Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Taking the dog to Northern Ireland
  • toby

Has anyone got recent experience of taking their dog with them to Northern Ireland? We’re thinking of visiting the wife’s family and it would be nice to take the dog, but I don’t entirely follow the current situation. UK and NI government websites appear to give a list of requirements (passport, export health certificate, rabies jab, etc.) but then go on to say that these won’t be checked.

Is this just not checked routinely but I should have them, or have they effectively suspended these requirements? Everything seems to be very carefully worded to explicitly state it’s the checks that are suspended.

Probably would be going Cairnryan to Belfast on the fast ferry if that makes any difference.

Sandwich

If you can prove the dog is normally resident in UK and not being trans-shipped from mainland Europe it will be golden. Normally your registered chip in the dog should be sufficient proof of residence, confirm this with your vet.

nicko74

Is this just not checked routinely but I should have them, or have they effectively suspended these requirements? Everything seems to be very carefully worded to explicitly state it’s the checks that are suspended.

Probably would be going Cairnryan to Belfast on the fast ferry if that makes any difference.

Effectively suspended is the official wording, “not actually checked at all” is what we experienced.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Proddy or left footer ?

onehundredthidiot

We went to see family in the Republic going cairnryan to Belfast. Jabbed and animal health certificates. Not asked or checked once. In theory they should be due to NIs status. The AHC paperwork sates that it is needed in and out of NI with tapeworm jabs needed if heading on to mainland Europe through NI.
    But as above the checks are suspended we were a bit worried as we were ending up in Tipperary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.