Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Surly pugsley vs Wednesday ….quick opinion please
  • moorsey72
    Free Member

For beach rides, bimbles and maybe odd trail run.

1.can get a used pugsley, get powder coated add Alfine and bling

2.get new Wednesday frame and build up- more expensive option

Hoping to decide today as obsessive nature is driving me nuts.

or could splash out on a new ICT for £1500 = dog house

johnnystorm

My moonlander hustles around Tunstall single-track far better than its upright geo and fat tyres would suggest. If trail smashing isn’t your priority then get the Pugs. It’s the original and the fatbike they couldn’t kill!

freddiest

Tough one.  Both should do the job. Wednesday maybe better for trails but the pugs is a classic.  ICT probably more versatile tho if you fancy fatter tyres.

Where have you seen the ICT for £1500?

whitestone
    Free Member

The Pugsley has the offset rear whereas the Wednesday is the now standard symmetrical 177mm rear. While a lot rave about the flexibility of the offset rear to me it feels like a bodge from the time when things hadn’t settled down in the fat bike world. The Wednesday is probably closer to the ICT in terms of target use than the Pugsley which Surly have in their touring range.

I don’t have experience of the Pugsley but my wife has a Wednesday and it’s more than adequate for the riding you describe. There’s a mahoosive thread on MTBR about the Wednesday BTW, about 14 pages dating from when it was released. If you run with a stealth dropper then the Wednesday has routing for that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wednesday is a ‘trail’ bike, pugsley is an expedition bike (ICT is a like a pugsley on steroids).

As for tyre clearance, I can get a 4.8 Maxxis in the back of an on-one fatty which is also a 170mm rear hub and 80mm rims, so it probably depends how big you want to go (ICT will fit 5″+ on 100mm rims).  That’s no guarantee a wednesday will fit them, but it’s an idea. Mud clearance is ~5mm, but IME fat bike tyres either shed the mud or don’t, it’s not like normal tyres where you might need a bit of clearance in some conditions, it either sheds or forms a 2″ thick layer that would jam any frame regardless of clerance.

k1100t
    Free Member

Calibre Dune from Go Outdoors…?

40mpg

Wednesday. But you’ll still always want an ICT 😁

roverpig

I’d say ICT is more hooligan trail than expedition, but it’s all a matter of opinion of course. My (large) frame/forks are still for sale by the way 🙂

NormalMan

I know a shop with a Pugs Ops (the lovely maroon colour) frame and fork for sale. I think it is a medium and nearly new condition. PM if you want more info.

MrTricky
    Free Member

Pugsley, no question for me. 135 hubs are easy to find and Alfine works nicely. Other width hubs look to be harder to find now (I don’t like Hope hubs). I also have a bike with 170 rear spacing but the hub was way more expensive and harder to find.

lunar
    Free Member

Neither – Cube Nutrail Pro; blot makes all the difference!

cozz
    Free Member

the maroon pugs was a lovely looking bike and super rare

if you can get an ICT for 1500 that would be awesome

moorsey72
    Free Member

Well. Singletrack forum went down yesterday so I just ‘had a punt’ on the pugsley on eBay and won it for just over £400 inc delivery, comes with fat wheels and a spare set of 29er wheels. My thinking was I ride it, if I like it then get it powder coated and upgrade parts at a reasonable cost. Should get my money back if I decide I really do want an ICT or Wednesday. Seeing the picture of the ICT there made me doubt the sensible side of me winning this battle mind😳

freddiest

Get a pic on here then!

moorsey72
    Free Member

Due to arrive later this week so will post some pics after the maiden voyage. Appreciate all the comments and advice, was a great help as usual.

jones bars also ordered (couldn’t help myself 😉)

NormalMan

Spent today with my Pugs. It didn’t disappoint!

Edit: if it hasn’t got them already, get some mudguards. Fat bike tyres do great muck spreader impressions.

moorsey72
    Free Member

if it hasn’t got them already, get some mudguards. Fat bike tyres do great muck spreader impressions

Good call, googling now!

martymac

Mudhugger ftw!

moorsey72
    Free Member

Pug

Behold! Quick trial run down the beach and absolutely love it! Great fun to ride and trundles over everything. Planning to strip down, re-spray and upgrade a few parts. Maybe 1x or alfine, might start another post to follow the build. Definately a keeper.

NormalMan

Look forward to that thread. Totally a Pugs fan here.

I will be out on mine tomorrow.

takisawa2

Should be all done for Global Fat Bike day then… 🙂

NormalMan

Should be all done for Global Fat Bike day then… 🙂

True. Not long to go now.

Shame there is no UK fat bike forum anymore imho 😕

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Surly pugsley vs Wednesday ….quick opinion please’ is closed to new replies.