Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 204 total)
  • Summer Chub Club!!!!….
  • slugwash
    Free Member

Not able to weigh myself this week as I’m on a MTB road trip. However, as I walked into Morrison’s for a cooked breakfast (the small one!) this morning I had to hold my trousers up, so something’s gone (probably all the blood the Welsh midges and mozzies helped themselves to!). Will trouble the scales in a couple of days.

Not joined the club, but am on a weight loss routine at the moment.

Got to 14st 13 with a decent sized gut.

Got down to 14st 4 and shaping up.

Cut down bread, pasta, potatoes, generally eating les and moving a bit more. Started going back to the gym to do weights

Got told a couple of weeks ago my cholestrol was high at 7, so cut out processed meat, crisps, fried food, dairy products alltogether. Down to 13st 12 now and been hitting the gym, so some of that is muscle gain countering the fat loss

cubist
    Free Member

I’ve been pleasantly suprised with my progress and since March I’ve dropped 2st 2lb. My diet is pretty strict until the weekends but it feels pretty maintainable. The issue is I have signed up to learn to Sky Dive at the end of next month and need to drop another 12lb to get under their BMI ruling. I’ve been hitting the weights hard so my BMI is quite high for my height due to muscle mass. A bit worried if I can keep losing 2lb a week going forwards. I have not a lot extra to cut out mid week and have no more time to increase my activity so I guess I need to lay off the beer/wine at the weekends and keep focussed on the end goal, shame as I bloody love the booze….

cakeandcheese

I’m struggling to get access to the sheet at the mo, so haven’t updated for a couple of weeks.

Was 77.4 last week so holding steady at -4kg. I’ve had a good week so far so not dreading this fridays weigh in for once!

Am optimistic about hitting my 76kg target by week 10 (-5.5kg overall). Just a couple more weeks to go!

austy
    Free Member

Overall quite happy too slowly losing weight feeling the looseness on trousers is a good guide.

Weight has been yoyoing a bit but trend is going down. Started out at nearly 15st Jan 2020 and nearly down to 13st.

The big thing, has been changing habits, no more bowls of cereal before bed etc, did start going to bed a little hungry but that soon went away after a week or two.

Still see a bit of belly wobble hanging around so gonna keep on it. Surprised how much I still have to lose thought it was only a stone I needed to lose but appears much more than anticipated.

Keep it up everyone.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

I’m finding that my lizard brain is demanding food and overwhelming the faint cries of, “but you’re trying to control your weight” and so I’ve found the weight creeping back on.

I am mainly still exercising and that seems to trigger the EAT EAT EAT mode – has anyone got tips on when and what to eat while trying to control weight when you’re doing extensive exercise (e.g. spending 2+ hours running, 3+ hours cycling or walking)?

The EAT EAT EAT danger period appears to be evening when I’m tuckered out from the day.

olddog

I am mainly still exercising and that seems to trigger the EAT EAT EAT mode – has anyone got tips on when and what to eat while trying to control weight when you’re doing extensive exercise (e.g. spending 2+ hours running, 3+ hours cycling or walking)?

I’ve started having protein shakes after hard exercise. I find it helpful to kill that inner voice shouting “carb me carb me”. I think it’s a combination of protein, liquid/volume and because I rely don’t like the taste (especially the Vegan ones).

I didn’t start drinking them for this, it was actually to up protein intake as I’ve been bouldering loads and looking to support strength development. The killing appetite was just a welcome side effect.

olddog

… and I’m vegetarian so getting in significant protein whilst minimising calories is just easier with shakes

toby1

Work sent me a tin of Quality street this week as part of an internal celebration, I ate the lot pretty much! Weight is definitely on the increase recently!

uggski

Stayed the same for a few weeks now.

forge197
    Free Member

200 grams less than start weight still a loss, two weeks holiday wasn’t kind, though a clean week has helped loose some, 6 weeks to go will see what I can achieve 🙂

coconut
    Free Member

Morning all – For those who wishing to carry on, there is another 5 weeks added to the spreadsheet. You have the option of meeting the original end date next week – 23rd July, or on 27th Aug…. I’m going for August.

olddog

400g this week after flatlinig. I’m in for the extra weeks- cheers coconut

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

has anyone got tips on when and what to eat while trying to control weight when you’re doing extensive exercise (e.g. spending 2+ hours running, 3+ hours cycling or walking)?

Drink more water? sometimes it’s easy to mistake your bodys desire for fluids as a feeling of hunger. Get loads of fluids in, at the very least it’ll take the edge off the hunger.

MoreCashThanDash

So an overall gain, and another Chub Club wasted.

I really think I need some psychological help to sort my relationship with food.

twonks

Well that was a shambles. Just had two weeks off and despite cycling a few days in CYB and some more this week, I have lost a magnificent 0.4KG since joining.

On a positive spin, at least it has stopped the weight increase rot and the line on ‘health mate’ app is heading down.

As above, ultimately I need to change my relationship with food. It’s fuel not pleasure – just I can’t stop enjoying the rush of good feeling that some (mainly bad) foods give.

chrispoffer

Another good week in the Chrispoffer house, another couple of lbs off.

I LOVE eating the bad food – I’m just getting better at moderating what goes in and that’s really because I keep on using the app.

Had a meal out last Saturday and stuffed myself with an enourmous pizza, half a garlic bread and a bottle of wine. Blew my calories for the day obviously, nearly 3k calories instead of my current daily target of 1,918. Was pretty good for the rest of the week, made sure I was doing plenty of exercise and ended last week with a food deficit (according to Nutracheck) of around 1000 calories, including pizzafest.

Another 13 lb to go to get where I’d like to be…….

olddog

My weight loss is ongoing but very “steady”. One big night and I flatline for a week. Two nights and I’m going backwards.

What has helped me is massively cutting down on the beer – both directly but also the secondary calories from eating shite when pissed and recovery breakfasts.

I do miss it though…

stripeysocks
    Free Member

@Morecashthandash I feel your pain, I was doing ok but have put on half a stone in the most recent phase of chub club. Bummer.

It’s like the bit of my brain which goes “just think how happy your crumbling joints would be if they had less of a burden to bear” is torpid and powerless in the face of the bit of me that walks over to the kitchen for a handful of peanuts / slice of toast / etc. I feel like I’m sitting there like a passenger in my own body. I know I do it, I don’t know the ultimate reason why nor do I really know how to steer myself into better ways. Sound familiar?

Wonder if there’s also some unconscious resentment at the current pandemic-related situation and so lizard brain is compensating thru snax.

Anyway next week:
    – buy absolute shedloads of NICE fruit. Grapes strawberries nectarines bananas blueberries grapefruit … Anything that’s a treat.
    – moah running and cycling.
    The “big” (for me!) events (50 mile sportive, long distance walks @ 14 mi/day, a half marathon) will all be ticked off by tomorrow afternoon so I won’t be semi-consciously “saving myself” and so can do an hour or two a day. Running in particular seems to help control the snacking!brain

– look up more interesting salad recipes – salad & falafel does fill me up and is actually satisfying but not every blooming day – something with a mix of textures and tastes, that takes a while to chomp through.

At least I’m still weighing myself rather than giving up and going full ostrich.

MoreCashThanDash

I feel like I’m sitting there like a passenger in my own body. I know I do it, I don’t know the ultimate reason why nor do I really know how to steer myself into better ways. Sound familiar?

Painfully familiar. I’d like to blame some of it on lockdown but I’ve been like this for years.

The ads for Noom suggest it works by changing your mindset – there was a thread on here that didn’t really give any experience as to whether it worked.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Anyway I now have half the fridge filled with good quality fruit so when I got snacky-snacky last night I had a plum and that worked. Small victories!

chrispoffer

It’s that day of the week again….! Still going OK here even though I went out to an actual sweaty gig last night straight from work and had two beers and a burrito the size of my head. Hit two milestones today, 3 stones off since starting with Nutracheck in Jan this year and 4 stones off overall since June last year. I got a Nutracheck rosette and everything 🙂

I looked into Noom when I first saw the adverts. Before I researched it I’d assumed that it was one of those eat dust / meal replacement plans but it actually looks like a Nutracheck / Myfitnesspal type app measuring your calorie intake and expenditure against your daily/weekly targets with added bot/mentor encouragement a bit like slimming world and the like. Looked expensive to me especially as the pricing isn’t obvious. As with lots of posh shops I figured if they weren’t going to be up front about how much it costs then I shouldn’t trouble them with my business.

Have upped my fruit intake over the last couple of weeks as we got a new smoothie maker. Yer basic ‘nana, 200ml milk and a bit of vanilla essence smoothie comes in at 178 calories and is a good brekkie replacement but pineapple based, frozen berry based, peach and frozen rasberry are all recommended as properly yummy and between 150 and 180 calories a go. Loads of recipes on BBC Food.

austy
    Free Member

Back on the scales this week and a drop from last week which I’m happy about since there was BBQs and beer at the weekend and the weight gain last week.
    General trend still slowly downwards.

cakeandcheese

Final weigh in!

Got stuck at 77.5ish for a few weeks now. We’re in lockdown here, and it’s winter, so motivation to get moving has been low.

Thanks to all for setting this up and sticking with it along the way. Overall about 4kg off which I’m happy with. Hopefully back to racing weight at 75kg by the time spring comes and lockdown ends!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve been putting on weight hand over fist this last week, close to 3Kg, hoping it’s simply all the extra fluid I’ve been drinking in the heatwave!

twonks

Well I failed.
    Started 120.4Kg, ended up 120.1Kg.

Can’t put a disheartened smiley though, as one thing is very evident with weight loss – it is down to me !

Clearly don’t want it bad enough.

p7eaven
    Free Member

As discussec a few weeks back seems I set my goal too high (12 kilos in 10 weeks). Could have done 10kg easily but finished up losing just 7.

Not so bad, yet disappointed in self.

An yet, against a backdrop of a personal (10-month lose 36kg) target, the STW Summer Chub Club has definitely helped me re-focus and learn a lot about damaging habits.

For anyone interested in comparing: For me, these seem to be boring old bread, beer, chips, crisps, takeaway meals. I initially pledged to cut them out and did well for two months, but have reneged a handful of times during last 4 weeks. It’s made the struggle harder than it needed to be, so need to reconsider whether to either

1. ‘’Allow’ the odd pint and takeaway as long as it’s just once every two weeks and also offset by a fast day.

or

2. Go back to excluding them altogether as having them ‘once or twice’ when feeling my defences are down only encourages the ‘Bread, beer, takeaway, = treats’ lifestyle.

Weirdly tough decision but I have to make it today!

Thanks OP and all for this big help 🙂

uggski

Up a kilo 🙁 Must do better. Not reached my target but have lost overall. Will keep trying

stripeysocks
    Free Member

No worse, at least.
    Trying to think of what’s behind the mini-manic phases where a bit of my brain goes,
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING!!! HAVE A….
    (Insert food and/or drink item here) and it feels like absolutely the right and natural thing to do.

As opposed to the “bored/tired snacking” thing where more of you knows what you’re doing isn’t the best.

The “shedloads of fruit” thing has been reasonably effective. I might try making up little pots of bean salad as a savoury equivalent and see how that goes.

cubist
    Free Member

1. ‘’Allow’ the odd pint and takeaway as long as it’s just once every two weeks and also offset by a fast day.

or

2. Go back to excluding them altogether as having them ‘once or twice’ when feeling my defences are down only encourages the ‘Bread, beer, takeaway, = treats’ lifestyle.

I am a big fan of intermittent fasting but you need to be seriously careful about linking a fast to a cheat. Someone I really care about developed an eating disorder with that sort of behaviour. Saying that excluding the nice stuff entirely would be crap.

chrispoffer

Takeaways…… Mmmmmmmm…… So goddam tasty aren’t they?

And hugely calorific of course.

Although – depends what you’re trying to achieve and what you choose.

Things that I’ve learnt since Jan by Nutrachecking everything:

Love a Subway? So you should, the bread’s virtually cake. And a 6″ hearty whatever will start you at a couple of hundred calories even without the filling, cheese or dressing. But they do cracking salads with whichever filling you like and they come in about 130 calories done. A calorific and tasty bargain!

KFC? My personal fave’s the Zinger Tower. 600 calories of yummyness. Large fries with that? Another 345c. Or……… A Zinger salad is all in at 350c. Even if you have the Zinger rice box it’s only 480c and you certainly don’t need fries with that, I always feel stuffed.

These feel like real treats to me and if you’re trying to keep under a couple of thousand calories for the day they really help you stick to it.

And if you have to go Kebab Krazy a medium chicken with pitta with salad and sauce is under 600c. For me, I just pick and choose when I have one, keep the day right overall if I can.

It’s easier for me as I hardly drink, booze can be a bit calorific. Pint of lager is 136, beer is 170ish and a big half litre bottle of fruity Koppaberg is 275c. A bottle of dry white is around 555.

Counting calories isn’t for everyone and isn’t the be all and end all. It has worked for me though since the start of the year – and as I’m heading down to my target weight I think I’ll be continuing with it. I’m the lightest I’ve been since I was a teenager and although I’m still a big unit I feel better than ever. I think in the past when I’ve tried to lose weight I’ve been too busy overcomplicating it and not tracking what I’m eating, just thinking because something’s ‘good for you’ it’s OK to eat masses of it – and then beating myself up for eating shyte. Tracking and weighing stuff has really helped me, i don’t worry about trying to find ‘good for you’ food my diet’s just graduated that way over the time I’ve been doing it. Having an app in my pocket that gives me instant info helps me choose. Even down to having a Solero after my dinner or not – under a hundred calories if you’re interested! 🙂

I reckon non fatties probably just know all the stuff the app gives me but as I’ve been big since my twenties it’s all been about the gratification that food’s given me rather than being able to be sensible all by myself. So having Nutracheck (or myfitnesspal / noom / slimmingworld / whatever) has given me the knowledge that I’ve never had before to help me improve my health by eating better.

On a slightly different tangent, had my cholesterol checked again this week.

Gone down from 7 to 5.7 in 5-6 weeks. Tryglicerides down to 3.5, but don’t know what they were before. GP was very impressed

FB-ATB

While we’re on cholesterol, does anyone know if you had a diet that caused high cholesterol and blocked arteries and then changed diet which reduced cholesterol, would the arteries clear up eventually or would the fatty deposits remain?

p7eaven
    Free Member

Thanks @cubist for the caution re treat + fast. I tend to agree, with that I’d be setting myself up for failure. Losing weight is my immediate (and long -overdue) concern/goal but the whole issue is around lifestyle/‘fixing’ an existing disorder. I was going great guns, now plateaud for three weeks so new resolve and (re!)-decided to ditch the chips altogether until I’ve fixed the disorder. Now my ‘treat’ instead is to source, cook and eat tasty health food all of the time. If that isn’t a luxury in and of itself then I don’t know what is. Dal and grains are my go-to now. Also fruit and veg. Dark chocolate square every night. Cycling is also increasing as an old injury begins healing. Swimming is the missing link, but the rivers are polluted, the quarry is dangerous and I’m still not convinced that local indoor swimming pool is a wise move yet. Onwards and upwards…

p7eaven
    Free Member

*tasty healthy food. Not ‘health food’. Hmmm.

@FB-ATB

would the arteries clear up eventually or would the fatty deposits remain?

I read somewhere that arterial plaque-buildup can be reversed (to a small degree?) with combination drug therapy (statins and niacin). Most things I’ve ever read say that atherosclerosis may be slowed and at best halted.

IANAD

FB-ATB

@p7- cheers.

olddog

Still flat-lining. I’ve had a couple of big nights out over last couple of weeks so I’m ok with that

uggski

Lost a bit but still above where I was 2 weeks ago but I have a good excuse. It was a birthday week and I overdid it.

Another bit off, now down to 13st 9

That’s a loss of 18lbs

cubist
    Free Member

Hit target and have lost 2stone since the start of Chubb Club and 3 in total since March. Woo Hoo.

Celebrating my new lower BMI by learning to SkyDive. At least the crater will be smaller when I screw up 🙂

For ref. I have been going to the gym and lifting big weights, lots of compound excercises etc… took up kick boxing for a bit of HIIT and Hit and have done a bit of running when I couldn’t get out on the bike. This was coupled with a really strong focus on high protein/lower carb diet, intermittent fasting (24hrs at a time and for most of the week eating window of no wider than 6-8hrs) However, I have eaten/drank what I want at weekends when with my kids or if going out with mates.

Currently look and feel my best since my late twenties (whihc is a long time ago) Sorry if this all sounds smug but I am feeling smug today and thought it might be motivational for others to see being a 45 year old 16stone glutton with a desk job isn’t a barrier.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 204 total)

The topic ‘Summer Chub Club!!!!….’ is closed to new replies.