Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Suggestions for a lightweight mountain walking waterproof
  • convert

A summer of adventure ahead of me up here in the glorious Highlands. I’ve got some pretty guchi lightweight clobber for fast and light travel.

But this is the Highlands – wet weather survival is still very much a thing, even when not forecast.

Currently I’m using my full blow winter/ice goretex 12 months a year. It’s a bit heavy, not as breathable as it could be and very full on. Wearing it out on summer trips feels silly too – it was silly money.

So, any recommendations on a lighter offering (trousers too) that is still Scottish mountains in the summer capable?

gordimhor

I have a regatta waterproof jacket. Can’t remember the name made of their stretch 10000 material has been flawless so far (2 months) £59. I live in Fort William .

jimw
    Free Member

I Have a Montane Pertex Shield jacket that has been excellent- I have used it for walking in the highlands in the summer. The current equivalent is their Meteor jacket. The only complaint would be it’s very slightly shorter than I would like when not wearing waterproof trousers in light drizzle

ElShalimo

ME Zeno jacket and trousers

Zeno Jacket

Light but robust and well…it’s Mountain Equipment.

Futureboy77

Seconded.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rab either Meridian or Zenith (sorry can’t remember but both are Goretex paclite) has worked well so far on a couple of scottish munro trips, altho no idea about long term yet. My previous experience of Goretex med to long term isn’t that great, so we’ll see. Anyway, very light and packs very small in it’s own little stuff sack.

bjhedley

Alpkit Gravitas. Very light and great for running and summer hill use in the Cairngorms etc, but also used it on a 2 day backpacking trip with a big/heavy rucksack with no ill wear effects and stayed nicely dry.

grahamt1980

As above, the alpkit one is really good. Weighs sod all and isn’t stupidly expensive

convert

Great – thanks all. I was minded towards the Alpkit, but there are a couple of others to look at too. My winter jacket is Mountain Equipment and a good fit so worth considering too.

matt_outandabout

Zeno Jacket

Light but robust and well…it’s Mountain Equipment

Thirded.
    It’s not perfect – slightly plasticy membrane, zips need regular wax (as do all ‘waterproof’ zips) and I’m sure my GoreTex ProShell was ultimately more breathable and waterproof.
    But it’s 1/3 the cost, light, long in body, pit zips, good hood and cut well.

scotroutes

In my experience it’s hard to see past ME for that type of kit. Given “summer” conditions though I usually end up taking my Kamleika. That assumes I’ll be carrying it more than wearing it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.