• This topic has 33 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nemo.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Let's talk about colonoscopies!
  • Kit
    Free Member

We all like to talk shit on here… So who's had one then? The info leaflet I got given at the hospital today mentions "…laxative prescribed…", so I'm guessing I'll be experiencing the Picolax effects! I also got sent away with two vials for, ahem, samples to hand into the GP.

I'm so glad its (so far) just my bowel though (Crohn's disease) and not anything higher up. The thought of a gastroscopy scares the bejesus out of me!

wwaswas

"The thought of a gastroscopy scares the bejesus out of me!"

just make sure they do the gastroscopy before the coloscopy (or at least give the tubing a bit of a wipe in between times).

elaineanne
    Free Member

you have to take a thick solution drink (two bottles of it… (its the worst ever and makes you throw up….sorry but its horrible is the drink… but your insides have to be very 'clear' b4 the colonoscopy can be done… urg..not good..

jeff

Does the leaftlet mention the enema?

EDIT – and if you've not had the probe, I assume that Crohns is not a definite diagnosis.

nonk
    Free Member

its not that bad i have had both done and to be honest you will be so off your face for the colonoscopy that you wont give a toss.
    the other one is less of a laugh but once you get into it its ok.

grynch
    Free Member

it was the doc saying "now swallow" that got me about the gastroscopy
    the colonoscopy.. as some else said.. I was so drugged up anything could have happene.d

samuri
    Free Member

the colonoscopy.. as some else said.. I was so drugged up anything could have happene.d

It seems a bit unfair that you are so drugged up you can't enjoy it.

theotherjonv

and probably did…..

Med students, what a wacky bunch.

grynch
    Free Member

actually.. just before I had a colonoscopy and just before I faded.. the doc pulled back the curtain surrounding the exam room.. there stood 15 or so med students and the doc asked…"mind if they watch"

I wasn't in a position to refuse.

takisawa2

Had a good few Colonoscopies, (Bowel cancer runs rife in Mums family).
    As said, your well out of it but do get some pains from the air they use to inflate you. Can remember feeling that through the anaesthetic a couple of times. Worst bit, by far, is the Pico-lax. Seriously though, all joking aside, don't underestimate the stuff; make sure your close to a loo. And ask for the non-flavoured stuff, the orange one they sometimes have made me vomit badly. The words "now tuck your knees up into your tummy" give me the shivers.

ski
    Free Member

Kit – I had a Colonoscopy just after xmas (Crohn's disease).

Good chance it will be STW drug of choice, Picolax, yes its is fast working, and it will clear you out, but as long as you are prepared for it, Its not that bad 😉

They might offer you a slight sedative, before the procedure, will make the whole process less uncomfortable for you. The whole process lasted no more than 30 min, felt more like 5 min with the sedative for me and was in and out of hospital in an afternoon.

Compared to my local GP's examinations it was a breeze 😉

ski
    Free Member

The worst bit for me was the huge wide-screen TV stuck right in front of my nose for the whole procedure 😉

pjd
    Free Member

took the picolax well over 2 hours to work on me, was beginning to think I was immune, then uh oh, maybe not!

insides were VERY clean though

though never got any drugs, but it was a sigmoidoscopy (sp?) i had, found it quite uncomfortable

Kit
    Free Member

I've already been into hospital for a sigmoidoscopy and a biopsy under general anaesthetic. Although not conclusive, the suspicion is that its Crohn's. I've been given an information thing for infliximab today.

The nurse who did my blood work today told me to take the day off work before the colonoscopy, I guess to take the picolax!

MikeG

I'm due one soon, I've got ulcerative colitis and have been having a flare up for the last 6 months which wont go, saw the consultant last week who stuck me on another massive course of steroids and immunosuppressants. After telling me how rubbish I was likely to feel for the next few weeks he said that as soon as I showed some improvement I would be in for one. He also mentioned picolax 🙁

Good luck, hope you start feeling better soon.

Karinofnine

I had one, don't worry, it's perfectly fine – just a bit embarrassing. You can't feel anything, you won't sh*t yourself, because there won't be any sh*t left in you and they give you a sedative so you don't care if your ar*e is sticking out of the back of a paper nightie. They asked me if I wanted to watch it on tv and I said NO I do not, thank you very much.

I had Movicol (I think) and oh boy, did it!

It was much nicer than the time I had abnormal cells on my cervix, they wanted a larger sample than just a regular smear test. The woman doing clearly enjoyed her work (I am squeamish) and, having put my feet in the stirrups, asked if I wanted to watch it on telly. (NO NO NO, I do not thank you and if you show me anything I will be sick, and that includes whatever instruments you are coming at me with)

Kit
    Free Member

Although I'm squeemish, I think I'd be happy to watch it! I wanted to see the ultrasound screen when they examined me for testicular cancer, but I was facing the wrong way 🙁 And I've had enough doctors asking to have a look that I've no problem getting my arse out on display anymore…

MikeG – hope things improve soon. Mine isn't too bad really, my main complaint is sore lumps on me cheeks. Not great for riding!

ski
    Free Member

You might be able to get away without an extra day off work, depending on what time they are dealing with you the next day?

I took my first Picolax at 7pm ish the night before, then first thing in the morning for a 2pm appointment.

The 2nd dose is not as bad as the 1st.

Good luck Kit, btw

allthepies
    Free Member

Just don't push back.

project
    Free Member

Had Picolax twice now for 2 barium ennemas, and also a camera down my throat at a different time, none hurt.

Firsly the picolax is a bit like drinking sand, a bit grittty, and weird tasting,wear a trackie bottom or pair of shorts, as when the urge comes its not the head of a turtle,but a flood of ginormous proportions,then just dirty water for some reason,this may reqire a repeat run to the toilet a few minutes latter.

Next day you usually take the next Picolax and the same thing happens.

No pain,but you cant eat anything.

As for the Colonoscopy i refused as i felt better,and nothing showed up on the barium enemas thankfully.

Hope everything turns out ok for you.

solarider
    Free Member

It doesn't hurt a bit. The thought is far worse than the reality, and fingers crosed for you that the result is just as unconcerning.

But the Picolax sure is fun. Like pjd, I was beginning to doubt its effect. But suddenly, it becomes very effective! Under no circumstances find yourself further than a few feet away from the toilet once you have taken it. You get no warning, but 'once you pop, you just can't stop'. Couldn't stop laughing at the array of sounds, smells and texture of what came out. I guess I never really have grown up!

mushrooms
    Free Member

I have a similar infection and went through the same process.
    I found the picolax not to bad overall but the guy with the camera wasn't too gentle with me and it was pretty uncomfortable. 😀

lowey

Good luck mate.

Kit
    Free Member

but the guy with the camera wasn't too gentle with me and it was pretty uncomfortable.

And that was before he put the camera in! ba-doom tish 😉

Good luck mate.

Cheers lowey. I might see if I can get a photo of the TV for my Photo A Day 🙂

sor
    Free Member

I had Klean-Prep rather than Picolax. Allegedly vanilla flavoured but it was the most vile tasting stuff I have ever put in my mouth. I was still drinking the second 2-litre dose on the morning of the appointment (the first dose was the evening before) while sitting on the toilet spraying it back out! And so my advice would be to take the laxatives with plenty time to spare – every time I thought I must be finished I'd fart and jettison yet another load out. They pump air in during the colonoscopy that gives some nasty trapped wind and I kept that firmly clenched in until I was safely sat on the pan again.

I was sedated from the upper endoscopy I was also getting so none of it was painful, it was just odd feeling and over quickly. I'd reassure anybody getting the procedure that it's not something that needs worried about.

roach

Can you lot describe some of your symptoms for the conditions that require these procedures? Been having some probs down there for some time… Constipation, discomfort, bloating etc.

KT1973
    Free Member

My mate got one once. Says he swears he could feel both of the docs hands on his shoulders while he was shoving it in??

rOcKeTdOg

i had picolax, mmm warm gritty orange stuff, they say drink plenty but watch it as drink too much and it literally goes right through you! i watched my barium enema on the screen, the air they blow you up with is very uncomfortable and next time you take a dump it's white like dog turds used to be!, never had a colonoscopy but having seen quite a few crohns bowel specimens i'd get it done, horrible disease

sor
    Free Member

Roach – none of your symptoms for me so can't/won't suggest anything except talk to your GP. I had severe anaemia (less than half the usual haemoglobin count) but with no visible blood loss. Quite sensibly the docs wanted to have a good look-see to find the cause.

Kit
    Free Member

roach:

For general info have a look,

http://www.nacc.org.uk/content/ibd.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn's_disease
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammatory_bowel_disease

My symptoms though are lumps on me arse cheeks (nice!) although now getting bowel discomfort (needing the loo often, increased flatulence).

Go see your doc!

Rio

Mrs Rio has had a couple of colonoscopies recently, she's had Moviprep and Picolax. Picolax didn't seem to be too bad, she just lay on the floor outside the bathroom popping in periodically until it had done its stuff, and I'd forewarned her by showing her the famous thread on here. Moviprep is apparently like drinking a litre of wallpaper paste. Her advice – if you have Moviprep it's best to be sitting on the toilet ready when you drink it… 😯

nemo
    Free Member

Okay, a bit sad, but never mind: “the famous thread”. I read that years ago and it was hilarious! I always regretted not printing it out. My google-fu isn’t great, and looking for it online tonight led me to this thread. I don’t suppose anyone knows where I could find a link or archive site? Thank you.

nemo
    Free Member

Oh, thank you! I was just coming back to clarify that I have nothing but sympathy for anyone having to undergo a colonoscopy, but that that particular story was just so well written… masterly stuff. Thanks again.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Let's talk about colonoscopies!’ is closed to new replies.