Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Superdry – what's it all about then?
  • vinnyeh

A few posters on the ‘wouldn’t touch it with yours’ thread have mentioned Superdry. I’ve struggled to understand the attraction for a long time. Doesn’t seem to be any reason to buy any of the products I’ve seen. Anyone able to explain?

LoCo
    Free Member

Strange I was wondering about this on my way into work this morning too

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*ponders launching in to a rant…..counts to ten instead….*

beej

Clever marketing to the Fast and the Furious generation who think they’re Japanese.

Now being worn by the middle-aged, so will lose any cool with the yoof. Plus their design ideas are being ripped off by Burton(“Drift King”).

SuperGroup began with the founding of Cult Clothing in 1985 by Julian Dunkerton and a former business partner. The original Cult Clothing store in Cheltenham led to the creation of others across the country, many of them in university towns.

In 2003, Julian joined forces with designer James Holder who had previously founded the Bench brand, to develop and create a new in-house brand and Superdry was born. The Superdry brand has since gained both recognition and popularity in the UK and overseas and underpins the growth of the business

maccruiskeen

Don’t own or want any of their products, but a massive british success story – from cheltenham shop keeper to floating on the stock exhange and the sunday times rich list.

emsz
    Free Member

They’re just tee shirts worn by Rah’s, some are a bit y’know, gash. But S’ok.

A&F, Hollister, all those, bit of a uniform.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Hollister is stupid.

Why fill a shop with clothes, then light the place with 2w bulbs so nobody can properly see what they’re buying.

And why not use hangers so that you don’t need to employ dozens of staff who spend all day endlessly folding and re-folding all the clothes.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I like Superdry Tees… They’re good quality and are fine for playing out in. Agree about Hollister, daft concept.

yunki
    Free Member

I certainly wouldn’t hire anyone who wears Superdry.. it marks them out as mentally deficient in my opinion..

tattoos on the other hand…….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thing about all those spensive braynds though, is that you can get unbranded stuff of similar or better quality even, for loads less, if you know where to look. A lot of stuff is simply bought off wholesalers/importers and labelled up then sold on at a massive premium. Used to be loads of sweatshops down Brick Lane, making clothes and leather goods, which would be sold in top West End shops for many times what they’d cost from a factory outlet locally. Now, it’s all made in China for pennies, sold for silly money here. TBH we’re mugs for wasting our money on it really.

Bit like the bike industry then…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

Nice one, Yunkster… 😉

I saw what you did there, and I like it.

DezB
    Free Member

David Beckham wore a t-shirt once…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

First time I saw someone wearing Superdry branded stuf, I presumed it was technical waterproof clothing, so thought it sounded was cos it looked ok too.

Then I realised it was just another logo. Gash.

Stuey01
    Free Member

It’s just a fashionable clothing brand, that’s all.
    Not really my kind of thing, but whatever. In my yoof I would have been all over it I’m sure.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

ir-bandito – Funny, but I saw a mates teenage son wearing ‘superdry’ undies, and I thought he had an incontinence problem.

I wonder if they know that as they wander aimlessly about shopping centres?

loddrik
    Free Member

Gotta be honest i thought they were Japanese at first. Finding out they were British made them a not less cool imo. wouldst dream of wearing anything by them though, crazy prices. was in st ives over the summer and it seemed like every man between the ages od 25-50 had superdry on.

Taff
    Free Member

I like Hollister, Superdry and A&F clothing especially shirts and polo shirts. We have outlets down my neck of the woods so it’s easily affordable and the quality is a lot better than other brands which is why I like them. I agree with Holiister being dark which is why I took my torch in there last time… got a few giggles from others and some asking if I could point it their way to see the colour of a top properly!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of Hollister

I get the impression I’m better off that way…

footflaps

Chav wear for the masses….

andyl
    Free Member

I thought they were clothes for sweaty little chavs 😆

yunki
    Free Member

About 4 or 5 years ago our friendly neighbourhood shoplifter was touting superdry leather hoodies in the local pub.. I’d never heard of the brand but the name made it sound like quality technical gear and I believed a leather hoodie would suit my image at the time..

There was no way I was shelling out £80 for one though.. even if they were £400 in the shops..

aah well..life goes on

rockhopper70

…….and they are really small sizes. I take medium top but only just squeezed into the XL scrambler jacket I tried on…..which is a copy of the Barbour wax jacket….neither of which I have bought for fear of wax rubbing off on stuff, which it may or may not do.

MrSmith
    Free Member

a uniform for cretins.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I wore it about 4/5 yrs ago wouldn’t wear it now! Beckham wearing it around the same time back then surely helped launch them into the bigger Market!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

When it comes to logos and stuff, I like stuff that I find aesthetically pleasing, interesting designs and that. I really don’t get stuff like Hackett; just think it looks crap. If they used a nice font or had a nice logo or something ittud be miles better, but as it is, they’re just nasty tops with a name on.

Nike logo is very good aesthetically, but I don’t like their brand.

As for quality; true, some braynds are decent, but a lot of stuff you can find the same quality for a lot less money. I’ve bought stuff from Decathlon frinstance; same thing in Pearl Izumi or whatever would be double, three times the price.

Stuff like some Rapha type gear, it’s very difficult to find similar quality without paying a hefty premium really, so you pays yer money etc…

From what I’ve seen, Superdry is mediocre at best, and stupidly overpriced for what it is. 70% off in TK Maxx maybe, but I woon’t pay RRP for any of it.

But then I’ll happily pay a premium for an Apple product, so there you go. 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I never got the Japan reference in the logo, but it would seem the company hasn’t either:

http://www.unmissablejapan.com/etcetera/superdry

🙄

RealMan
    Free Member

They’re just tee shirts worn by Rah’s, some are a bit y’know, gash. But S’ok.

A&F, Hollister, all those, bit of a uniform.

This.

timc
    Free Member

I dont see all the fuss, not my cup of tea, but i just see loads of what i would call normal people wearing them as casual clothing, no big deal either way!

The tw4ts who dress themselves in full on all saints uniforms & think they are boss are far more tragic in my eyes…

wrightyson
    Free Member

All saints, possibly the most overpriced brand of clothing out there!! Won’t even go through the door unless it’s 50% of minimum!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

was in st ives over the summer and it seemed like every man between the ages od 25-50 had superdry on.

Try any resort in turkey, mainly because they knock them out for euro10 a piece.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

I think the same could be said about ‘Henleys’ – what makes people buy this stuff?

yoshimi

Whats a ‘rah’ ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The tw4ts who dress themselves in full on all saints uniforms & think they are boss are far more tragic in my eyes…

Anyone who uses the expression “think they are boss” would be well advised to put the stones down and get back in that glass building over there.

chvck
    Free Member

I have a superdry coat and i like it. So there 😛

ac282

The article linked by Glitter Gary says it all. The brand is completely articifical and stands for nothing. Its just a marketing man’s combination of fake japanese and 50s american references. I’m completely at a loss to understand why it became so popular.

toby1

Cult clothing used to be a selection of smaller diverse skate style clothing, then it just ramped up in a Bench warehouse – now I never go in there as it’s pants and like others have said, it’s just so so small!

donsimon
    Free Member

*Googles Superdry*
    Oh. 😐

ourmaninthenorth

Whats a ‘rah’ ?

CFH, in essence.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Not my cup of tea, I’m not into big logos on my stuff. Nevertheless a great British success story, I think the guys behind the brand have done brilliantly.

(I wear a lot of monogrammed Polo Ralph Lauren 😳 )

IanMunro
    Free Member

Always looks vaguely like a TNF rip-off to me. Do they use the same font?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Superdry – what's it all about then?’ is closed to new replies.