• This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Swearing at a female
  • smell_it
    Free Member

I was told that on bike forum that if I thought a man swearing at a woman was wrong, that made me a sexist?

I disagree, but what do you think?

ElShalimo

I think you should ignore them.

Rubber_Buccaneer

If sexism is when you treat sexes differently what do you think?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Its equally as wrong as a woman swearing at a man

CountZero

Dunno about sexist, it’s certainly impolite.

bodgy
    Free Member

To be honest, smell_it, I think that you are asking a very, very low level trolling type question.

If you can’t work it out for yourself, you should probably have a little think about what constitutes good manners, being a gentleman, trying to be the most elegant person you can be.

Failing that, try not to pick your nose at traffic lights. It’s a good start.

taxi25
    Free Member

“I think you should ignore them.”

Definitely, unfortunately some forum members are rapidly disappearing up their own arses. It seems to be getting worse all the time. ☹☹

Cougar

Swearing “at” or swearing “in front of”?

Different scenarios regardless of gender.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Depends whether or not the ****** deserves it.

pitduck
    Free Member

help, help I`m triggered, a man I don’t know said a word I don’t like to a woman I don’t know and it’s blown my mind.what about the children, has anybody thought of the children.

rOcKeTdOg

what about the children, has anybody thought of the children.

Are you swearing in front of them or just thinking about them, one could be worse than the other depending on exactly what you are thinking about them 🤔☹

kerley
    Free Member

If you also think that a man swearing at a man is wrong then you just don’t like people swearing at each other which is fine.

However, if you are saying don’t swear at a woman because they are a woman yet are happy to swear at men then I can see the problem.  Why would you be “protecting” women from it?

If it is politeness, manners etc,. then why not for men too?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Using verbal aggression is normally a very poor way to conduct oneself and may speaks volumes of inner-character.   However, swearing is not always aggressive, and the spectrum goes from  ‘mild’ swearing to ‘very strong’ or ‘raging’.  Context is important in determining.   Cursing at one’s thumb if found unexpectedly beneath a swinging hammer is admirable.  Cursing at another living being beneath the arc of one’s swinging fist?  Not so much.  Unless of, course, one is simply ‘returning the favour’ (assuming without too bold a dividend)

Swearing at a woman is sexist if you are swearing at her only because she is a female (or trans-female), but not for any other reason AFAIK.  As always, mileages vary.  Treat each individual with respect.  If you (for good reason) believe that they do not deserve respect, then at least keep respect for yourself in any dealings with them.

Here endeth Thought For Sunday 😇

dannybgoode

I swear at Mrs Danny all the time and she swears at me. It is however all I jest.

I’ll tell both male and female colleagues you **** off but then so do they all and it’s within ‘agreed’ parameters.

That said I can’t of many occasions where I’d go up to a random male or female and swear at them.

It is all about the context of the situation, how will you know the person etc and it’s nothing to do with gender.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pffft..I worked with a ‘female’ who’s 2nd name was Matthews, her nickname was Bernard. She(?) was the most foul mouthed prison officer in the jail (& a generally horrible, lazy thing as well.) I can’t even quote stuff she used to say on here cos it would be all *’s.
    Mrs Egf & me are going to the wedding of another ex colleague in July & I reckon Bernard will be there, I’ll be giving her a very wide berth cos my Mrs hates swearing, speshly the stuff Bernard comes out with.

smell_it
    Free Member

@ bodgy I not sure what’s trolling, or what I have to work out. I happened to suggest that a fellow forum member was out of order.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/legalities-of-collisions-on-bike-paths/

I was a bit surprised that initially it just seemed to be me, but seems it’s not. Perhaps to avoid ‘trolling’ next time, I’ll just leave it.

kilo

Tbh, and not meaning to be rude or trolling, I found your use of lass in the original thread more “thought provoking” than the op swearing at a female. I’d regard that as quite a patronising / demeaning word to use.

surfer
    Free Member

I swore at a women a few months back after she had deliberately driven her car at me when I was running across the road. She actually swore at me first, I then went on to smash her wing mirror ( I actually didnt meant to break it I meant to flick it backwards but the car was old and it shattered into pieces) tough shit really.

maccruiskeen

help, help I`m triggered, a man I don’t know said a word I don’t like to a woman I don’t know and it’s blown my mind.what about the children, has anybody thought of the children.

I don’t think swearing at a woman will make her pregnant. No matter how ripe the language.

smell_it
    Free Member

@ kilo – no one has ever suggested to me that ‘lass’ is wrong, but I’m happy to reflect on that. I wouldn’t use ‘bird/s’ etc, so if it is generally considered offensive I wouldn’t use lass. In these situations regardless of my view of a word, if others were taking offense I would stop using it.

I find it odd that you feel it’s more concerning than a man swearing at a woman they don’t know.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My wife’s a **** and she knows it…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

“Tbh, and not meaning to be rude or trolling, I found your use of lass in the original thread more “thought provoking” than the op swearing at a female. I’d regard that as quite a patronising / demeaning word to use.”

What??

You have obviously never ever been anywhere near the NE of England have you?

munrobiker
    Free Member

no one has ever suggested to me that ‘lass’ is wrong, but I’m happy to reflect on that. I wouldn’t use ‘bird/s’

There’s a very useful word – “woman” – which does the job for you. It is certainly better than “lass” and much less awkward than “female”, which suggests you don’t really come into contact with any. One of my wife’s major gripes is when  men call women “girls” is also one of my wife’s major gripes.

Just asked my wife, who is a serious feminist, about this. She does know Al personally for the record, but she laughed and said there is absolutely no problem with a man swearing at a woman in that situation and you are in the wrong and at least a little sexist.

nickjb
    Free Member

Much simpler in Ireland. You can call everyone a “lad”. It did confuse my wife a bit 🙂

Is chivalry in general sexist? Not really something I’ve given much thought to but I’m leaning towards thinking it is.

greentricky
    Free Member

There’s a very useful word – “woman” – which does the job for you. It is certainly better than “lass” and much less awkward than “female”, which suggests you don’t really come into contact with any. One of my wife’s major gripes is when  men call women “girls” is also one of my wife’s major gripes.

Using girls in this sense is one I was/am guilty of but a female colleague always picked me up on it and makes me cringe when I hear myself say it now although how it differs from calling adult males lads, I’m not sure but am happy to adjust to not cause offence

I grew up with my devon mum calling young women, Maids, as in, when you gonna find yourself a nice maid to settle down with, when I moved to the midlands I quickly learned that maid was not a term appreciated by all…

kilo

“You have obviously never ever been anywhere near the NE of England have you?”

Not really no, Presuambly you’re all mired in the past there 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

It’s used as a term of affection up here.. as in “our lass “..

My missus doesn’t like being referred to in that way ..so I don’t use it ..but stand in any Newcastle City centre pub for 10 mins and I would be surprised if you didn’t hear someone referring to their wife / girlfriend in that way ..

* doffs flat cap to southern gentry * 🤣

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Its equally as wrong as a woman swearing at a man

And if the occasion demands it, equally necessary

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There’s a very useful word – “woman” – which does the job for you. It is certainly better than “lass” and much less awkward than “female”

Thing is, there’s plenary of places where a term like ‘lass’ is just what people say. It’s neither owt or nowt.

One for the professionally offended to get in a tizzy about though….. 🙂

MrOvershoot

I always think of Lass being the feminine version of Lad and if anything with no bad connotations.

Bonnie Lass/Lad, Plucky Lass/Lad.

Perhaps only having lived in the Midlands/Scotland/South West & North West hasn’t exposed me to the bit where its seen as not a nice thing?

BigJohn

Swearing at a woman: same as swearing at a man.

Swearing at a lady – never.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

“I always think of Lass being the feminine version of Lad and if anything with no bad connotations.

Bonnie Lass/Lad, Plucky Lass/Lad.”

Exactly, in all my life I’ve never heard it said as a derogatary term in itself.

*hodgynd’s spot on*

JoeG
    Free Member

Did you call her a c*nt?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Swearing at a female’ is closed to new replies.