Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • STW DIY – raised decking/bike storage
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

Hi, for my next project (only a dozen half finished ones on the go at the moment ) I’m fixing up raised decking from scratch

It’ll be about 4 ft high and couple of possibly 10ft x 10ft area

Obviously as an MTB nerd I’m alive to the bike storage possibilities this may offer

Has anyone done this? And if so please a extensively detailed photo step by step would be very nice 👍

I’m imagining the main problem would be drainage of water through the deck boards

I’d probably be using old deck boards and rough sawn timber. This could solve my bike storage needs in one fell swoop and free up space in the shed, possibly saving my marriage AND bolstering a future case for N+1

lve got time but minimal budget so I can’t just stick a £500 Asgard shed in there (although have thought of it)

5lab

I think you need planning permission if it’s that high, and I’d be very surprised if the project came in under 500, theres a lot of timber in a frame.. nice idea thou. Old deck boards are probably rotten, youd need to spend a lot of time treating the wood if you dont get pretreated

submarined
    Free Member

Yup, over 30cm off the ground needs planning permission I’m afraid 🙁
    https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/11/decking

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not a great idea.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Thanks, didn’t know that. I’ve never had decking before

I actually removed the raised decking when we moved in as it was rotten, and only hammered in posts:

It’s unlikely the previous owners had PP but I’ll check

Ewan
    Free Member

If it’s been there a while it may not need permission anymore if no one has complained.

The Four Year Rule Explained: Certificate of Lawfulness Application for Existing Use or Development [2020 Update]

I guess you could argue if you’re replacing like for like, you’re maintaining it…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Is that a doorway to the right? If so that potentially changes things somewhat. I have a decking step to my back door as it lies directly over the gas main, when I asked the building officer about it he said to batter in so long as it conformed to building regs (step height, minimum landing size, railings etc). No planning sought as we were building an extension under permitted development.(Scotland)

Personally I’d forget about putting bikes in there but I would make the space accessible as there are all manner of things you can shove in tough crates. I’m planning on doing exactly that at some point.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘STW DIY – raised decking/bike storage’ is closed to new replies.