Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Swinley Permits – Jeepers!
  • flamejob
    Free Member

Up £4 in 2 years. Yikes

Is that because those of us who actually buy a year permit are subsidizing the 90% who don’t?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Something like that I guess. When I lived down that way I used to be quite self-rightious about the Swinley, buying ine every year and sneering at those who didn’t but then I started to question why I bothered. Walkers never had permits nor (I believe) did horse riders, yet both of these groups needed to be covered under some sort of public liability insurance, apparently what the lion’s share of the cycling permit was for. Also with so few actually bothering to permits and a very slim chance if ever being caught without one (in 6 years of riding there I only saw one person ever checking permits) it seemed even more pointless getting one. Of course it begs thebquestion as to what a ‘baliff’ would be able to do were they to see a group of riders without permits?

forge197
    Free Member

Last year I rode Swinley at a guess over 50 times therefore the value of the pass is excellent, some of the money also goes into the trail maintenance too.

Even at £18 for the year it’s good value for what is offered and the parking is free as well.

I hope it’s not subsidising those that don’t that would not be so good.

flamejob
    Free Member

I once heard a ranger joke that if someone was lying bleeding, that he would check the permit before carting you off to A&E. They should do something like confiscate your front wheel, or something.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve only ever seen one person checking permits. On the other hand I agree with forge, its good value for money as it’s my default riding spot if I don’t want to have to think about where to go.

thepurist

I’ve just renewed our permits – it’s a 2 minute ride from the door & I’ve always assumed that a chunk of the cash goes toward trail maintenance so paying 35p a week to have that lot at my disposal seems like a no brainer. BTW, anyone know what’s what with getting more involved in the trail pixie-ing? Might have a bit more time on my hands this year…

fu_manchu
    Free Member

In about 10 years I’ve never seen anyone checking the permit. But basically free parking, insurance etc for £18 seems fine to me!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Do walkers have to pay for parking and insurance?

andywhit
    Free Member

I believe that horse riders also require a permit at Swinley (for £165), walkers don’t.

http://www.theroyallandscape.co.uk/thingstoseeanddo/horse-riding.cfm

Parking is free to all.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

£18 seems good value. Stop worrying about what other users are paying. Unless you walk there or ride a horse there what does it matter.

shortcut

It would be useful if someone posted details of how to get a permit on here so that those without the know how or not on the mailing list can apply for them and absolve themselves of guilt.

thepurist

Shortcut – this email from Gorrick should cover it:

Dear riders,

Just a reminder that your Annual Permit to cycle at Swinley Forest expires on 31 March, so now is the time to renew it to get another whole year’s riding in the forest. We thank you for your support which has enabled us to continue with our programme of improvements and maintenance on a range of trails in the forest which will be ongoing throughout the year. Buying or renewing a permit is simple, you can either do it ONLINE at http://www.mbsawebsite.com , at the hire bike centre at The Look Out or at one of the listed retailers.

You may be interested to know that we are introducing a range of mountain bike skills training courses in Swinley Forest this year, to suit every type of rider, and so help you to get the most out of your riding and the forest. Full detail are at our website http://www.gorrick.com

GORRICK MBC

soobalias
    Free Member

never bought an annual one.

probably should have done last year.

jacksta
    Free Member

re the trail pixie question – the next working day is this saturday (4th). Trail maintenance is done by the BoB moutain bike club (www.bobmbc.com). I would assume all hands are welcome, get in touch with the Gorrick guys or the Bob info email and find out where to meet.

There are also a couple of guys in the club who are out mid week most weeks in the summer building new or fixing stuff between working days

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

PAYING ?? To ride in the SARF ??? Madness 🙁

soobalias
    Free Member

typical norverners.

short arms, deep pockets.

flamejob
    Free Member

I might be up for a bit of trail pixieness

*looks for details

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

short arms, deep pockets.

just as well it’s free round here then :o)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I bought a praking pass for the local 7 stanes. £20 for 12months and its nearly paid for itself already.

Simon, do you pay to park when you ride in the lakes? Do you spend some money at the tea shops etc when you ride. If not then you are indeed a leech

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve seen people park for free then ride over to the CyB trails!

theotherjonv

I think the issue is that cycling on that area (away from bridleways of course) is by permission only. If the Crown Estate wanted to stop it they could in an instant – just declare it off limits to cyclists – and while there would still be the potential to ‘nick some cheeky trails’ that becomes a bigger offence that affects us all.

It’s also the liability issue. If trails are in there and are publicised to an extent, then i guess there could always be a chance that if someone hits a load of walkers, or injures themselves badly and tried to sue the land owners, however tenuous or unlikely, there’s a problem created there as well. The permit buys you liability insurance very cheaply to cover this.

Fuller details here: http://www.gorrick.com/swinley/permits.php

Bottom line. You probably are unlikely to get ‘caught’ and even if they do what can they do? Ultimately, they could ban cycling from the forest. So this needs to be self policing. There is a great resource there, make it your business to have a permit and also make sure your riding mates do too. It’s in all of our interests to be responsible and for the sake of £2, or £18 for the year – it’s not a lot to ask is it?

[sorry – late edit]

And if you do see someone without a permit remind them they need one. You don’t have to aggressively ‘police’ it, many’s the time I’ve reminded riders they need one only for them to say they weren’t aware of it. Sure, you get a few that tell you to sod off and stop bothering them, but they’re just c0cks, aren’t they.

GDRS

Hmm.

I pay – the value of Swinley to me is that it is an all year venue. When the North Downs are a mud bath – or we have only got 2 or 3 hours to ride Swinley is a great resource to have to hand.

My views on paying for things have changed as I have got older – if I can I will, especially if I can see the benefit.

It would be a real pain in the arse if pay and display appeared for cars in the car park for those that drive there (I tend to come 50% of the time on the train) – and as for insurance etc it would be the worst outcome if the health and saftey brigade got a look in based on a balence sheet outcome due to a / some large liability claim(s).

It all good – Mrs GDRS can have a pre-ride pee in the warm – and there are tea and buns at the end. Not all related to the forest and the riding I know, but the power of a toilet when you have your wife as your number one riding buddy is, men on here take note, not to be under estimated.

Drink five pints of larger less and it has paid for itself. Bargin.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The difference in the quality of trail maintainence that swinley can afford is terrific though, compared to here in bristol where we pretty much have to beg for a bit of gravel here and there to jam in the worst holes.

shortcut

TP

Thanks for the info, although only a very occasional rider there (probably about 6 times last year and most of that after 6pm) I have now purchased a season ticket. Haven’t been there yet this year so had better get some value out of it and get over there.

My conscience is now appeased!

theotherjonv

I think the permit runs from 1/4 to 31/3 so would assume that you’ll get a full year’s worth from it! You haven’t missed out at all yet!

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Swinley is great. I usually buy a permit but I might just get the annual one.

Discovered so many more trails there this weekend. A lot of effort goes in to the maintenance and also clearing up the rubbish! Well worth it.

andywhit
    Free Member

>A lot of effort goes in to the maintenance

The trail maint guys reckoned that they put down nearly 200 tonnes of material during the last trail maintenance session (over several days).

catfood
    Free Member

I wouldnt go telling people off for not displaying permits, I always keep mine in my camelback, I go there on differet bikes so keeping it on the bike is out and it jiggles around if you keep it on your helmet. as long as it can be produced if asked for by someone of relevance that should be enough.

cinnamon_girl

As a matter of interest, has anyone had to “use” the third party liability insurance, either at Swinley or elsewhere? Just curious really.

theotherjonv

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting you need to tell people off. Just as per above, there are people riding there that are not aware of the need of a permit, and most will accept the information in good grace, and those that don’t are ar5es anyway.

I find the permit fits nicely around a rear helmet vent, I’ve seen others with it on their Camelback strap, but equally as long as you can produce it, I can’t see an issue.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simon, do you pay to park when you ride in the lakes?

no car, but anyway there’s plenty of free parking most places

Do you spend some money at the tea shops etc when you ride. If not then you are indeed a leech

Does not half my income go in taxes ? Here’s the deal, I want none of my tax spent on weapons, military, roads, stadiums or banks, and the whole lot ring fenced for poverty relief, particularly suicidal farmers down to their last 3 range rovers.

catfood
    Free Member

I find it keeps digging into me head if I put it in a rear helmet vent.

I think anyone cycling there more than once must know it`s permit only there are signs all over the shop.

aleigh
    Free Member

I’m buying mine this weekend!

petetheplumber
    Free Member

I love the permit system, 3 times this year I have stopped or shouted at motorbike riders, I found one on the corkscrew and got “quit angry”. I can shout at them because I have a permit to ride they don’t. I would hate to finally get a motorbike rider get the police in to cube his bike just to find I have no permit to be there myself. Its also handy with dog walkers who let there dogs bite or course a danger. If a dog does bite you and you inform the police you could look a bit stupid if you where there with no permit. Its your protection and gives you the right to ride on private land with loads of track for £18.

flamejob
    Free Member

hey pete you didn’t get a cut for clearing the corkscrew did you? (joke)

I keep mine on the back of my Camelbak (four at the moment)

BTW I sent an email to BOB about trailpixieness and no reply yet!

petetheplumber
    Free Member

Didn’t get a cut but it was almost a murder seen when I found the motorbike on the corkscrew. I don’t do the BOB thing I just go around later a fill holes and general keep the area cleared.

theotherjonv

Flamejob – try Jon Lucas at Gorrick for trail pixie-ing, it’s a joint effort but Jon’s the brains behind the brawn.

Send it FAO Jon at info[at]gorrick[dot]com and i’m sure he’d be glad of the help.

andywhit
    Free Member

I think that due to insurance reasons when trail maint’ing then all maintenance has to be done by Berks on Bikes (BOB) members. If you join BOB then you get a Swinley permit as part of the annual membership 🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Do you get a shonky old Marin full-sus and a beard as well?

theotherjonv

leave Ken out of this, S&J

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Permits – Jeepers!’ is closed to new replies.