Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sunday musings – going from drop bar to flat bar for NCN type riding?
  • cinnamon_girl

Who has this set up and how does it work out for you?

Thanks. 🙂

geoffj

Ton’s the man for this – get the right shifters and there’s no gearing issues. The ett on a drop bike tends to be shorter than flat bar specific bikes, but you can tweak with stem length if it’s not too small to start with.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run flats on all my road bikes. Better control, brakes and comfort for me.

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

I did this to my boardman cx team recently not because I didn’t like the drop bar but because it needed just about a new group set and I wanted hydraulic brakes. I didn’t want to spend a fortune on a hydraulic road group set and I’d have to go to 11 speed. Anyway with deore shifters and Clarks M2 it works well. Do miss the varied hand positions even though I’m using bar ends. Think my next cx or road bike is going to have to have hydraulics and di2. Rose do some decent ones. Best get saving.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for all the helpful replies and hopefully ton will see this thread.

RustySpanner

Just going the other way, CG.

Wiiiide drops, mounted high this time.
    Get very frustrated with flats on the road after a few hours – just not enough variation to shuffle around properly, even with bar ends.

I’ve a lovely steel Rockhopper frame (17 inch) complete with Easton bars/stem that you’d be more than welcome to borrow for as long as you like.
    Replacing it with a Disc Trucker.

Drop us a line if you’d like to give it a go, we’ll get it down to you.

If you’re feeling flush, the new Genesis TdF 20 looks amazing value for money.
    Linky.
    Racks, guards, dynamo lighting all included.
    If I wasn’t ditching the flat bars, I’d have one myself.

BTW, missed your last post on the Salisbury thread – yes, that’s the very place – stunning, isn’t it?
    🙂

cinnamon_girl

Rusty – ah, interesting comment and surprised that bar ends didn’t help. Thanks for the offer of your frame and that’s so kind of you but I’m actually trying to decide on a good set-up for my Tripster. I do like to see what’s around me cos it’s all about the view these days!

Enjoy your Disc Trucker and hope that drop bars improve comfort for you. Plenty of folk have recommended the Cow Bells.

Salisbury thread – yeah, it’s bloomin’ lovely around there. 😀

cinnamon_girl

PS Rusty- Van the Man is on BBC4 in a couple of minutes, Cyprus Avenue/Cypress Avenue. Highlights from his recent birthday concert.

mtbfix

I’m fed up to the back teeth of my flat bar bike. Fine for pottering about but anything over 45mins leaves me wanting a change of position beyond grips/bar ends.

robdob
    Free Member

My TDF. Some people on here think I’ve ruined it and it’s handling but it rides beautifully and lovely and comfy for my recent 3 day C2C.

Changed drops for flat bars and hydraulic discs and Deore 9sp STI’s.

Now got Salsa 17 degree bend Moto bars on it and Dura Ace/Paul Component thumb shifters.

RustySpanner

Such a nice looking bike Rob.

Er, how have you managed to ‘ruin’ the handling?
    Doesn’t look way too short for you (the usual issue with sticking flat bars on frames designed for drop bar bikes).
    Assume you choose the frame & stem sizes accordingly?
    As long as your hands are in roughly the same place, it’s impossible to ‘ruin’ anything.

Can’t find a geo sheet for the 2016 TdF.
    Imagine they’ve lengthened the tt slightly for the now standard flat bar, but bet it’s not by much.
    Upright is definitely ‘in’ at the mo, probably so more people can admire your beard.
    🙂

Wish they’d offer a drop bar version for 2016 – shame really, means Surly get my cash instead.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Have a look at somafunk’s Tripster, C_G – with the Jones bars on it. That seems to work a treat and has certainly got me thinking about mine… Also, Kinesis do the Tripster ACE which I’m pretty sure is flat bar as standard, but I don’t know how similar the geo is to the ATR?

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Put some riser bars on my crosscheck, love it. Running it single speed but fancy gears now, can anyone recommend some flat bar 10sp shifters for 105?

kerley
    Free Member

It all depends how much use of the current bars you make. Do you ride in the drops quite a bit, on the tops, on the hoods, moving around a fair bit or do you just get on the bike, put your hands on the hoods and never move them?
    Even if just riding on the hoods all the time your wrists are at a better (more natural) angle than on flat bars so the flat bars can become a chore after a few hours.

On my last road bike used for any distance (fixed so didn’t have to worry about brake/gear levers) I used bullhorns/TT base bars as when set at the right height the bullhorns were like hoods positions with the tops for climbing, change of hand position but even then I missed the drop position.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again for more helpful replies.

There’s a number of issues, yesterday I took the Tripster off road around Salisbury Plain on mixed terrain. Whilst accepting that tyre pressures may not have been correct I felt beaten up when the going got very gravelly/stoney. Not wanting to repeat the experience!!

Additionally due to a permanent health condition my weight has increased massively so being forwards, including on the drops, was uncomfortable with a large middle. Sorry, tmi!!

I want to ride local shonky roads especially in Winter when the trails are grim. Jones bars could be an option though, will look for Soma’s pics.

Appreciate your thoughts, it’s opened my eyes for sure.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive just done this on my roadrat with mary bars for city traffic riding.

got fed up with bending my neck upwards to watch the carnage unfold infront and covering the brakes from the drops…..

Adopted a dutch style approach with a high front end. Much comfier – much more visibility and much more visible in traffic.

id post pictures but i reckon Cy would ban me from having the words roadrat on my seat tube for crimes against aesthetics.

ahwiles
    Free Member

NCN routes often have ‘squeeze gates’, to stop discourage the Moto-scallies from hooning around on quad bikes all day long.

you can usually ride straight through them with drop bars. Flat bars often require a stop and wiggle.

cinnamon_girl

We need pics trail_rat, be brave!!

Northwind

Mine was sold with flat bars but I think it’s literally the same frame as the road equivalent with a different length stem. I just don’t like drops, it turns out. Personal preference way outweighs “best” here imo, I’ll never own another drop bar bike I think.

It’s probably more important to get the fit and comfort just right, with flats- you’ve got less position choice so it’s got to work. It took me a while to get an all-day position but then, I was always shuffling for comfort on drops

RustySpanner

I get a sore back if I sit too upright.

I borrowed some butterfly bars, but couldn’t get on with them.
    I suspect more miles and a shorter stem would help.
    I will try them again at some point, along with something Jones-ey.

I might have a pop at a Brooks Flyer,

or the Spa equivalent when the current Spa Nidd wears out.
    About 20 years, then.

I find I need a wider saddle with flat bars too.
    The B17 Narrow I use on my roadie bike was uncomfy on the flat bar Rockhopper, B17 Standard/Nidd was perfect.

I’m not looking to change position when switching to drops – just a greater variety.

fasthaggis

CG

I am heading down the Titec bar route on the next build.
    Tried Midge bars for a bit ,which I really liked but the Titecs have more positions to use.
    I have done flat bars with bar ends and also used Trekking Bar Extensions for longer rides.

Still available for much cheapness

robdob
    Free Member

I had some PX Fleegle bars on and they were great, well worth a try for £5 at the moment. They give a nice sweep back (17 degree) which is really comfy but the forward throw either side of the stem stop the reach being shortened.

Rusty – didn’t change the stem initially as the length was fine. Playing around with it at the moment as I’ve had a very bad neck so I had to put on a mega high rise stem but hopefully going back to a normal one soon.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sunday musings – going from drop bar to flat bar for NCN type riding?’ is closed to new replies.