Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stupid 12 speed questions
  • teethgrinder

Not running Eagle yet, but in the spirit of not wanting to spend a fortune, I have the following to ask of the hive mind:

Can GX Eagle shifter guts be transplanted into an 11 speed XX1 shifter? If not, is the E13 12 speed kit available without the cassette?

Can an XX1 mech cope with 50t max sprocket (fyi, it works great with a Hope 10-48t cassette)?

Guess there’s nowt better than the GX cassette?

Poopscoop

Could go full NX for not a lot of cash and no hassle?

teethgrinder

Ahahahahaha.
    No.

Not on an HB160. I want shiny for little cash. As I spent it all on the bike.

Poopscoop

So cash isn’t an issue, I’m confused??😊

teethgrinder

I want to have good quality kit and reuse what i have where possible to save baby penguins faces. I also have a spare Pro4 XD driver, but not a Shimano one, so NX is out.

And to be fair to me, I did say “stupid questions”.

Poopscoop

Lol, ok,I see mate.👍

Onzadog
    Free Member

Seems like a lot of effort for two teeth and one cog. What’s actually worn/broken/under performing?

teethgrinder

At the minute, nothing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Might be a statement of the obvious, but are you aware that the cassette halves can be had for not too much money if that’s what does go first.

I’ve been trying to convince myself to go 12 speed but can’t see any reason to move away from my Hope cassette.

teethgrinder

Aye. On my second alloy part as of today. If they did a steel replacement it would be perfect.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought the same thing. I could use the steel big half in winter and swap back to the alu in the summer.

pickle
    Free Member

Go full GX groupset for about £300, great quality and upgrade in the future.

transition1
    Free Member

I got cheap XX1 shifter off eBay & run it with GX cassette & Sunrace 12 speed rear derailleur & KMC chain. No issues

andybrad

I have 12speed gx.

Stick with what you’ve got imo

johnw1984
    Free Member

If you’ve already got a 10-48 hope cassette, I honestly wouldn’t bother.

I’ve got Eagle on my Spark and thought I’d really notice having the 50t (previously only ever had max 42t on rear). It’s nice when your legs are tired and you just want a gentle gear to grind up a climb, but not life changing.

Went back to 11 speed (10-42 Sram X0) on my hard tail today and didn’t miss the 50t, even on some steep climbs.

If I was building from scratch now, I’d stick with 11 speed if it was significantly cheaper and get a wider range cassette. I’d consider a wider range cassette for my RC529, but can’t be arsed getting a new freehub to go along with a new cassette 🙂

nickfrog
    Free Member

What are you running at the front OP ? Would changing the ring solve the problem, not that I understand what the issue or the o negative is lol.

teethgrinder

30t oval up front.
    TBH, it’s not about how easy the low gear is., Probably a case of “12 is 1 more than 11”.

vincienup
    Free Member

If I were really desperate to go XD Eagle for as little cash as possible, I’d probably be considering GX cassette and maybe RD and X01 shifter. The X01 shifter is so much nicer than everything below it it’s untrue, and as always, the shifter is where control comes from. There’s really not much performance difference between the GX and X01 RD’s although the cost is noticeable. The cassettes are quite different, price and weight wise. You might well find yourself wanting to go up to a 32t once you’ve done it though.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a pretty full run down on the various Eagle options here SRAM Eagle review, the best bang for buck seems to be GX with the X01 derailleur.

teethgrinder

Happy with the Hope 10-48 so far, but the plan (if I can find bits cheap enough) is looking like GX cassette, XO1 shifter and Garbaruk mech cage to give the XX1 mech 50t capacity. Should work as both 11 and 12 speed are X-actuation.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stupid 12 speed questions’ is closed to new replies.