Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • STW Northern Chapter Ride – 19th September – Calderdale Classic
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

This was mentioned a while back and then it all went quiet? Is anyone still up for it? Route I mentioned seemed popular (Hebden > Jack Bridge > Egypt > Widdop > Gorple Road > Sheep Track > Long Causeway > Whirlaw Stones > golf course etc to Eastwood > Mankinholes > Birthday X > Hebden)…

Dave

Vortexracing

Up to now, yip i'm up for it.

On holiday from tomorrow for 2.5 weeks so will only be back the Friday before.

I'll probably be 2 stone heavier (off to the states) so may be a walk at the back for me (no change there then eh 🙄 )

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Enjoy the states. Have some jelly for breakfast for me 😉

Thats 2 of us out for a walk/ride then…

hora
    Free Member

Whoop Whoop! (translated means I'm in).

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think there should be a few out , graham and I will there and Lowey said he was up for it too

mart

philfive
    Free Member

Hopefully I will attend

neil853
    Free Member

I will be there, probably with chucky 8)

binners

Sounds good to me

ton

DBW………..i was gonna mail you tonight re this.
    are you up for leading this mate?………..local knowledge is ace.

i am in by the way……… 8)

gingerflash

That's the same day as the Mary Townley event so you might want to avoid any trails that are part of the MTL.

Cooroo
    Free Member

Also same day as Bronte Mountain Bike Challenge out of Oxenhope. Could be busy out there. StuE and I would join up for STW ride, but think I'll be more comfortable at own pace on the Bronte one.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Whats the MT event? Some of the ride would be on the MT loop…

Maybe (dependent on rider numbers) do something away from the rammed trails of Hebden etc that weekend and nearer the Halifax end of the valley?

Tony – yes, still happy to guide something…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

PS, Tony, if you don't mail me later, I'll drop you a note anyway in case this 'big' ride needs to turn into a smaller 'covert' ride, wink, wink, cheeky Halifax trails, wink.

lowey

I'm in

(the cafe for the duration).

:p

clareymorris

Me, Tom, GavGas, Rolymo and possibly Annie – (well, a van full at least) at a guess 😀

hp_source

I'll be there too. Cheers

Any ideas as to starting/parking spot yet?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Not sure yet – whats this MT loop event as that could cause problems? Or can it? I guess they're not closing off the MT loop just for this and we're not on it for massive parts…

D0NK

probly

hp_source

not much info on closures etc, but here's a linky….

http://www.rpmrt.org.uk/eventdetail.php?EventID=5

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yeh, just read that. Nothing at all on closures.

I'll do a bit more digging and if need be, arrange an alternative route.

Dave
    Free Member

Can you keep in mind that leading a large group down cheeky stuff on a weekend may cause problems. Ta :o)

stumpyjon

Should be no problem as long as you avoid the first stretch (depending on which direction they're going this year that would either be up to Cowpe Low and down Rooley Moor road or the climb upt to Deerplay from Waterfoot) when the riders set off. 200 riders can cause quite a tailback. Other than that there should be no problems (I've ridden the event for the last 3 years and passed plenty of riders not taking part, it's a challenge using public bridleways, they won't be closed).

andycs

Is this an open invite? If so, count me in. E-mail details please.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

it'll be worth riding to see what Ton is selling next 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Gimme some credit Dave… who do you think I am, SFB?! My cheeky stuff is reserved for much smaller groups 😉

The ride will be 100% legit so will probably miss off Birthday X and maybe even climb back up the north side of the valley and end on Blue Pig or something of that ilk…

Ride will be open to all…

jamievosper
    Free Member

think i might try an make this one

Kahurangi

*bump*

I'll be able to make it 8)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Righto.

WHEN: 19th September @ 10am for a prompt(ish) start
    WHERE: Hebden Bridge Town Square
    HOW LONG? No idea. Have a look at the route plan. Depends on mechanicals etc but I'd guess it'll be a good 5 hours+ at a sedate pace with plenty of stops
    WHERE WE GOING DAVE? From HB, up to Jack Bridge and then on to Egypt. From there, over the dam at Lower Gorple Res, short road stretch to Widdop and up the climb onto the Gorple Road. Drop down there and into the sheep track into the back of Cant Clough Res. Through that mad little valley with the flowers to Long Causeway. Road stretch and into the BW to Whirlaw Stones. Descent from there towards Tod, quick short cut through the Golf Course and then onto the fast BW down to Eastwood. Then from there we can decide what we want to do… either climb back up that side of the valley, loop around and do one of the descents around Heptonstall, probably Blue Pig from the large group/legal point of view or climb up to Mankinholes and do a descent from the London Road into Hebden.
    WHAT SHALL I BRING? Prepare for the worst! The route is VERY exposed on the tops with very little option for an easy bail out so once you're up there, you're staying there! Not really any food stop options en-route either so bring grub with you.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh, and if its absolutely lashing it down, I'll be staying at home where its warm. Yes, I'm a fanny but I've done that ride enough times in horrific conditions to know its not fun!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Apparently i am going too 🙄

horrific conditions

sounds intresting[ 😛

grumm
    Free Member

So is there any way I could do part of this ride then duck out? Not sure I can manage the full thing yet (still recovering from illness).

RustySpanner

Coincidently, I'm leading a beginners ride for our climbing club round Calderdale on the same day – small world/big valley eh?

We're meeting at the big car park in Heptonstall (the one next to the Social Club) and setting off about 10.30.

Not sure how many people are turning up, last time it was just myself and six ladies (I never knew rainbow striped thongs & frilly purple knickers were acceptable bike wear 😀 ), but no idea how many, if any will turn up this time.

Not sure on the route yet (will stick a post up for advice later), but if you see a little fat bloke on a red Rock Lobster 853, please say hello as you go past!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

grum – once we leave Hebden and head up towards Widdop then the only chance to turn back is before we get up to Widdop. From there you could pootle down the road back to HB. Once past the Widdop climb then its not too difficult (ie, mostly downhill) all the back into the valley. From there, take the canal back to HB – we'll probably do one more climb out the valley for some descent credits at the end of the ride…

Rusty Spanner – thongs and knickers? That sounds mint. Sod the rest of you, I'm off out with you guys!

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks for that Dave, should be ok I hope. Don't suppose you have a GPX of the route?

RustySpanner

I had to ride at the back, it was the responsible thing to do 😀

Sorry for the hijack, but can any of you help with this?

Any suggestions welcome, I'm struggling to put together a decent alternative beginner friendly route.

I'll ask the chaps in Blazing Saddles this week as well, they're bound to come up with something.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I don't grum but I'm sure someone must. I can scribble on a google map when I get a chance?

Rusty – will reply to your thread…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder
    Just for info, there's a minor diversion in place to re-route you before the dam wall at Widdop. Turn off the road immediately before the temporary barriers around the site.
    This might all be obvious in daylight anyway but it came as a surprise to us in the dark last night when we came to the dam wall and found it blocked off. [Queue minor backtracking to find diversion]

Coincidentally, we did the majority of your route last night, starting from Worsthorne and cutting back after Wirlaw to pick up Dukes Cut to Egypt.
    All trails in good condition. The only nasty bit is the uncompacted loose stone of the diversion around Widdop.
    Enjoy 😀

grumm
    Free Member

I can scribble on a google map when I get a chance?

Aye that would be good if you get a chance but don't worry if not.

lowey

Hmmm, what is it about Calderdale rides. Turns out I'm on the piss with free beer the day before. Same last year.

I will hope to be there, but hangover commitments may just make it impossible.

woody2000

Dave – could sort something out round my end if you like? Much, much less likely to bump into anyone 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘STW Northern Chapter Ride – 19th September – Calderdale Classic’ is closed to new replies.