• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • STW docs: persistent knee "click"
  • willard

I like running. Well, I don’t really, but I’ve got into it heavily because I like the idea of being able to run into and away from trouble quicker than the other guy.

Anyway, I digress… I was out last night doing a nice comfortable 6 mile trot round the village and I noticed after I’d finished that my right knee had a click to it at almost full straightness on both extension and bringing back in. I’d not noticed it before. There was no immediate pain and I can still run on it now, even if there is a bit more of n ache to it than there was last night. Nor has the click gone away.

I hate going to the doctors and with something like this, if it makes its way onto my records, then the Army will find a way to downgrade me and that will be a big downer. In the finest traditions of STW, I thought I would throw it open to the untrained masses for diagnosis.

Is it a torn meniscus? Random other torn cartilige? Bits of martian rock floating around in my knee? Cat AIDs? Can it be fixed by just MingTFU and going for a run?

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

I had a similar click a couple of years ago.
    Meniscus tear for me, had to get it slices off as it kept flaring up.

I think the noise is the joint fluid squirting its way around the nooks and crannies, if I remember correctly.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

double post

MrGreedy

No medical qualifications, but it might well be nothing. I’ve had various clicks in my knees for years, off and on, with no ill effects or knee pain. I can also crack my knuckles, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with them either.

andrewni
    Free Member

I’ve had a click in my left knee for years, only when i crawl (which i gave up many years ago!) and when i cycle. causes no pain so I never bothered doing anything about it. I can vouch for the acoustic qualities of race face knee pads as they amplify it quite considerably 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

If it doesn’t hurt, then just ignore it.*

*I am not a doctor.

woody2000

How old are you willard? My 41yr old knees (right is worse) grind and click a lot, but have no pain apart from the odd ache. My OH is a physio, and says basically it’s just age related wear and tear and if it doesn’t hurt or cause any problems, then not to worry.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

On the other hand I have a click in my left knee and it can be bloody agony at times (ie driving small cars). Been to the doc and just waiting for results from an x-ray.

glupton1976
    Free Member

If it doesnt hurt dont let it bother you. I am of the opinion that if you havent got creaking joints by your mid 30s you havent been living hard enough.

shakers
    Free Member

I went to the doc about a dodgy knee and mentioned the click. She said that it’s perfectly normal and don’t worry about it, the click that is.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    If it doesn’t hurt, then just ignore it.*

*I am not a doctor.

shakers – Member
    I went to the doc about a dodgy knee and mentioned the click. She said that it’s perfectly normal and don’t worry about it, the click that is.

What these guys say. Mine started doing the same a few years ago, looked it up on the internet and the conclusion was what Jamie and shakers have said.

shakers
    Free Member

I’m just passing on my story. I’m not a doc you might want to get it checked anyway but I wouldn’t worry in the meantime

john_drummer
    Free Member

mrs_d had some problems with her knee recently.

GP said “probably arthritis”.

X-ray didn’t show anything up.

Physio examined it, one of the muscles that pulls the patella from left to right was weaker than it should have been, so the opposite muscle was pulling it too far, meaning it was rubbing on the femur and/or tibia. several lots of exercise on said muscles later, it is improving, to the extent that she has been signed off from the physio, under instructions to keep it up.

Duggan

I believe clicking knees are quite common. So it could be nothing. Then again, it could still be something.

If it was me I would ignore it until it started hurting at least, which might be never.

DT78
    Free Member

Try rolling and stretching your ITB. My knees clicks are caused by tracking problems brought on by a tight ITB. Stretching morning and night makes it go away.

If in doubt go and see a decent osteo / physio who are keen cyclists.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘STW docs: persistent knee "click"’ is closed to new replies.