blues which I am rather liking.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Cut their fingers?!?! They’re guitar strings not razor wire!!!

Not gonna quote anyone famous, but my electrics are strung exactly the same way as John Mayer…. whom does alright for himself!

No right or wrong answer obviously it’s personal preference, but really….no one is going to be cutting fingers! (I’ll concede that a nine year old probably won’t be bending 11-54’s very far in first position!)

sbob
    Free Member

My father is a greater guitar player than you will ever hear.
    He plays with Ernie Balls.
    I play with Elites on my bass, but this forum is chock full of honkies so that won’t mean much.
    😀

stevehine

D’addario 110’s on the electric; Elites on the bass.

I used to break the high E string fairly regularly with Ernie Balls and they seem to tarnish quicker (it could just be that I look after them better now of course) … Maybe buy a couple of different brands and swap once a month see if you notice a difference ?

giantalkali
    Free Member

He plays with Ernie Balls.
    I play with Elites on my bass, but this forum is chock full of honkies so that won’t mean much.

Am I allowed to be offended by ‘Honkies’? I love to play with Ernie’s Balls.

What Tom B said, get 9-42, totally normal strings, it makes bugger all difference on an electric anyway. Usually about £6 or so and comes in a cool packet.

plumber
    Free Member

ernie balls

never change my strings unless they break

Edukator
    Free Member

How is plastic cooler than cardboard and paper when the cardboard and paper are recycled and the plastic incinerated? That said Addario have started putting their thin strings in plastic but the outer packaging remains cardboard.

giantalkali
    Free Member

How is plastic cooler than cardboard and paper

When the packet has an eagle on it. I expect he doesn’t care about recycling any more than left foot braking.

tillydog
    Free Member

Just pop to your LGS and buy a single string??? It might be a .009 or a .010, so take a bit of the old one to compare. Buy a couple of spares while you’re there.

seosamh77
    Free Member

buy a single string?

no, no, no, no, no!

If you are breaking the E string, you aren’t stringing up on correctly. It breaking has nothing to do with force of playing. I probably play harder than most and pretty much never break a string.

mattyfez

Yeh with the price of single strings, you may as well just buy full sets even if you don’t use them all, so you’ll have spares.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about guitar strings…’ is closed to new replies.