Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Suncream As good as p20 but that doesn’t stain, moon on a stick
  • firestarter
    Free Member

I used factor 50 p20 it’s great I don’t burn I only put it on once a day it doesn’t seem to wash off but it appears to ruin t-shirts.

Is there another once a day sun cream that works but that doesn’t stain.or is that too much to ask, ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Once a day sounds dubious for effectiveness overall.  Long sleeves, collars and hats for me

olddog

I use P20 and have done for years -it’s the only sunblock that I’ve found that really works for extended surf sessions. Used for all day rides etc as well. In my experience it really does work.

It does stain until it’s fully dry on the skin – so don’t apply anywhere near clothing. Not had s problem when it’s dry – takes a few minutes.

In terms of alternatives – I’ve  not found one

bigblackshed

Aloegator sun creams work for me.

I tried P20 but I had a nasty reaction, this was back when it contained PABA which apparently lots of people are sensitive to. It’s supposed to be PABA free now but I’m not brave or stupid enough to risk it again.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

P20 is easiest to get hold of but always used to use pro sport for windsurfing trips to Egypt

MSP

Ultrasun sport is better than p20, but the same concept in that it is an all day gel that soaks into your skin and doesn’t sweat off or wash off when doing watersports.p20 got it’s reputation years ago but it has been bettered for quite a few years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XRGS8TG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another pro-sport user here for anything water sports related.

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers all

sniff
    Free Member

+1 for Ultrasun. Bonus points if you are hairy as the gel is way better than the creams for absorbsion.

sadexpunk

calypso all day stuff works for us, get it in the SPF10 and 20 much the same as P20.  i went to that for two reasons, firstly the staining as you mention, but also cos they stopped doing P10 which was my cream of choice.

you can buy calypso in aldi or wilko.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ultrasun – used this in the Maldives – put on before breakfast and that’s it – loads of swimming and snorkling during the day as well, including a 1.5 hour swim around the island – so it clearly works.

johndoh
    Free Member

The Amazon reviews don’t seem to backup the love for Ultrasun on here :-O

I always use the Boots Soltan waterproof stuff – still has the problem of staining clothes as others but for me, it’s the only one I can use and trust to work.

Jakester
    Free Member

Conversely, I have found the only stuff I burn with is Soltan. Never understood why, despite applying liberally, I got burnt and others didn’t, until my M-I-L suggested I try their Nivea stuff instead. Not been burnt (with suncream on) since.

I guess YMMV and it’s quite a personal choice depending on what works for you.

johndoh
    Free Member

It is weird isn’t it? I always burn with Nivea!

i_like_food

I’m a closet Ginger (dad was ginger, brown hair, burn at the sight of a sun emoji).

+1 to Sadexpunk. Calypso has transformed my opioopiof sunny days. Apply once, let dry, enjoy sunshine. Not greasy and works. Will last all day unless you go swimming. Smells like an alcoholics top desk drawer biti can deal with that.

mattyfez

Read this twitter thread today which is interesting, I had no idea about the star system.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IamMrJ/status/987041433495404546

bikebouy
    Free Member

Factor 50 today, burnt my nose and forehead ☄️🤬

So early in the season and the air is still clear and the sunshine blazing..

Kamakazie

Really impressed with Calypso Once A Day – £6 from Wilko

Used it on an activity holiday last year and never got close to burning. For the money you could apply it 3 times a day and still be better off than with p20 (not that you have to from what I found).

TheDTs
    Free Member

The original P20 was good for me, the newer one seems to sting like a Bastard if I it sweats into my eyes, the kids hate the smell. so we now use the sultan one, they do a lighter one for the face which rubs in easier and is less Ghostly..

P20 is a bit hard to use if you have a hangover IME.

The ultrasound one seems quite good when I used that.

One point with exception of the Calypso one, its all blooming pricey isn’t it.

Also WHY are Boots still selling the oil type stuff, don’t we all agree that it is generally a good idea to use something over SPF20?

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve always avoided the calypso tbh as is so cheap but I think I’ll give it a go before I go away thanks again

mattyfez

generally a good idea to use something over SPF20?

If you read the twitter thread I posted above (no idea how true it is) it’s that there’s not much point in going over spf 30, as the spf isn’t linier protection, I. E. Spf 50 is not 100 percent better spf 25, it’s only a couple of percent better and you’d be better getting something with a higher star rating or something that’s more waterproof or whatever suits your needs.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Been using a mouse we get from the internet for years. Great at rubbing in and doesn’t leave a residue that shows on clothes and one of the few that actually gets all 5 stars not the UVA rating for protection….Don’t know about P20 but it’s amazing how many of the more mainstream brands don’t achieve all 5 stars. If we don’t have any of the mouse stuff we use Boots Soltan..again achieves 5 stars and rubs in well leaving no residue and not affecting any clothing…and a damn sight cheaper than alot of the main and more established brands.

I only use a minimum of factor 30, preferably 50. Don’t see the point in anything less than 50. Not interested in looking like Dale Winton (RIP) and would rather have the additional protection. SPF 50might not be 100% better than SPF 25, but it is better and I can spend longer in the sun with SPF 50 than SPF 25. And in anycase it’s more important to re-apply regularly than put the stuff on first thing in the morning and expect it to last all day. That’s where the mouse stuff comes in handy. Alot easier to apply than a cream so less of a faff so easier to apply a few times through the day.

edit: I think this is the stuff. Can’t be sure as the wife buys it, but it looks like it. Not cheap but works well and provides the best protection.

https://www.dermacaredirect.co.uk/evy-sunscreen-mousse-spf50.html?fo_c=715&fo_k=a5a4a107c5a1cff1eecc0254dbc71a3a&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIusOB-tfJ2gIVQxYbCh1wWQSFEAQYBCABEgKqDfD_BwE

2nd edit: looks like P20 only achieves 4 starts on the UVA rating, and it seems the chatter on the inter web is that it is  a common experience of users that it does stain clothes, towels and sun loungers, so seems a pretty common experience. I can recommend the Mouse stuff or Boots Soltan. Achieves 5 stars, easy to apply and doesn’t stain. Moon on a stick!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Suncream As good as p20 but that doesn’t stain, moon on a stick’ is closed to new replies.