• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jca.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Swimmers – water trapped in ear
  • scratch
    Free Member

It's doing my head in now! changed my breathing to give me a more head down position, thing is my right ears been full of water for two days.

Tried to soak it up using tissue to no effect, any ideas before I stick a syringe down there or go to the doc's?

iainc

I used to get this quite a lot – docs unlikley to do anything – you can try blowing with nose pinched, otherwise be patient – at least that's what they told me ! Oh, and get some ear plugs to wear in the pool, only a few quid and solved it for me

duffmiver
    Free Member

put the affected ear on your shoulder. jump up and down a few times. it always works for me.

scratch
    Free Member

Tried blowing, usually solves it but not this time? eaplugs wise, will yellow saftey bungs do the job or are they a little more specific?

richmars

Just lean your head over and shake. Works for me.

njee20
    Free Member

put the affected ear on your shoulder. jump up and down a few times. it always works for me.

+1, simple as it sounds, I've always found you can shake it out!

scratch
    Free Member

Shaking dosnt appear to have any effect, I'll keep trying.

iainc
    ebygomm
    Free Member

As annoying as it is, it's a really satisfying feeling when it finally frees itself.

On a more practical level, I find yawning and tipping the head to the affected side can help. Never found a foolproof method.

Wearing earplugs stops the problem but I hate them.

bigbadbaz
    Free Member

Daft as it sounds pour some more water into your ear, then lay on your side with your ear facing to the floor and massage the side and bottom of your ear,put a towel underneath your head, the extra water will "drag" the trapped water out.
    Have to do it every so often when I have been diving into the pool.

iainc

I hated the plugs at first, but got used to them. In fact, I swam without them for the first time in ages last week (was getting a 'Shaw method' coaching session and need to hear) and found it totally weird feeling with water in my ears. Now I can't even swim right as mixing up my 'self taught school version' with Shaw Method..grrrrr. roll on second coaching session on Thu !

joolsburger
    Free Member

My colleague had this and got an ear infection so bad it popped his eardrum.

I'd nip down the docs.

simon_g

Alcohol. IPA if you have it, vodka if not.

Edit: you can buy "swim ear" from a pharmacist. It's basically IPA in a dropper bottle that makes it easier to put a drop or two in your ear.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

shake head vigorously from side to side for a few seconds, tilt head so affected ear is down, open mouth in a yawn, bash head with heel of hand just above ear. Repeat until water is gone.
    Always works for me…

jonathan
    Free Member

I started having a problem with this last year, made worse by the water making the wax in my ear swell up, making me deaf (temporarily!)

Swimear (ie alcohol) works OK for very small amounts of water, but doesn't do much it seems if there's more than that. If I do get water in now I'm desperate to get it out as I know if I don't I'll probably go deaf in that ear for a while. The only good way of getting the water out for me was recommended by a GP, but clearly isn't "official" advice (it was my mum!) – and that's to rip and twist a bit of kitchen roll into a long thin "spike" and then GENTLY poke it in to suck up the water. It's very absorbment and usually works if you haven't managed to shift it by the more physical methods. Don't be tempted to get pushy with it though – nice and gentle to avoid poking your ear drum or pushing wax onto it.

If you're having problems with wax (which can be exacerbated by swimming) then syringing yourself is perfectly easy… drip some olive oil into your ear a few times a day then wash out that syringe you use to bleed your brakes and gently flush your ear with warm water 😉

Speedo Biofuse earplugs are absolutely brilliant for me after trying mouldable silicon ones and Zoggs. Highly recommended.

nockmeister
    Free Member

water…MTFU…I once got a fly stuck down my lug hole on a ride…for 2 fookin hours it buzzed in my head. Had to have my ear shringed the following day

Rio

Try putting your head to one side (the affected side) and then banging your head on that side with the heel of your palm. Works for me, but best not to do it in public as people tend to think you're a nutter (or so I've found).

nicko74

Maybe I've not had the worst swimmer's ear, but this always works for me:
    – hang onto something solid
    – whip your head to the side that has the wet ear (ie rotating your neck, keeping your head fairly level).
    – repeat a couple of times.

As suggested by a mate who used to do masses of galas (galae?) and suchlike.

bonj
    Free Member

i've got it out with the hoover before. Seriously.

sophiethomson
    Free Member

try yawning and tilting your head right over, usually it'll just come out. i surf and am always getting water forced into my lugholes lol..it works its way out 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

get some WD40 on the job.

BOSH!

jca

Swimmers? water in ear? Is that an invitation?

How many do you reckon you can get in there? 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Swimmers – water trapped in ear’ is closed to new replies.