Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Surly Disc Trucker as a commuter
  • shermer75
    Free Member

How does it feel? I’m looking at the chainstays and they are loooooong (460mm). Does it feel dull when not loaded? I’m currently using a Surly Troll, which based on mountain bike geometry, and it’s great and love the way it feels really fast (even if it’s not!) but when there’s heavy stuff on the back it gets pretty ‘waggy’

shermer75
    Free Member

Ps it will also get used as an occasional tourer! Unfortunately I can’t have separate bikes for touring and commuting….

StirlingCrispin

I occasionally use my Disc Trucker as a bopping-around bike.

It’s great 🙂

RustySpanner

I have a 26 inch version, 50cm frame.

The steering actually feels quicker than my 700c ‘sporty’ road bike.
    The ride feel doesn’t really change when loaded, it never feels cumbersome or boring to ride, unlike my wife’s small AWOL which is a bit of a tank loaded or not.
    Never really noticed the length whilst riding.

If you’re a dwaff you’re more than welcome to have a pop on mine.

Best bike I’ve ever owned, don’t really ride anything else now.

Bez

I commuted in on mine this morning (opposite end of the spectrum from Rusty: 700c 62cm). Couple of hours of roads and gravel, pannier full of laptops and clothes. Also doubles up for various other duties: touring, shopping, towing, holiday all-rounder, winter bike, you name it. Would be near enough an ideal “gravel plus” bike if I took the mudguards, rack and dyno light off it. I’ve had 2″ knobby tyres in it (WTB Nine Line) even under the guards, so it’s pretty versatile.

How does it feel?

Fine and dandy. Neutral. Won’t give you goosebumps but will do almost anything you ask of it.

I’m looking at the chainstays and they are loooooong (460mm). Does it feel dull when not loaded?

Not enough to bother me, I’ve done several unloaded and lightly-loaded road rides on it and, sure, it’s no super-sensitive and eager race puppy like my old CAAD9 was, but you can still have enough fun on twisty descents.

I’m currently using a Surly Troll, which based on mountain bike geometry, and it’s great and love the way it feels really fast (even if it’s not!) but when there’s heavy stuff on the back it gets pretty ‘waggy’

That’s going to be the case with any steel bike unless it weighs as much as the moon. (OK, Surlys aren’t light, but the tubing profile’s still only normal oversize.) Or at least, it is in my sort of frame size; it may be less of an issue on smaller ones. If you stay seated it’s not a problem, so you just whack low enough gears on there for whatever load you’re lugging, and put up with a bit of wagging on the occasional bits of standing.

ton

i commute 100 miles a week on mine. on road/canal/bike path/urban mtb park.

oh and i tour on it. norway and holland so far this year.

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks Bez! Exactly what I wanted to know 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Surly Disc Trucker as a commuter’ is closed to new replies.