Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Swapping on-road / offroad wheels – help needed
  • lodious
    Free Member

I am thinking about buying a set of road (ish) wheels for my hardtail so I can swap easily between on and offroad tyres. I have a couple of questions, if anyone can help out…
    1. Disc rotors – do I have to buy Avid rotors (the bike has Juicy 3’s), or can I use any brand of rotor?
    2. Am I likely to run into problems centring the rotors on the second set of wheels? Would it be worth looking at using the Shimano Centre-Lock system, as I think (?) it’s easy to adjust the position of the rotor using this system?
    3. I am thinking of getting Merlin to build the wheels with Deore hobs and XC717 Disc rims, does that sound like a sensible spec for the wheels?

Any help much appreciated…

juan
    Free Member

1 no as far as the diameter is ok
    2 cant see why as far as you use IS if it’s not centered, a couples of shims on the disk should do
    3 Yes

Hope it helps

geoffj

1. Usually OK with any brand of rotors
    2. You may run into problems, but 6 bolt rotors can be shimmed easily enough.
    3. Dunno

druidh
    Free Member

1. Usually, any brand of rotor should do.
    2. If your brakes are post-mount, just loosen them, squeeze the lever and tighten. This will centre the caliper. If they’re IS mount, either re-shim the caliper or shim the disk (the latter would be a one off, but it’s only a 5 minute job either way).
    3. Deore/XC717 sounds about perfect if you’re happy with the price.

lodious
    Free Member

OK thanks for your help 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Swapping on-road / offroad wheels – help needed’ is closed to new replies.