Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Suggest some new brakes to me
  • MSP

My requirements are, I am quite a big chap so something more powerfull, and I don’t really like much modulation I prefer a more binary feel.

Was looking at shimano xt, but they make a big deal about modulation so may not be for me. And quite like the look of formula T1, but recall problems when they first came out.

Any other suggestions?

banks
    Free Member

Xt end of, the amount of mtb guides which use them or xtr’s should speak volumes. A mate is sponsored by formula, still struggles to get enough spares & support of them & still uses deores on his non-races bikes.

tomhoward

Shimano at whatever budget suits.

ash.addy
    Free Member

+1 shimano deffo I’m a big guy and I love my saints got a set on my Evil Sovereign and already have a set for my next build.

noltae
    Free Member

Bit pricey for sure but I feel that xtr are worth every penny – the levers are beautiful … Mine have been a fit and forget component. .. Even with my windcutter rotors the stopping power is firm and reliable and they modulate perfectly… With icetech rotors I bet they would be beasts…

mintimperial

The most recent Shimanos are quite binary, in my opinion – in a good way. I vastly prefer them to the Hopes and Formulas I’ve used, both of which had more “modulation” (or sponginess). The new XTs are brilliant, but the cheaper Deores are just as good in terms of feel, just a bit heavier and a bit simpler.

I’ve also used Avids, which felt pretty good at first, but after a couple of months stopped working, and then exploded in an enormous fireball, as is usual with Avids.

Northwind

Yeah, tbh the big complaint about Shimano is a lack of modulation, they’re quite forceful and abrupt. I’d get whichever of theirs fits your budget.

monkeyboyjc

I was going to buy some xt brakes myself a couple of weeks ago but when I looked into it slx are 99% as good (only 40g or so heavier) for a lot let cash.

Rickos
    Free Member

If you want power then look at the Zee brakes. Fantastic bits of kit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Suggest some new brakes to me’ is closed to new replies.