Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • STW Doctors? Cycling with Achilles Tendonitis?
  • ads678

Just been to the doctors but forgot to ask him if cycling is good, bad, or neither her nor there….

I’ve had Achilles tendonitis for about a week and a half now, but am going on holiday next Thursday and was plannnig some road riding in the Pyrenees. My brother in law has been off the bike for a few months so it was never going to be too hardcore but should I even bother taking my bike?

Stainypants

I has really bad Achilles last year and it completely stopped my running for six months but it did stop me biking at all.

jam-bo

i currently have a sore achilles. running is an issue, but I can barely feel it on the bike.

ads678

Yeah I can barely walk at the moment, it is easing off though, so hopefully be ok for my hols. Just don’t want to do any more damage.

I think I’ve ridden when I’ve had it before, but it’s worse this time. Bastard flip flops!!

Stainypants

@ads678 I did mine after a shoulder op I couldn’t run so I starting walking up to 50 miles a week for a few weeks and it knackered them. Try all the stretching stuff which you’ll know but it just didn’t work for me even with a really good physio. I the found out my local physio did shockwave therapy where they hit the tendon 1000,s of times over a few minutes and it damages the tendon but brings blood flow to it. After 6 months getting nowhere it was fixed after 1 month and 4 sessions.

I know what you mean about flip flops no more Gazelles or Converse for me. All my casual trainers are now restricted for use when I don’t have to walk anywhere.

docrobster
    Free Member

I’ve had chronic Achilles tendinitis for years. Doesn’t stop me riding a bike at all. Sometimes stops me walking down stairs in a morning mind. I don’t try running any more.
    Whether cycling contributes to getting it in the first place is another question… my calves are so tight…

ads678

Cool, sounds like riding should be ok then. I’ll take my bike.

I certainly can’t run on it, and won’t be doing for a while. Which is a bummer as I want to start running again after about 6 months off. I also have have tight, shirt calves which is probably the problem.

lunge

You’ll be fine. I regularly have it from running and cycling doesn’t irritate it at all

Dickyboy

Another sufferer for years here, cycling never caused it any problems.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’ve had chronic Achilles tendinitis for years. Doesn’t stop me riding a bike at all. Sometimes stops me walking down stairs in a morning mind. I don’t try running any more.
    Whether cycling contributes to getting it in the first place is another question… my calves are so tight…

This describes me to a tee – I was hoping someone was about to post a miraculous remedy 🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Went from Middlesbrough to Sunderland today with my achilles issues.The odd minor twinge but no real problems.On the other hand Northern Rail……grrrrrr.

sprootlet
    Free Member

If you’ve only had it a really short while then get started on isometric exercises for gastroc and soleus. They can be really helpful at improving pain levels

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.