Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Superstar Nano X service – special socket?
  • scruff
    Free Member

My nano x are wobbling, before I buy a service kit do I need a special long or thin socket to get the cage off? Yes I’ve asked superstar but no reply yet.

rossburton
    Free Member

If they’re like the normal nanos then thin is more likely to be the problem, the head is recessed and there’s not a lot of room. That said the hex socket in my makita drill bits box was perfect.

mechanicaldope

One of my 9mm (i think) sockets will just about fit but it is jolly tight. Very awkward trying to remove it again. I have brought a cheap one specially for this and am going to dremel the hell out of it to get it nice and slim.

mikertroid
    Free Member

9mm socket needed. I use one from an old Cyclo(?) toolkit. Service takes about 2 minutes per pedal once you’ve got the right socket.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You need a thin 9mm socket but it doesn’t need to be special as such. I think the one I use is in a cheap shit Rolson set of sockets.

Getting the bushing out (the bit that has most likely worn as the Nano X seals don’t appear to be that great) puzzled me for a bit but a couple of drill bits did the job in the end. I think I used a 10.5mm pointy end down in a bit of wood and blunt end up in the pedal body which I then gave a few taps with a rubber mallet to get the bush out. Similar with a bigger, maybe 13mm, drill bit to get the new bush in. Not the right tools but did the job. The bushes alone are available online for about 50p each.

Be aware the Nano X has a different seal to the old Nano

freeagent
    Free Member

You might have more luck using a 1/4″ drive 9mm socket, rather than a larger 3/8″ or 1/2″ drive – the walls on smaller drive sockets tend to be thinner as they’re not designed to handle as much torque as larger drive sets.

spawnofyorkshire

Yootoob quide that shows how to do it and the size of hex need (<13mm external diameter)

scruff
    Free Member

Superstar replied. They didn’t say anything apart from send it back to them for inspection. I’ll use a good size rock 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Easy bodge for this, get a flat-bladed screw driver down the side of the nut, jam it in place then rotate the cage (or axle) in the desired direction. A technique perfected in a emergency carpark fix situation

scruff
    Free Member

Done, easy enough with a cheap 9mm socket, video link was useful.

greyspoke
    Free Member

If your socket is too fat, angle grinder.

mechanicaldope

angle grinder

Alongside “hammer” and “shovel” in life’s problem solving toolbox.

joebristol

Don’t forget mole grips alongside angle grinder, hammer and shovel.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Nano X service – special socket?’ is closed to new replies.