Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • STW musicians – BBC Virtual Orchestra
  • aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think we’ve done this one (if we have it’s not my fault, I did search!) Anybody else thinking about taking part in the BBC Virtual Orchestra?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03m1dpm

I’ll definitely be submitting an entry – reached grade 6 on trumpet in my teens and whilst I had a gap of 20 years without really playing I’m probably not too far off that level now I’m playing a bit again (mini aracer is learning the cornet and as he’s learning with somebody else quite often gets duets so I join in with him – he’s just done grade 3 – though I’m also looking to get involved with some jazz/funk bands). Apparently advanced for them is grade 4-5, and TBH I can pretty much sight read it. It also helps that the arrangement has a strong trumpet part – not sure how it works for other instruments?

So who else plays an instrument, orchestral or otherwise, and to what level?

aracer
    Free Member

Bump for the daytime musicians – I can’t be the only one

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think I’m a grade 6 flautist.

Can still play stuff from memory but never really nailled site reading

slowoldman

Well I’ve been thinking about (oboist here), not sure if I’ll get on with it though.

aracer
    Free Member

Not much interest at the time, but thought I’d mention that I made it in – the trumpet player at the top at about 1:17
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p046jg6s/get-playing-7-get-playing-virtual-orchestra

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah heard about this a few months back. Never looked into properly though. Good stuff for getting back involved. Think that there’s a few musicians on here, not sure how many have a classical background though. I trained as a classical guitarist….. Did a master’s in music etc. Play/teach electric guitar and bass for a living now.

SaxonRider

Grade 8 flute here, and played baritone sax in a jazz band for 6 years, but missed the original thread, and wasn’t aware of the programme.

Well done, though, aracer!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘STW musicians – BBC Virtual Orchestra’ is closed to new replies.