Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Switching specialized Roval traverse from spline to XD….
  • DrP

Just thinking at the mo…

I’ve got the Carbon Comp 29er..it comes with Roval traverse wheels (not carbon) and SRAM NX cassette…This is on a 9/10 speed freehub..
    For just over £100 i could get the GX cassette and shed 200+gm. But it needs the XD body.

I gather the hub is likely to be DT 360.. so would I just need the compatible XD freehub body?
    Can anyone suggest which one I need as there seems to be LOADS of DT /XD driver bodies!!

Thanks all!!

DrP

DrP
    argee

If it’s a 360 hub then it’ll need the pawl freehub as above, if it’s a 350 it’ll need the ratchet freehub, best bet is to just check what hub it is by pulling off the freehub to check.

philjunior
    Free Member

I gathered the same about my hub, but I don’t believe it is the same.

However… Several OEM hubs are similar, to the point of having identical freehub and axles. I’ve been meaning to check the dimensions on my GF’s bike to see if I can fit one of those freehubs (the axle has threaded end caps on both of them, with a locknut on the NDS to locate the wheel sideways). Check your wheel out and see if it’s similar. A friendly LBS with a Specialized account might be able to help.

DrP

When I get a chance I’ll take the hub apart!
    Anyway..I ordered the GX cassette for £114…if it all goes pear shaped i’ll just take it back to ASDA for free returns….

Or…might have a look at the Hunt carbon enduro wheels..I could get that with XD and save the faff!!!

DrP

mattbee

My Roval SL wheels used the ratchet type free hub. Handy as it meant I could get a Shimano 12 speed hub.

Tracey

Can’t help you with the free hub as we just swapped spare wheels around and fitted a couple of X0 cassettes on that we had
    I would give Specialized a ring and get the correct part number. They have always been helpful with us in the past.
    If you are going the carbon route its worthwhile getting them with the crash replacement warranty. They do look good though.

Northwind

Specialized stick the Roval brand on pretty much anything they can so the only way to know for sure is to open it up… I discovered they didn’t even know what spokes were in mine or what endcaps would fit.

DrP

Tracey…. That’s what put me off the spec carbon rovals… Not crash replacement, just defect….

DrP

DrP

Righto… I tried taking the hub apart and was hindered by two things..
    The winging kids!
    And the NDS needs a 12mm Hex key in it as the DS adaptor seems to screw off the axle… It IS a 3 pawl body though..
    Anyone got any ideas??!!!

DrP

philjunior
    Free Member

Sounds like a similar configuration to mine. DS has a left hand thread on it.

If it’s the same as mine, You’ll need 2 19mm spanners, one will need to be a cone spanner (I think the other side is 17mm but couldn’t be sure.) as well as the hex.

Don’t go too hard with the hex in the NDS end, as it’s very thin metal surrounding it – the nut should hold things in place to a degree but it’s still a little bit fragile, you’re better using the flats on the NDS locknuts to get it moving if it’s on tight. Replacement freehubs (IME) come with an axle though, so that’s not the end of the world if it gets damaged as long as you can get your XD driver freehub.

DrP

aha…just popped back to the shop i got the bike from (they’re pals, too) and we looked on the specialized website..
    It seems it’s a formula hub, and they are sourcing the XD freehub body. Bonus, it’s only about £30 too!

DrP

DrP

UPDATE….

I cancelled the order for the XD adaptor for the Roval wheels as the shop said it might be about £60…
    Was umming and ahing over whether to get carbon wheels… teh Hunt carbons look nice, but are 29mm internal, and I’m comfy riding 30+mm on trail bikes…
    So, went for the Hunt Trailwides (30mm internal) which are about the same weight as the carbons!!

A lot of my riders suggested carbon doesn’t have significant benefits, and as I know the Hunt guys, and have ridden for them before, I got some discount … billy bargain!

The new wheels and GX cassette have knocked 600gm off the rolling weight (pretty much 200gm per wheel and cassette)…

Nice!!

DrP

andybrad

I was going to say I bet they are formula hubs. I could have helped you out there

Anyway glad your sorted and hope your enjoying the bike

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Switching specialized Roval traverse from spline to XD….’ is closed to new replies.