Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Stupid chainring Question
  • coopersport1
    Free Member

Right Got myself a nice set of those new Middleburn cranks and now just scouring for rings. Middleburn obviously, I know they're heavy in comparison but I've never had any probs with them on my other bike and they last well.

Anyway standard rings are 22/32/44 would I have any probs going 24/32/46? or 24/34/46? Going on my orange 5. Anyone know if I'll have clearance issues? or mech issues?
    HArdly ever use the granny so a slightly bigger cog there makes sense and would welcome some more top end for when the hammer is down!

RealMan
    Free Member

No, should be fine. Although I've always found middleburn chainrings chain suck way too much. I think they'd be fine for middle and outer, but I'd go deore for the inner.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Should be OK :

The new Five model has been designed specifically around SPV/CVT shocks which have allowed us to use a lower more active pivot position. The new rear swingarm has been designed around a standard compact drive crankset i.e. 22/32/44 with a limit of a 32 tooth middle chainring, if you use a ring larger than this then it is possible it may touch the swingarm or catch as you downshift to the granny ring.

The chainline is setup for a standard Shimano 50mm size ( Please consult your dealer or Shimano if you are unsure as to what this refers to), this is the chainline dimension now used by Shimano with the new Hollowtech II integrated BB XT (FCM760) and XTR (FCM960) chainsets, for optimal HyperGlide performance. For Deore FCM445 an ES51 126mm is the recommended size for correct chainline.

We do not have the BB lengths for other chainset/BB combinations, please check with your dealer or chainset manufacturer as to the size of BB they recommend which will maintain a 50mm Shimano chainline.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Stupid chainring Question’ is closed to new replies.