• This topic has 28 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by geex.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Sunrace cassettes – any good?
  • filks

Any experience with Sunrace cassettes? I need a 11-42 ten speed cassette – and Deore are out of stock everywhere.

Are they any good? Shift ok/similar to Shimano

longmover
    Free Member

I have an 11-40 and it’s fine, no real issues. It’s a bit clunkier than the SLX it replaced but not much.

Poopscoop

Pretty good in my opinion. 👍

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve had a few and found them to be excellent. I’d have no issues buying again.

djflexure

What rear mechs do you use with these? Would a short cage – Zee (36T version) work on a hardtail?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m running a 11-46t 11 speed on my FS, got a mid cage XTR M9000 mech and it works fine, no better or no worse than the XT M8000 11-42 it replaced.

You might struggle with a short cage Zee, but nothing a goat link type mech extender won’t solve, they’re dirt cheap on eBay.

Kahurangi

I have a pair of these (ok, I have one and the wife has one).

Much better than using an expander ring, very happy with them. No weigth penalty over XT + expander ring, large sprockets are in groups on a carrier so no digging in to the freehub for you Hope Pro 2 users.

We have them both running a mediaum cage mech (on a 1x FS) so I would imagine a short cage might be suitable with a hardtail. You might not have much wiggle room if you wanted to go up a chainring size though, someone who uses a short cage mech might suggest what their range is.

I will say though, that we upgraded both mechs from long cage to medium cage using a rad cage, which has an offset top jockey wheel. This improved shifting performance noticeably.

BillOddie

I have used their 10 11-42 speed MS-3 (the cheaper one) and it’s been absolutely fine to be honest.

With a XT mech and chain on a 1x system it’s been great to be honest. Shifted fine (no discernible difference to a shimano cassette especially when covered in filth, lasted well enough, didn’t cost 3 figures.

I’m just about to replace it with the slightly lighter/blingier MX3 that i paid 43 quid for from Bike Discount.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bit more clunky and pingy than equivalent Shimano & Sram but decent enough, yeah.

benpinnick

If you’re able to (for example if its M6000 running 1x) then the 11-46 cassette is great and gives a nice little range boost with no real downsides.

joemmo
    Free Member

11-40 MX3 cassette on my g-bike + KMC chain + shimano XT mech. Smooth and light shift, just as good as SRAM and shimano in my experience.

canopy
    Free Member

no probs here.. my bike came with one, and the other wheelset i have came with one too (but in black ohhh!). … 1×11.. both weheelsets 11-42 (27.5+ and 29er)

johnnystorm

I’ve got an 11-50 11 speed and my standard medium xt cage works fine on it. No dropout extender, fudged b tension screw, etc.

Jordan

Same as johnnystorm on other halfs f/s bike. Works a treat.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve Sunrace cassettes on all three of my MTBs – 10spd on the HT and fat bike and 11spd on the FS. All with XT medium cage derailleurs and 1x cranksets. For some reason I’ve a spare so obviously I’m happy enough with them to have that lying around.

Can’t say I’ve noticed any clunkiness.

kayak23

They’re the only ones I’ll buy. Excellent quality, good spacing, and a good price.

Oh, and the black ones with the red lock ring are stunningly beautiful….you know , for a cassette like.

zinger
    Free Member

Do the black ones end up having the black worn away exposing the steel / alu underneath ?

Anyone tried the 9 speed 11-40 ? – I just took a punt on one with an extender,  to go with an old xtr 9 speed groupset which i want to use on a 27.5″ bike i’ve just got

Kahurangi

The black does wear revealing grey/silver, but it’s not that bad and it’s less noticeable than the blank gunk that builds up on a silver cassette.

tall_martin

11 speed 11-50 on xtr

Works great 🙂

Kamakazie

I think they are the best around for the money and as said, they have a better spread of gears (in the 46t version) than other brands.

martinhutch

Mine works great. Get the ‘mx’ version if you can. A lot lighter.

fooman

I’ve got 11-42 10sp on a number of family bikes they work great with SRAM GX.
    Now switching to 11-50 12sp NZ90 + GX Eagle with good results. Have one GX Eagle cassette, when it needs replacing I plan on ditching the XD driver & buying another Sunrace.

mariner
    Free Member

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/CS-HG500-10-10-speed-Cassette-p43864/

Is this what you are after?
    I have the Sunrace version but notice the Shimano version has very slight difference in gearing.

gribble
    Free Member

Have an 11-42 sunrace on my hardtail. Works absolutely fine with an XT 10 sp shifter and an XT rear mech. I did alter the rear mech to add a RADR cage, but it as quite simple to do.

I have to say it has been fine. Not as crisp as my GX 12sp on my other bike (which is 12 months newer), but no issues. I wanted to go 1 x for the hardtail build and at the time it was a whole load cheaper doing it this way, than any other option.

matt_outandabout

👌👌👌 for our three.

avdave2

I’ve the 11-42 10 speed and it’s fine. Can’t tell any difference between it and the Deore 11-36 it replaced. It’s a bit lighter than the Deore 11-42 as well.

strangey13
    Free Member

I’m on my second one, and would get one again next time round. Both have chewed into the freehub a bit though and need a bit more encouragement than a Shimano one to get off! (Hope freehubs)

dantsw13

They must have improved! I had a couple 2 years ago and the cogs were made of cheese – same experience as others in my riding group.

geex
    Free Member

That hasn’t improved I’m afraid. I just wore out the 15t sprocket on a top end sunrace cassette in 100miles. (chain fine, rest of cassette fine. 15t is my sprint out of corners gear. but one hundred miles! FFS!)

Would not bang again.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Sunrace cassettes – any good?’ is closed to new replies.