Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 204 total)
  • Summer Chub Club!!!!….
  • Not joined the club, but am on a weight loss routine at the moment.

Got to 14st 13 with a decent sized gut.

Got down to 14st 4 and shaping up.

Cut down bread, pasta, potatoes, generally eating les and moving a bit more. Started going back to the gym to do weights

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Oh I need to get on this. Post covid recovery has been a but slow but managed to only put a couple of kg on which is good and have slowly been upping the exercise again. Must be able to get to 98-ish kg by the end of this one…

Premier Icon cakeandcheese

Week 2 weigh in!

Surprised to see another 700g dropped this week. I didn’t really try to change much and haven’t ridded since Sunday. I guess a problem measured is a problem managed, and I’ve perhaps made better choices with Friday’s weigh in at the back of my mind.

Premier Icon forge197

After three days of eating out in the last week, a 300 gram rise is better than expected!

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

Somehow managed to put almost 2kg on 😯

I was going to blame my covid jab, and feeling a bit unwell. Then remembered I was away at the seaside last weekend eating chips and have eaten at least 2 packets of biscuits this week…….

Back on the wagon this week.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Let self down at the start of the week (too many beers, peshwari naan instead of rice) but pulled it back in line yesterday with extra exercise and a fasting day to just get me over the line. One kilo at a time, how hard can it be? 😅

Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

Continuing my slow downwards decent 😁

2nd jab yesterday and feeling a bit lethargic today, so better make sure there no comfort eating to spoil my downward slope.

Premier Icon blokeuptheroad
    Free Member

No change this week disappointingly. A couple of weights/interval sessions and ‘mostly’ healthy eating. Offset though by a boozy overnight meal/social at a mates last weekend and first post lockdown pub lunch mid week. Going to knuckle down this week!

Premier Icon OwenP

Finally! Down a bit on starting weight. 700g isn’t going to make my shirts fit, but I’m heading downwards at least

Premier Icon Eyepic
    Free Member

No change this week and to be honest I consider myself to have been luck to have not increased after the shocking start I had to the week.

Premier Icon twonks

Stopped the rot and started loosing, which combined with getting on the bike more makes me happy 🙂

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

I’m consistent, another 200g gained this week.

To be fair, I was very close to ringing the GP and begging to go back on the Citalopram most of the week. Got through it now, so I’m not beating myself up over it.

Premier Icon stumpyjon

After about of month of flatlining I’ve finally started to lose weight again, down nearly a kilo, well happy with that.

Premier Icon olddog

Flatline for me Friday to Friday, but weekly average is down, so that will do for now.

Premier Icon wheeliedirty
    Free Member

I lost 1.1 kg this week.

Kind of surprised, there was a mid-week incident with a bar of lindt pointe de sel.

Premier Icon stumpy01

wheeliedirty

Kind of surprised, there was a mid-week incident with a bar of lindt pointe de sel.

Ha ha!

I seem to be sitting around 73kg & struggling to shift below it. I did weight myself this morning after a workout, so had a cuppa & banana beforehand, load of water during & some Clif Bloks.
    Perhaps not representative so will weigh myself again tomorrow morning just in case the weight falls off over-night!

Premier Icon lightfighter762

Time to cardio before breakfast. Sprints. 20 sec jog then sprint for 10 secs going back into the 20 sec jog etc. Do this twice per minute. Spend 5 minutes on it. You will be ripped if your diet is clean. If it is safe for you to run!

Premier Icon austy
    Free Member

After plateauing for the start of the year managed to start dropping a good chunk this week after having a good week not over indulging.

Keep on it guys you can do it.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

Somehow managed to put almost 2kg on 😯

Glad I’m not the only one. 1.2kg in my case, driven by lots of time taking my parents to hospital appointments. That meant lots of cake, biscuits and bacon sandwiches and little time on the bike.

The next week is pretty empty and it looks like the weather will be good so really need to work hard and get it all shifted by next week.

Premier Icon muggomagic

I managed to lose a little bit this week which was a pleasant surprise. I’ve had man flu since Sunday so I’ve done hardly any exercise and it feels like I’ve been eating and drinking all of the things I shouldn’t. A pre weigh in ride early this morning must have helped sweat out the 400g I’ve lost, but really was expecting to go up (and by a fair bit) this week.

Premier Icon forge197

Not gone the right direction this week 🙂 despite reasonable diet and good exercise.

Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

Down 1.1kg so very happy with that.

Been managing to get a bit more road riding without too many complaints from my knee so all’s good. Did a 95k hilly road ride last Saturday Which is the longest for sometime. I’m tempted to go longer again tomorrow…

Can you tell me how lots of riding equals weight loss then longdog as I’ve done nearly 100 miles offroad this week and a few gym sessions with no snacking and I’m stubbornly stuck at 83.3kgs!

Premier Icon twonks

Down to below 120Kg – never going to exceed that ever again 🙂

@reluctantjumper
    probably gained muscle mass which has negated the fat loss.

If you’re training or doing more than you were pre weight monitoring (refuse to call it a diet), then maybe create a measurements log too.

They say a lot more than weight alone when training.

There’s plenty of resource out there but I am recording the following,
    Waist, gut (fattest part), chest, calf, top of thigh, bicep, neck, wrist.

The obvious ones that you notice are clear, although if on the fatter end of the spectrum, the neck and wrist measurements give a good picture of overall fat loss.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

82.2 – yay, a loss!

Ridden 130+ miles since the last weigh in mind 🥵

@twonks – I’m trying to get my endurance fitness up for a SDW ride later in the year but I’ve been Zwifting all winter so it shouldn’t make a massive difference to muscle mass. My belly fat has gone down though so you may be right, jeans are still tight though.

Premier Icon cakeandcheese

Record so far, week on week:
    -2kg
    -0.7kg
    +0.3kg

At this rate I’ll be the size of a house in 7 more weeks!

Truth be told I had a bad week. Lots of travel, stress and winter weather (Southern Hemisphere).

Coming week I’ll be on it. Promise 🤣

Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

@reluctantjumper

Can you tell me how lots of riding equals weight loss then longdog as I’ve done nearly 100 miles offroad this week and a few gym sessions with no snacking and I’m stubbornly stuck at 83.3kgs!

Well lots of riding equals lots of calories burned. With endurance riding, unless you’re new, you’re not likely to be building much in the way of muscle, but you could have lots of inflammation. I suffer quite badly from inflammation in my upper legs after rides. Depending on what you’re eating and drinking there could be fluid retention to consider too.

Otherwise in the absence of some medical issue if you’re not losing weight to some degree you’re basically eating too much even if you’re not snacking. Even with keto and variations there’s still a calorie balance at play, even if how it plays out is effected hormonally.

Do you track your food and exercise on my fitness pal or similar?

I’m 102kg/225lb, 6ft, large frame and averaging 2200-2400 cals a day. The longer ride days more like 3000-3200cals.

I’m only riding 3 days a week (one long) to give my knee recovery time, short walks each day, and short cold water swims 3-4days a week.

Premier Icon molgrips

Oh hello are we discussing physiology? 🙂

Fat doesn’t get converted into forward bicycle motion by some kind of machine, any more than pressing the accelerator in your car makes it go. Pressing the accelerator tells the computer to inject more fuel into each cylinder, the fuel burns and that’s what makes it go.

I think this is how it works based on experience and a bit of reading: When you ride, you use up some glycogen and some fatty acids (I think?) from your muscles and liver. When glygocen in the liver gets low it produces a hormone called glucagon which promotes the conversion of fat into glucose for your muscles and liver to replenish their stores. If you eat foods with carbohydrate, the carbs go into your blood as glucose and this stimulates the release of insulin, which encourages your liver and muscles to take up the glucose.

If you exercise and then don’t eat enough you are relying on your body producing and responding to glucagon. If it doesn’t do this enough, your glycogen stores stay low and you end up feeling crap and you’re not able to ride as hard. Your metabolic rate will also drop and you end up feeling colder. And on top of that, your muscles won’t get the energy you need to recover.

I’ve found that if I ride too much and don’t eat enough, this happens – I’m dog tired all the time, I feel awful, and I can’t ride well at all. If I ride a lot and eat a lot, then I feel great, I get faster, but I don’t lose weight. The trick is to eat less than you need to stimulate glucagon production, but not too much.

Basically, do just enough riding and just enough eating so you’re in a small carbohydrate deficit, but not a big one. This might mean riding less. Long rides put your body under quite a bit of stress, which causes problems for weight loss I think. It would probably work to ride shitloads (at lower pace) and eat well, but this takes loads of time. If you have less time than that, ride less, at reasonable intensity and restrict carbs.

Last winter I lost weight by riding hard on Zwift twice a week, because each race was only 1/2 hour long so the physical stress wasn’t too much and I didn’t have too big a carb deficit.

I’m back to 87kg which I haven’t seen in quite a while.

Premier Icon austy
    Free Member

Molgrips good bit of info on staying at the right food/calorie levels makes sense and logical.

Had an OK week gaining only 100g after big loss last week. Hoping to keep the downward trend going.

Premier Icon muggomagic

I’ve managed to hold on this week which is a bonus as up to Thursday I’ve still been feeling unwell so while I’ve been keeping on top of what I’ve been eating I’ve not been up to any exercise. Plus I still feel I’ve a couple of kgs of snot in my lungs.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

at least 2 packets of biscuits this week…….Back on the wagon this week.

Premier Icon olddog

I heard an interview with Herman Potzner on the radio. He’s an evolutionary biologist and his research suggests that exercise has little impact on metabolism/calorie requirement unless you are doing huge amounts (like TdF amounts) of day in day out activity.

His argument is that exercise is good as it regulates inflammatory disease and hormone balance – whereas not exercising the body uses the additional calories to do the opposite. So because the body will burn calories up to quite a high level anyway doing these unhelpful things if not through exercise you will not burn any extra through exercise

Basically he is saying you can’t out exercise a bad diet. So exercise for health, calorie restriction for weight loss

I’m not sure I buy it completely, but it is interesting.

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/metabolism-myth-why-exercise-wont-make-you-thinner-burn-author-herman-pontzer-894794

Do you track your food and exercise on my fitness pal or similar?

I’m 102kg/225lb, 6ft, large frame and averaging 2200-2400 cals a day. The longer ride days more like 3000-3200cals.

I’m not adventurous with food so eat the same stuff all the time and know the calorific value of it all (I rarely feel hungry, can go days without eating if I fall out of routine!!) so calorific intake is around the 2k mark on non-riding days. If I only do a short 1-2hr ride I won’t eat any extra but longer rides I take flapjacks and eat roughly 200 cals per hour while burning 6-700 cals an hour according to my Garmin with HR strap. I don’t eat anything extra after a gym session, just my normal meal when I get in. All the calcs say I should be in a deficit of between 3-600 cals a day but it doesn’t make any difference. Maybe I just burn less than average per day on just keeping alive? I’m not in work currently and my old job was pretty physical, I used to eat another 500 cals per day then and still lose a bit of weight over the week that allowed room for a Friday takeaway with no weight gain so that could be a big factor.

Premier Icon molgrips

Enough exercise will create the required levels of the right hormones due to glycogen balance regardless of what you eat because you can only process so much food. Your exercise level, your carb intake and your metabolic rate all need to work together.

Basically your body is a system.of hormones and it has no intelligence, it just responds to hormones. Do things to promote the hormonal environment that promotes lipolysis instead of lipogenesis and you’ll lose fat. This means not triggering any of the feedback mechanisms that inhibit lipolysis.

In terms of automotive analogies, it’s like tuning your car. If you simply want to go faster there are lots of ways to achieve the same result.

Premier Icon molgrips

Maybe I just burn less than average per day on just keeping alive?

Yeah this can be quite variable but is really hard to measure.

Remember it’s not about ‘burning more calories’ it’s about creating the conditions that promote lipolysis or prevent lipogenesis. This can overlap with simply doing more exercise but not always.

Premier Icon slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve just adjusted my start weight and target weight. Initially, I had a set of dodgy mechanical scales which gave inconsistent readings. I’ve now bought a new pair of digital ones, put them on a level surface and weighted myself each morning for a few days. They seem accurate. So, my (now accurate) weight has gone up to 94.1kg but I know I’ve lost some pounds in the last few weeks ‘cos, firstly I can feel it and secondly, a couple of people have mentioned it. However, I still expect to be an overweight, middle aged tail-end rider come late July as nearly every other weight-loss regime over the last fifteen years has failed! Nothing like positive thinking.

Premier Icon forge197

Back to less than start weight let’s hope that’s a start of new downward trend 👍

Premier Icon ernie67

Pffffftttttt…..heavier than when i started despite riding more.
    Calorie logging from now on, see what happens then 😕

Premier Icon olddog

0.9kg for me this week!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 204 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.