Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Surly Krampus, Fitting Suspension Forks?
  • wombat

Would it be possible* to fit suspension forks to a Surly Krampus or is that sort of not really the point?

*Possible as in would it screw up the geometry and be horrible to rise if the front were raised to accommodate say, a 100/120mm suspension fork?

Davesport

Coastrider had a Fox Fork on his. I had a quick go on his, seemed fine to me 😀

Coastrider Blog

rene59
    Free Member

9. Can I run a suspension fork on the Krampus?

No. Well, mostly no. You could certainly carry one under your arm if you like. There isn’t clearance for the Knard on most forks in the bridge regions – she’s a tall tire friends. And even if you do get one that just barely clears, that ain’t enough in our book to say it works. We don’t recommend it. Hopefully, we can talk Trevor into sleeping around with the fork folks in Vegas at Interbike. Maybe that will lead to something other than a bad rash. This would be a good place to mention that the rigid fork is 120mm suspension corrected.

many people have done it before no problem, the official line from Surly when released back in 2012 was no, it won’t take suspension forks. I think that this may have been more to do with availablity than anything else. I would love to put a 120mm 29+ er fork on mine but they are few and far between and too pricey for me.

The new version that came out this year had suspension forks on it at product launch and initial testing, I believe they never had the rigid forks ready at the time.

Interbike 2016 Outdoor Demo: Lucky 7

doncorleoni
    Free Member

The axle to crown measurement on surely steel fork is around 515mm (from memory) they say you should not run forks with greater than 527mm mm but I am of the opinion this is the sagged dimension of sus forks.

I know someone who has a set of manitou magnums at 120mm long (axle to crown 530mm) fitted and its great. You could also just about fit the 3″ rubber in either a fox 34 650b + (make sure it’s the plus) fork (which is silly expensive) or also the reba 650 plus fork (which is cheaper). The axle to crown on these is pretty much the same.

RS do an OEM pike 29 plus fork but they are as rare as rocking horse plop.

Magnums would be the best bet (mine were £450 from crc)

ajantom

Maverick Sc32s work well with a travel reducer kit. Maybe even DUC32s, but they are a bit tall!

speccyguy
    Free Member

A 29 Fox 34 non-boost fits 29+ on a 35mm rim with plenty of space all around. Not sure of atc but with 120mm travel what is a relevant measurement anyway?

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I’ve used a Fox F29 on mine, clearance for a rabbit hole and knard is tight but fine for summer.

120mm travel worked well, but I prefer mine rigid so that’s how it’s set now.

wombat

Thanks folks, that’s really helpful

BillOddie

I’d be looking at 120mm 29+ Pike.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve seen one with a lefty fitted, I think it took a bit of work, but it did look nice.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Surly Krampus, Fitting Suspension Forks?’ is closed to new replies.