Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Swallowing insects
  • stevextc
    Free Member

Ouch I just had a ride half ruined when I swallowed a wasp.
    Weirdly it didn’t sting me for 5 mins and I though I’d Swallowed a fly then the little sod stung inside m’y throat .i managed to cough it out which is when I worked out it was a wasp.. it really screwed my breathing up for an hour or so and I really struggled on the climbs after that especially in the 35 Deg plus here in Ibiza. SIL went off and rode a hours loop after which m’y throat seemed to have gone down so we managed to finish the ride.

Lucky I’m not allergic but when I got back wondered what if it was a bee.. though the wasp was covered in saliva I could still see the sting was intact

What’s the weirdest insect you ever swallowed? Before this mine was flying ants

scotroutes

I don’t know. I swallowed it.

joemmo
    Free Member

you should have swallowed a spider to catch the fly wasp

stevextc
    Free Member

Ha ha that rhyme did keep coming to mind.

retro83
    Free Member

OP is the president of Costa Rica AICMFP

nickwatson
    Free Member

Blimey, you were lucky you are not allergic.

I’ve had a bee fly into my mouth and sting the inside of my cheek, and half of my face swelled up for 2 days.

Had to have steriods to eventually return it to normal.

If I had stung the back of my throat, I guess I wouldn’t be here …

iainc

I think the trick is to actually swallow it, then your stomach acids kill it and all is good !

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, you were very lucky. I can’t help wondering what would have happened if you had swallowed it and it started stinging inside your stomach… or how long it would have continued.
    I never actually see the insects that I swallow. I did once get stung in the ear by a bee. That hurt.

funkmasterp

Not swallowed, but a huge fly up my nose. Really freaked me out.

mildbore

Presumably you didn’t swallow it completely because you are veggie? On another rainy day of English summer, sympathy is low

Trimix
    Free Member

My mate breathed in a fly, a day or two later he sneezed it out all covered in green mucus. Yuck.

faustus

a bat flew in to my face once while riding, glad i didn’t swallow it.

IdleJon

a bat flew in to my face once while riding, glad i didn’t swallow it.

Cricket or rounders?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Weirdly it didn’t sting me for 5 mins and I though I’d Swallowed a fly then the little sod stung inside m’y throat

I don’t understand, where exactly was this wasp for that 5 minutes? Did you hold it in your mouth or did you swallow it but not completely so it was in your throat for 5 minutes? Sounds pretty unpleasant either way

stevextc
    Free Member

I don’t understand, where exactly was this wasp for that 5 minutes? Did you hold it in your mouth or did you swallow it but not completely so it was in your throat for 5 minutes? Sounds pretty unpleasant either way

It was in my throat I guess … I thought I’d managed to swallow it but it must have kept climbing back

I think the trick is to actually swallow it, then your stomach acids kill it and all is good !

Yep that’s what I was trying though at the time thought it must be a fly… just couldn’t suck enough water through the camelback fast enough …

Yes, you were very lucky. I can’t help wondering what would have happened if you had swallowed it and it started stinging inside your stomach… or how long it
    would have continued.

I think Ian is correct once it goes in the stomach the acid would kill it pretty quickly and they only have a few stings worth of venom ….

I doubt you’d feel much either as your stomach lining is pretty much attacked by acid 24×7

To be fair m’y throat didn’t hurt much … it was uncomfortable but not really bad .. and as I’m lucky I don’t react much to bees or wasps it just swelled up a bit and made breathing deep breaths harder … we chuck nearly boiling water and hot food down our throats…so it’s not very sensitive

SIL then speared herself on a cactus … lots of blood but not as bad as it looked

I had fantastic fun with continental brakes as well but managed to avoid an OTB which is good as my arm isn’t really fixed from a fracture 3 weeks ago…

I’m buying some wool and needles I reckon and making scarves or something … much safer hobby then again I’d probably poke my eye out with a needle

BoardinBob

CONTAINS SWEARING 😆

[video]http://youtu.be/BUS6nKpddec[/video]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Swallowing insects’ is closed to new replies.