Cannock Chase local? Check this out…

Home Forum Bike Forum Cannock Chase local? Check this out…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Cannock Chase local? Check this out…
  • williamtm

Had a bit of fun filming this yesterday. It’s mostly Lower Cliff, but there’s a bit from elsewhere on the Monkey too. 8)

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Some nice filming there chap! Trails look surprisingly dry too!

Premier Icon chrisdw
    Subscriber

Nice riding.

I have never ridden at Cannock, but it doesn’t look particularly exciting.

flip

Very good πŸ™‚

mindmap3

That looks amazingly dry…it was grim when I was last there. Wish I’d gone last night now, but I ended up working late instead.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Sweet clip. Like that.
    Good skills .

kjcc25

Sunshine and a bit of wind and the trails soon dry out on the Chase. Looking at the forecast they will be wet again for the weekend so beware of the pebbles. Great video.

jekkyl

lol@

I have never ridden at Cannock, but it doesn’t look particularly exciting.

you should go mate, it’s great.
    —————————————-
    Great video, however whenever I watch these vids I can’t help but think about the work that goes on trying to get flawless runs on vid. Film a bit, cycle ahead of rider, stop, set up cam, rider comes past, stop, cycle ahead of rider, stop, set up cam, rider comes past, stop, cycle ahead of rider, stop, set up cam, rider comes past, stop…

Must get frustrating when all you’d like to do is ride the trail.

scruff

Adam didnt clear the log 😳

fenn27

Excellent vid, and well timed to wet my appetite – grew up in stafford and taking some mates up there this saturday for my birthday ride. Although I now fear I may try and copy your log jump and end up in A&E.

Trimix

Blimey, that does look dry compared to the rest of the country.

jekkyl

fenn27 – grew up in stafford and taking some mates up there this saturday for my birthday ride.

if you want something different or if you have a bit of time where that log is at the ‘insidious incline’ that’s the climb to the last monkey descent lower cliff, instead of going over the log go right up the fireroad and over a little hill you’ll come to stile cop. There really should be a little sign I think letting people know this.

tk46hal

Great film but I must be getting old, I hate that music! πŸ˜‰

scruff

There really should be a little sign I think letting people know this.

Nope, I’ve picked up enough riders off the red course who shouldn’t be on there, or at least should have walked down for a look first before falling off and breaking their collar bone / leg / head.

fenn27

thanks jekkyl thats an excellent tip. Done the dog (and the stafford side of the chase as a boy) lots, but only the monkey once so looking forward to it. Although if the weather forecast is right may only manage the dog before hiding in the cafe…anyway say hi if you see me mincing along on my red rockhopper 23 inch gate

bokonon

Blimey, that does look dry compared to the rest of the country.

The area does seem to avoid the worst of the weather – being in the middle of the country has it’s advantages.

jekkyl

you’re welcome, another more simple tip is if you want to do the lower cliff again… when you finish it and get up to the fireroad just turn left and go up the hill, that brings you to the start of the climb. Do it again faster!! lower cliff really is excellent.

prawny

Saw this vid on Facebook yesterday, can’t wait for it to be light in the mornings/evenings so I can get out Kore often.

rocketman

Very good. Was that you on Lower Cliff on Monday with a tripod?

fenn27

Cool jekkyl..last time I did lower cliff I was on a old giant v brake thing and trying to grind a dead bottom bracket round..hopefully more fun this time. Looking forward to escaping the clag of northants, even Woburn is bordering on unrideable at the moment.

Premier Icon nevisthecat
    Subscriber

Nice video and looks really flowing πŸ™‚

As an import from oop north I have yet to do the Monkey. Keep an eye out for a fat lad on a cross bike and an Ilkley CC top this weekend. I’ll be the one pushing my eyeballs back in at the cafe.

jekkyl

it’s looking changeable for the weekend. The dog/monkey (donkey) is so important it’s got it’s own weather report page on the met. πŸ™‚

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/follow-the-dog-trail-staffordshire#?tab=fiveDay

I’m full of helpful tips today, I’ll stop now and do some work!

pocketrocket

It’s going to be so tempting to try and clear that log next time I’m there, problem is it’ll be a guaranteed visit to the dentist afterwards. πŸ˜•
    Video makes it look a lot smaller than in real life!

wobbliscott

The video, like most video’s, makes it look tamer than it is, and Adams a very good rider so he makes it look even tamer. OK its not the knarliest trail out there, but there are some sections that do make you hesitate for a moment or two just before you hit them every time so they’re not completely flat and easy. Adam took me and a few mates on a skills course a year or so ago. A really good bloke and did help us elivate us from our very basic skills. Recently we were talking about booking him up again this year for another course.

Yesterday, really?

Hmmmm………

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Looks fun, thanks. Hoping to make it for SSUK if not before.

williamtm

Glad everyone likes the video!

To answer the comments/questions:

1) It is pretty dry up there but there is of course still some mud around – needs about two weeks of dry weather to be completely dry I think.
    2) “I have never ridden at Cannock, but it doesn’t look particularly exciting.” – it’s a great trail, but if you’re used to bouncing around the Peaks or Scotland or Wales all day, you’ll find it pretty easy and possibly boring. Still, it’s worth a visit at least once.
    3) @jekkyl – that’s pretty much it. Lower Cliff usually takes a few minutes to ride, but it took us around an hour to do it. Tripod doesn’t help either – have to set that up too for each shot. Helps if you’re with someone who’s fairly patient and doesn’t mind the waiting!
    4) @scruff – Adam said he’s still getting used to the bike, so I’m sure he’ll clear it sooner or later.
    5) @rocketman – tripod on Monday – indeed it was. Hope I didn’t get in the way too much. πŸ˜‰
    6) @pocketrocket & wobbliscott – The wide angle lens definitely makes everything look flatter/easier. The rock gardens on the video look really easy but in real life, on a bike, high up, they look a lot worse.

Picto

That looks really good. Second the comment re the rock gardens looking less easy and a little steeper when riding them. Rode the last coiple of sections of the monkey sunday and the trail was as in the video. Bit muddy on most other trails though.

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

Liked that good effort.
    Worth a visit this year me thinks.

i was there monday, i can vouch for the dryness (mate went saturday and it was soaking wet!), it dries out super quick

i can also vouch for those guys, i saw them filming hopping over the log, it is much bigger than it looks in the video too, and also those rock gardens on the black section, although easily rideable they are much steeper than the video suggests, and i bet some folk have come a cropper on them, they are as tough as most black sections at trail centres ive been too

still a great video though cant wait to get back

rocketman

tripod on Monday – indeed it was. Hope I didn’t get in the way too much

Not at all Will – I was the slow old git on the blue hardtail

Premier Icon Mad Pierre
    Subscriber

Nice. I hope it’s that dry tomorrow night though I suspect not….. πŸ™

fr0sty125

I enjoyed that a lot! Clearly more fineness and far more skill than myself I wish I could manual and hop like that… But how come you rolled all the fun jumps at Lower Cliff that part you manual at 1:36 is great fun at full speed!

You made the black stuff look very easy and smooth to!

daveh

Ah, fond memories of summer pushing a snapped Grapil down Cannock trails…

Scamper

Some impressive riding there – that roll into the log is downhill too. Soon he’ll be good enough to ride with the WMMTB lot πŸ˜•

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase local? Check this out…’ is closed to new replies.