Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Swapping over hub and keeping USTrim/spokes
  • Alek
    Free Member

How easy (or not) is it to swap over the hub but keep the UST rim and spokes?

Fancy a rear hub change (ex. M756 XT hub). What other hubs have the same flange circumference, but lighter and more pick-up.

Or should I just blooter the spokes and start a fresh, keeping only the rims (819's) and wear the additional cost.

trail_rat
    Free Member

819s not a fairly heavy rim alek ? – certainly a wheelset built on dt 240s is quite heavy when i was building them the other day.

if the current hubs in good nick id perhaps entertain selling the lot as a working entity and buying a hope/dt combo ….possibly cost a similar ammount once you sell it and i dare say itd be lighter stans – 355 is about 360 grams and a mavic weighs circa 450 – get an SP xc 3 hub with 24 straight pulls and save weight again ! and the 3 bolt rotors and save AGAIN all rotational as well …

just my two pence worth feel free to ignore

Alek
    Free Member

Agree………these were/are my back-up/winter set.

Tried selling as a whole on classifieds but so far no joy. Will persist though.

So looking into alternatives, as I do like the tubeless. Especially with maxxis tyres (fit and forget) + ideal for 10's/12's/24's – so far anyway.

Would like to try out a really lite wheelset just to feel the difference, but most are too rich me!! one day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i went from dt x1800s – thats a reported 1800 gram wheelset – weighed in at 1875

to the hope set up mentioned above at circa 1580 grams (not weighed them my self yet) but it made a huge difference to my bike – dropped the tubes as well and went tubeless – all rotational weight so worth double or triple the static weight reduction in acceleration and climbing modes

been very impressed. You do similar races to me – if you see me milling about in Red ABC kit on a Red merida FLX gies a shout and you inspect/have have a shot on the set up

Alek
    Free Member

Cheers Trail_rat – i'll look out for you at 10 more @ moray.

nice one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Swapping over hub and keeping USTrim/spokes’ is closed to new replies.