Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • supple leopard / mobilityWOD
  • MSP

My mobility is really poor for a moderately healthy man, and it is my new years resolution to do something about it. The “supple leopard” book, and supplementary mobilityWOD website looks like my first port of call.

Has anyone used them? Is it worth buying the book and subscribing to the site, or is the book or site sufficient individually. And if anyone has read the book, will it work on a kindle or is it advisable to get a printed edition (ie is it picture & diagram heavy?).

beinbhan

I’ve got the book on kindle but find the IPad better for reading. They are good and it works but you need to put the time into it. A high pain threshold helps as well for some of it.

tmb467
    Free Member

it is definitely diagram and picture heavy especially in the latter chapters (which are the most important for “doing” stuff)

For me – the book was aimed at education on the body’s movement patterns, identifying where there were issues, and on how to better manage the “pain / movement” transition

The site is more about the daily exercise side of it than the corrective stuff

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Supple leopard? I’m going down the perchypanther route where you laugh yourself flexible.

footflaps

I bought the book a few years back, never actually opened it….

I’d recommend a course eg GMB’s Vitamin: https://gmb.io/v/

I’ve done quite a few online courses now, with GMB trainers and others and actually follow them rather than just leaving them gathering dust on a book shelf.

One of my 2019 targets is improving hamstring and dorsal flexion mobility, I want to get a pistol squat bare footed (need 1/2″ heel lift right now) and improve my L-sit, which needs longer hamstrings).

brant
    Free Member

Footflaps. You’ve read “Ready to Run” by Kelly Starrett?

I’ve got it and it’s helped a lot. That vitamin course looks crackers. Will it have me doing cartwheels?

pb2

I have a history of thinking thats just what I need to satify my curosity on X-Y-Z Buy the book and by the time it arrives I’m on to something else which is why I have the SL book but have spent no more than 15/20 mins scanning it before the next to be neglected subject pops up. What I really need is therapy 🙂

footflaps

That vitamin course looks crackers. Will it have me doing cartwheels?

Oddly enough I have been doing cartwheels recently, although my form is mainly limited by hamstring flexibility or lack thereof. Vitamin is their intro course, based around short sessions working on mobility, but rather than very dull static stretches, they use movement as a more interesting way of working on flexibility. I agree it looks a bit different, but all their basic moves (frogger, Bear, lizard etc) do really work on flexibility and also build joint strength. But, yes you will look a bit odd if you start doing it in a globo gym; it’s really aimed at home training, although you need a bit of floor space…

It’s slowly becoming more main stream, eg a lot of Crossfit gyms use things like bear crawls as part of their warm up – not something you’d ever see outside of a west coast hippy commune 15 years ago…

Going back to cartwheels, I’d love to master an Aerial, but am a long way off right now.

This is Kirsty, one of the GMB coaches, whose courses I’ve been following:

Footflaps. You’ve read “Ready to Run” by Kelly Starrett?

I’ve got it and it’s helped a lot.

Nope, might add it to the list of books collecting dust on the shelves though 😉

Currently I’m doing 5 sets of 10 cossack squats everyday as it works on several weakness for me, external hip rotation, abductor flexibility and dorsal flexion. Here is Ryan, from GMB, demoing..

brant
    Free Member

Looks great. Thanks for link. Squats are great but not gone that extreme yet. Will have a go.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Hatha Yoga Flow once a week, amazing results in three months for me, also unstuck my deadlift, no longer need to warm up shoulders before low bar squats and helped finally nail the planche.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘supple leopard / mobilityWOD’ is closed to new replies.