• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ji.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • TAKE YOUR LANE- enforcing the 3ft rule. Who's getting one?
  • cokie

Not convinced this is a great idea..
    More here..

martinhutch

Not so good for pedestrians. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member
    wwaswas

BlobOnAStick

Mounts on the non-drive side

Hmmm. Not for the UK then!

Mister-P
    Free Member

“When asked how drivers react to the flag, David told us that the reaction around his home in Washington, DC has been great.”

Yes, lots of waving, probably of the middle finger I would imagine.

funkweasel
    Free Member

What’s needed is a battery-powered angle grinder on a pole. You could even wire it into one of those new Garmin radar things, so that when a car approaches, the pole comes down, the grinder starts up and you get to cycle in safety* as cars pass you wide enough.

Other than the fact you have a couple of kg of angle grinder lifting up and down, plus, it’s an angle grinder.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

That’s going to ruin my Strava times.

zilog6128

Dumb idea because it’ll prevent you moving to the middle of the road to avoid the door zone or being t-boned at junctions.

bails

. Dumb idea because it’ll prevent you moving to the middle of the road to avoid the door zone or being t-boned at junctions.

Why would it? If you’re in the middle of the lane (rather than riding along the white line in the middle of the road) then you’d have three feet+ of space to your right (given then typical car lanes are 7ft+ wide) so there’d be room for the flag. And you arguably wouldn’t have to move out so far because the flag would be making you more visible and preventing dodgy overtakes in the same way that taking primary does.

You wouldn’t be able to filter or use a shared use path though.

And I agree that it’s a dumb idea.

aracer
    Free Member

Given you’ve just explained why it isn’t, why do you still think it is?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Why are the arrows pointing towards the bike? Shouldn’t they point away from it as that’s where you want the cars to go?

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, I was thinking that. I think they’ve just done a logo (see banner behind bike) without considering how it would work on the flag – though it would be fine here.

scaredypants

I’ve always fancied a stick with a rubber version of, say this on the end:

jimslade
    Free Member

Three foot stick with a bottle of brake fluid at the end? Problem is you’d need to carry about fifty refills just for one of Sheffield’s racing hills.

chip
    Free Member

A guy near me spins his seat post mounted mudguard 90 degrees to the right when riding on the road to encourage drivers to take a wider birth.

scaredypants

when/if I start commuting I’m definitely having 2 of these fitted along a length of plastiuc pipe that’ll be mounted laterally behind my saddle, probably one each side of centre

I’ve got the bits, just need to bodge up a mounting mechanism

bails

Given you’ve just explained why it isn’t, why do you still think it is?

You wouldn’t be able to filter or use a shared use path though

And think of the aerodynamics! And you’re liable to get punched in the face by some arsehole who thinks you’re out to block the road for no good reason.

How firmly attached is it? If I, when driving, give the required (in bits of the US) 3 feet of space when passing a cyclist do I now need to be 6 feet away from the cyclist because of the 3 ft flag? Or should I be 3 feet from the cyclist? In which case I’ll be brushing the flag. If the cyclist wobbles and the flag gets snagged on my pickup, will that be enough to drag the cyclist over?

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, so the correct answer is “because I didn’t read the information in the link”

eshershore
    Free Member

always find vehicles give me a very wide berth as I ride this around our area!

ji
    Free Member

Is that a Push me Pull you?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘TAKE YOUR LANE- enforcing the 3ft rule. Who's getting one?’ is closed to new replies.