Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Summer holiday plans Scotland in camper van help/advice please
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Mulling over plans for the summer, here are the basics…

1. My camper van will be in Leeds from July (brother borrowing it) So we will get train/drive to Leeds from London.

2. Have a week booked in the Lake District in a friends cottage so ideally have a week to play with, leave Leeds on Sat morn to arrive in the Lakes a week later…via Scotland.

Useful info
    2 children (4 and 6)
    Not interested in visiting Cities but want big sky and terrific views rural quietness etc
    First 2 weeks of August
    25 year old VW camper van

Many thanks in advance

Be great to get some advice rough itinerary of times places to see etc

sparksmcguff

Big skys? Applecross and Ullapool – lovely quiet beaches, inlets, rock pools, huge mountains, big skys.

tiggs121
    Free Member

West Coast, Skye, Mull and Outer Hebrides.

Loads of places to wild camp – fantastic beaches on Lewis/Harris where you can park up.

Some places we visited last year – Arnamurchan, Sandwood Bay, Assynt, Applecross, Torridon, Stoer, Durness and then home via Black Isle and Cairngorms.

If wild camping you can often get showers at ferry terminals if required.

If the weather is kind you’ll love it.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

is a week enough time ?

tiggs121
    Free Member

Not for all of that but you can do some. Bear in mind it is a long way to the North West. Might be better to go to Skye, Mull, Ardnamurchan.

Plenty to do with kids for a week.

Kunstler

In that time frame and with young kids I would suggest maybe Oban then up to Glen Coe and Fort William area then on to Arisaig. You’ll see some of the best of the Highland landscapes and the beautiful west coast without using up too much time driving around.

Oban has lots that you can do with kids. Trips out on a boat to see the seals or a ferry to Mull.

Glen Coe – an adventure up into the Lost valley. Scrambling over rocks and up a river gorge at a level that is brilliant fun for kids.

Glen Nevis – Nevis gorge, Steall meadow and himalayan rope bridge. Another fantastic amount of mountain adventure in a short distance and without much effort. Kids would need long arma to get across the wire bridge but they’ll laugh at you wobbling your way over it.

Arisaig for some of the best beaches on the planet. Rocks to scramble on, incredible sunsets over the islands and the kids will make friends if you stay on one of the great campsites up this stretch of coast.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mihbl48kMcs[/video]

Kunstler

is a week enough time ?

Fourteen years hasn’t been enough so far. But the above is probably the best we’ve done with kids.

towzer

otter spotting in Skye – get there am – before light (over bridge and R towards ferry to hide)

Glenelg brochs – old gypsy/hippycararvan further up dead end as cafe

http://www.theskyeguide.com/walking-mainmenu-32/13-moderate-walks/128-quiraing

falls of Glomach (bike and walk)

drive Applecross/Torridon road, stay at Applecross beach, do funeral road ride from there – track E and Nish to Kenmore

short walk and picnic at talisker bay

treat kids and stay here 1 night – http://www.stayatalighthouse.co.uk/

Ambrose

As mentioned above, Applecross and Torridon areas are fabulous. Also consider Glen Brittle on Skye, super campsite on the beach with mountain and riverside walks from the backdoor.

Chew
    Free Member

Leeds > Scotland > Lakes is a very long way especially in a camper van with small children.

How many hours do you want to be on the road each day considering small children, having a campervan to drive at 60mph, as well as driving days/holiday days?

Leeds to Torridon by car is a good 8 hours so you’ll be taking 10-12 in a campervan. By the time you’ve gotten there you proabably have to turn back around to get to the Lakes.

Does it have to be Scotland?
    Plenty of things to do and see in the Dales/Moors/Northumberland on the way to the Lakes (and plenty to see in the Lakes as well)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A week? I wouldn’t go anywhere near as far north as Skye, or wester Ross. Especially in an old camper van, you’d spend wayyy too much time driving. I’d echo some sentiments above, Oban, mull and no further north than Glencoe. It doesn’t look far on a map, but you’re not driving on a map.

Also consider the borders, as well as fife, some lovely places in both those areas, and in terms of the wee midgie b’stards, relatively free of them.

Enjoy.

geoffj

I wouldn’t venture further than Dumfries & Galloway for a week. Plenty of beaches/hills/forests without having to go north of Lockerbie.

sparksmcguff

I would agree that Ullapool/applecross are a long way from the north of England – but they’re worth an overnight drive. That way you cover lots of distance then stick within a small area. My kids love heading out in the camper for a journey and arriving and staying.

If you’re going for a shorter trip up from the lakes than stick within Dumfries and Galloway. It’s lovely. And if you want hills you can nip over to Arran. Slightly further and also with softer scenery are the trossachs leading on to pitlochry and the tay area. Great mini adventure, short miles, rapidly changing scenery, don’t have to go far to see lots. Ace for kids.

scotroutes

+1

Head along the Galloway coast for great beaches, woods, cliffs etc.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

wow thanks for replies so far

scotroutes

Almost forgot this…

http://www.creamogalloway.co.uk/

athgray
    Free Member

You might want to make a couple of itineries and decide late depending on the weather. Much of West Scotland is lovely, however the East sees drier weather. St Andrews/East Neuk of Fife/Dundee offers plenty of opportunity for stuff to do. Perthshire hills and towns not far. Glen Clova is worth a visit. Aviemore and Braemar are not too far. If you want to do a distillery tour, the Famous Grouse experience near Pitlochry is about as child friendly as a distillery tour can be. I know you said no cities, however Dundee is quite small and Scott’s ship Discovery is interesting to see. Hope that helps.

Trekster

http://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/dumfries-galloway/

25yr old camper van with 2 kids 😐 Check your distances and work out your average speed which will be a lot slower than what mapping sites like the AA give.
    Be sure to think about the kids and not what “you” want, seen some really miserable kids on campsites 💡
    Having 4 grand kids I know how far I would be travelling!
    My own kids now know one of the reasons they always had “stay at home” holidays, the other being affordability.
    I would leave going too far north till the can appreciate it more 💡

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Summer holiday plans Scotland in camper van help/advice please’ is closed to new replies.