Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 3,879 total)
  • STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

duckman

In glencoe, so better thing to do than all dayer watching Scotland get pasted then the English make up reasons why they lost the 6n, see above ref for example.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’ll miss Walsh TBH. Even though England always seemed to be on the wrong side of him.

“But one thing stuck out beyond all others. Well though the three of them (Irish back row) played, they were no match for Steve Walsh. The tan, the arms, the demeanour, the chatty style, the mad new TMO rules he invented on the spot. It’s Walsh’s world, the rest of us just live in it.”

anagallis_arvensis

Raises some good points this. Barnes certainly was more relaxed with the welsh players, they didnt berate him like the irish did. It was sumilar when Walsh reffed the wales england 30-3 game. Wales seem good at being respectful to refs and it gets them onside. England and ireland seem to pressure refs more.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, plenty of video analysis out there showing Barnes making what looked like poor decisions, but I certainly wasn’t going to post them. 🙂 I think Ireland suffered a little having had him ref them against France – perhaps he’d had enough of them whinging at him. They didn’t adjust properly to his decisions in the first half, overreacted if anything – and seemed to stop contesting the ruck as much as they had been previously. Having said that, they should have turned possession and pressure into points and they didn’t. Despite having some bizarre decisions against them towards the end of the game, (EDIT: and Sexton having sent his evil twin to play) they were still only a score behind at full time. Disappointing, yes. End of the world, nah. Sour grapes, certainly not. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

think Ireland suffered a little having had him ref them against France – perhaps he’d had enough of them whinging at him. They didn’t adjust properly to his decisions in the first half, overreacted if anything – and seemed to stop contesting the ruck as much as they had been previously.

Not sure, I thought he was pretty fair and consistent. Warburtons yellow seemed harsh as Ireland had been pinged a lot already. What was odd was that both teams were not getting what their analysts and coaches had prepated them for. The difference was that Wales adapted quickly, rolled away more and didnt contest defensive rucks much. Ireland got stroppy and didnt adapt as quickly. Right from the fist play you can see SOB getting frustrated and beratting the ref. Same as in the play with the Davies hand off. Compare that to Warburton who still managed to ask a polite question when getting his yellow card.

anagallis_arvensis

4 mins into the game and told to “be quiet”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well that settles it then. Bonus points for politeness. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IEuXfewLcuY

Have a look at this. Too much to discuss, but the intial one sexto jumps into the ruck in contact with no one but in all the others players go off their feet in contact. A clear difference between the two. But check out the irish player not getting the ref on side.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On a phone at work now, so can’t check out links I’m afraid. I’m sure it shows an Ireland player not playing the ref properly as you say. And as I said, we either need to deduct points for whinging or award bonuses for politeness. That would get rid of this sort of thing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So any brave predictions for the consolation prize of top of the table by end of play today?

England for me, Wales second after a 30+ victory against Italy with Ireland scraping third after either a tense 2 or 3 point victory or a performance to mirror the Choker in Croker. 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Irelands to lose. 2 pts diff and playing the bottom team. Should have it sewn up.
    Wales and england? Gawd knows.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Irelands to lose.

🙂

Hence my pessimistic outlook.

wrecker
    Free Member

sorry for the kiss of death!
    They should do it though. Their backs will be up after the beating from the Welsh too.

Kryton57

Ireland to win the championship, Wales second and England relegated to third after losing to France by 5. Kryton to bang head on wall after listening to Lamcaster talking about “taking the positives away from the game and into the World Cup”.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Italy 10 Wales 32

Scotland 12 Ireland 26

England 23 France 9

loum
    Free Member

All the bookies have England as clear favourites for the title.

It makes sense as they have –
    the points on the board,
    the home game,
    and the last fixture of the day.

So at least in the bookies’ eyes, it’s England’s to lose really.

For me though, Wales look to be the bet of the day. Were still available at 8/1 for the title last night. And IMO, there’s no way they’re that far off the other two’s chances, they could easily put a cricket score on a poor Italy side who consistently finish badly.

Funny that so many English seem to want or need to cling to a false underdogs tag. Interesting mindset for a home World Cup year, IMO.
    For years, it was Ireland that always needed to be underdogs to play their best stuff. Quite happy that they now seem to be learning to cope with the expectation of being a top team.
    Didn’t work out last week against a very good Wales performance, but they’ll move on and try to execute the skills a little more accurately against a good Scottish side this week.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Funny that so many English seem to want or need to cling to a false underdogs tag. Interesting mindset for a home World Cup year, IMO.

Or trying not to be arrogant as some like to accuse them of?

loum
    Free Member

True, I agree.
    There’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance.
    Not sure they’re comfortable with it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You have to believe you can win the WC – I assume NZ, AUS, SA, ENG, FRA, WAL, IRE all do. How you say publicly that you have that belief without appearing arrogant I’m not sure, especially when its England 🙂

Kryton57

For me personally, I beieve England have a powerful game and finally have a back line which is not in disarrey and have found several star players.

But, they don’t have the wining ability of say, the AB’s. Teams have worked out there game up front, have been a bit surprised about the ability at the back in the 6N but hey aren’t making teams worry about losing. They need confidence and time on the ball through a winning streak IMO now, but they don’t have it.

Can’t see SA or the AB’s being too worried about them unless they allow themselves to be sucked into England’s game plan. And even then…

thegreatape
    Free Member

They’re almost becoming a bit French in their ‘ability’ to leave their heads in bed instead of bringing them to the game with them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Phew, some quality finally after 20 mins. Good try Wales.

(Who is the pundit with the dull bokka voice?)

Stoner
    Free Member

tittish thing for 1/2p to do. He’s going to be sore for a while.

“Cheek to Cheek”
    “Ring of steel”
    “Tower of power”.

not taught to kids just because they rhyme …

anagallis_arvensis

Ref stood watching Castro binding on the arm and pings rob evans! Its no wonder scrums are such a mess with such inconsistent refs.

Stoner
    Free Member

ach, the Italian pack have earned the “bias”. Ive said all month that I reckon the Italian pack will embarrass Wales. ANd I was expecting parisse to be doing it and hes not even on the pitch.

anagallis_arvensis

Have you really? Did you know we would lose at least 4 props to injury. Who are you mystic meg?

Stoner
    Free Member

check out my balls.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Who is the commentator and why is he so retarded that he can’t discern the difference between George North and Liam Williams?

Last week Eddie Butler couldn’t cope with the fact that North was playing on the right either and kept mixing the two up – and now this numpty.

For the BBC Welsh Wingers Recognition Chart:

George North: Big lunk and all round hero.

Liam Williams: Long streak of piss with a nasty attitude.

If that fails, try reading the numbers on their backs and matching them with the team sheet…..

IdleJon

ref stood watching Castro binding on the arm and pings rob evans! Its no wonder scrums are such a mess with such inconsistent refs.

Ha, I was ranting about the same. This was after Castro bored in on Evans and Evans collapsed. 2 illegal moves by Castro give Italy the penalty. The ref is confirming my hatred of the morons who spoil games. Wales can do that without any help or hindrance!

Who is the pundit with the dull bokka voice?)

Carlo del Fava?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Andy Nicol as upbeat as ever, bless him!

Why all the Irish pessimism? They have to be fav’s……

namastebuzz
    Free Member

2 illegal moves by Castro give Italy the penalty.

“It’s only illegal if you get caught.”

(Brian Moore)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ireland are favourites to win it though they should kick themselves for losing in Cardiff after such a dominant performance against England. If England nick it there shouldn’t be much celebrating as with the RWC coming they need to improve some more from here.

@Kryton, nice choice. I gave up my tickets too, will watch in Paris on TV. Expecting a dull low scoring game ending in an Engkand victory and second place in the Championship,

anagallis_arvensis

Jarvis binding on the arm now.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Any dropped passes and try butchering yet! Is the “English” disease contagious ? 😉

“Someone with shaggy hair” it really is the c team with the commentators.

‘Kin ell who is the muppet with hands in the ruck there?

rascal
    Free Member

Cymru Am Byth!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Getting exciting now!

anagallis_arvensis

North failing to deliver still.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

North failing to deliver still.

Agreed.

He should have at least four……

rascal
    Free Member

Bet the teams in white and green are getting very nervous now!
    This is genuinely exciting and I’m fooking loving it – more Welsh tries please! 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 3,879 total)

The topic ‘STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.