Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Super tin foil hat car fob protection
  • Pieface

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/aug/05/aa-chief-reveals-his-microwave-tip-to-foil-tech-savvy-car-thieves

‘His theory is that hackers took a signal from his wife’s fob when she parked outside their house at about 6pm and came back later to steal it.’

However he alludes to the fact that the farady puch did its job, and the thieves intercepted the signal before his wife put the keys in the puch, so his extra level of ‘security’ is pointless.

MrSparkle

“Are we that lazy that we cannot press a button on a key fob or turn a key if it protects us?,” he asked.

Yes.

midlifecrashes

Okay, I get how the signal relay theft works, but then what? Drive the car to storage and eventually turn it off. After that how do the thieves make a new key/fob work? Or are the cars just split for parts?

nicko74

Okay, I get how the signal relay theft works, but then what? Drive the car to storage and eventually turn it off. After that how do the thieves make a new key/fob work? Or are the cars just split for parts?

My understanding was that it wasn’t *just* relaying it, it was also possible to replicate the signal. But very good question!

DickBarton

Do they not just encode a new key to the car and recode both key and car to a new code?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.