Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • STW Violinists assemble
  • matt_outandabout

Youngest_oab is heading for level 6.

He is full size violin and bow (cost around £550 with big discount a year or so back).

We’ve been asked by violin teacher to get him a new bow, a carbon one for lightness and response when playing. Cost £150-180 from her with some discount.

Do we *need* this?

(I know like bikes, teh carbonz or the hand made can be £000’s)

kayak23

It’s a bit of a fiddle but you could just get his standard one carbon wrapped. 😊 teacher’ll never know.

sparksmcguff

Your lad doesn’t need a carbon fibre bow.

(Family of musicians going back three generations, dad was co-founder of an orchestra, owner of several bows and associated instruments).

pennine
    Free Member

My next door neighbour is a professional classical violinist with Leeds Opera & also teaches kids with violin & piano. I can ask her next time I see her if you wish.

aP
    Free Member

Why would you need a carbon bow?

When I played I had a wooden bow. It was never ever a problem. It was a Dodd, which had been in the family for at least 6 generations, but the principle is the same.

matt_outandabout

I think it’s more a *better* bow, and carbon seems to be growing in popularity…

aP
    Free Member

If you search ‘carbon violin bow’ you could buy one for less than £40 or over £1000. I still don’t see the need.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Buy/keep the wooden one, build your Sons muscles up wunnit, you don’t want him being all “non-manly” do you?

Good effort, by your Son 👍

poly
    Free Member

Matt – eldest poly is about the same standard (whilst I think he is older, his upper body strength for someone his age is hardly amazing so not sure that matters).  We’ve never been asked to upgrade the bow (probably the same package from Stringers you got).  The test I had when buying the violin was if I (as a total Luddite, non-musician) could hear the difference when he played it we went to the better more expensive instrument – hence why we got that one. Perhaps you could use a similar approach with the teacher – she has him demonstrate with a carbon bow (she has one?) how much better he will be!

matt_outandabout

She has a dozen bows, one of which is worth what a good enduro FS bike would cost, he uses one during lesson at the moment.

Learning to ‘bounce’ the bow and be more dynamic it seems.

I’m trying to balance the cost, which being a cyclist is same as a colleague going ”HOW much for a bike?”, with it actually helping his playing…

aP
    Free Member

If it makes the tunes come alive then why not?

SaxonRider

A CARBON bow?!? My sister-in-law, who is a professional violinist, would balk at the thought! She’ll be here in a few minutes; I’ll ask her for advice.

kcal

Can be a good thing – our daughter – also Grade 8 IIRC – tried a violin from Stringers, but didn’t in the end like it or get on with it – cue a return – not easy when it’s 180 miles away.   She ended up getting a violin from a local guy, established violinist who trades in instruments as well as a bit of tuition.   She did keep the carbon bow though from memory — was a nicer feel to play apparently.    I is a luddite when it comes to playing though, although I do a appreciate music well-played (i.e. not by me).

moose
    Free Member

Missus sister is music teacher and professional violinist (she did the part on Brim Full of Asha) asking her now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘STW Violinists assemble’ is closed to new replies.