Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Stuff you didn’t realise you collected…
  • donslow

Just for laughs, stuff you didn’t (or maybe did) realise you had stock piled for no apparent reason

Searching for a pump bracket in the shed, I found 7 pairs of eggbeater pedals in a box, completely unaware I’d amassed such a collection, can’t fathom for a moment why or how…still can’t find the pump bracket either

mlltt

Bent 12 speed derailleurs, expensive hobby

MoreCashThanDash

Pump brackets funnily enough. Mainly Lezyne

jonnyboi

sram wavy washers

all my cranksets are Shimano

mert
    Free Member

Are all the pedals broken?

I collect old time pedals (all the way back to the TBT road pedals) they never seem to actually break, just get so manky and scraped that i can’t bear to swap them onto yet another new build. So they end up, fully functional, in a box.

zerocool

I had about 15 of the red rebound adjusters from the bottom of RS forks up until recently. I just kept on finding them on the ground all the time so put them in my pocket. Last month I found 6 in the bottom of an old Dakine riding bag (that was last used in 2017 in the Alps). Gave them all to a local charity bike workshop as I don’t see any point in keeping too make things in the garage any more when someone else might need them

donslow

@mlltt I can see your point if you have a collection

@MoreCashThanDash
    any Topeak going spare? Ha ha

@mert
    haven’t checked them over yet so couldn’t say for sure although vast majority looked ok at a quick glance

@zerocool
    wait til you need one yourself and can’t find any…

whatgoesup

11 speed chains it seems. If I’d have have sold them off at the right point I could have been a millionaire.

Shimano manuals in quantities only explained by n+1 situations.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Lights that don’t work
    Brackets for lights that don’t work that I’ve lost from my collection
    Old screws…..as in fixings

donslow

@thestabiliser ha ha lights, yup! Got a handful of fluffed lights too

uniqueusername

The excess links from chains. Offcuts of brake/gear cables. Because you never know when they’ll be useful… Well there were at least 15years worth of them not having found their useful time so in the bin they went last month. Probably going to break a link on my chain next ride.

bruneep

Just in case bits of wood

reeksy

Excess links and old gear cables seems to be mine.
    Recently took a scrap metal bin to the tip full of old bike and motorbike chains and sprockets.

olly2097
    Free Member

Kate Bush – the whole story. Got 4 copies on cd for some reason.

Could sell them to the kids.

+1 for 12 speed mechs. I get through them quickly.

frankconway

Where to start?
    Recently, wrecking bars as I had decking to lift and sheds to break down.
    Already had army surplus heavy duty jobby; bought a set from screwfix and then found the one bar to rule them all – 36″ gransfors bruk.
    Now?
    Anyone need a wrecking bar?

feed

11 speed chains it seems. If I’d have have sold them off at the right point I could have been a millionaire.

For info, 11 speed chains will work perfectly fine on 12 speed setups.

dyna-ti

Just in case bits of wood

Scrap timber are pieces you haven’t thought of a use for yet.

Im up to my neck in Hope kit, from early mechanical disc brakes, hubs, adaptors, in fact just about everything they do, or have done. I just can’t resist a bargain.

kayak23

Hoovers.

One under my bobbin sander, rarely moves.

Smaller version of above for taking on site.

18v upright thing that’s a bit rubbish and now lives at home for crumbs.

One under my chop saw that’s never moved.

One under my workbench for sanders etc, routed through a cyclone thingy.

18v over the shoulder thing for on site and up ladders etc.

Big extraction unit that’s basically a Hoover for the planer and saw bench.

Henry at home which I detest.

In fact, my whole collection sucks 😐

donslow

@uniqueusername old chains, when broken into smaller parts can make great alternatives if you need hinges but have none to hand

uniqueusername

Hmm, I’d quite like to try that now. Good job I have no hinge based projects on the go, gives me time to collect some more spare chain.

didnthurt

Discs from disc brakes and singlespeed cogs, I’ve every size from 15t to 22t.

Old handlebars in varying lengths

Shimano disc brake calipers (with leaky calipers), not sure I’m going to buy another Shimano disc brake again.

RustySpanner

Broken Topeak seat pack clips.
    Happy Carradice evangelist now, innit?

Half a light clamp, missing other half/essential bit.

Brand new Shimano gear indicators.

Relative bought mini led lights.
    Mostly tat.
    Often novelty.
    Used once when opened at Christmas, purely so that the family **** may receive applause for his ‘Look at his little face light up…’ gag. Left to rot in a spare seatpack where it will die a pointless death.
    No ‘Shine on you crazy Black Diamond’ for you.

Old Eastern German film cameras.
    Useless dust magnets, ccupying too much space.
    Collection of quality lenses for above. Beautiful things.
    Next up against the wall, to be replaced by LEGO.
    Make me an offer, recommend a charity etc….

hooli

Part worn MTB tyres

nuke

I have about 10+ suspension forks (in addition to ones actually on bikes) that i seemed to have gathered…. mostly RS reba & Rev in 26 & 29er. No idea how i ended up with so many but my wife wasn’t impressed when we moved house last year

soundninjauk

When I moved house earlier this year I discovered quite how many inner tubes I had. Almost entirely sizes or stem lengths that no longer fitted bikes/wheels I have. Donated them all to a bike refurb project run by a local homelessness charity.

Alex

With you on inner tubes. Found a box with 20 x 26 inch ones – mostly never used. Also 4 fat bike tubes. Not had a fat bike for five years. I was repainting the shed so had a further clear out. Ended up with four big boxes of old 9 /10 speed transmission, 6 SDG saddles, 5 pairs of still decent SPD shoes (been on flats for 10 years), mudguards, tyres, etc.

Also load of good but not worn MTB gear. Handed it all over to the nice chap at CfC Cheltenham: https://www.cyclistsfc.org.uk/cfc-cheltenham-shop-and-recycling-centre.php (kids cycling cancer charity) who were very happy with the haul!

I decided to keep hold of 3×11 speed transmissions for the moment tho. I’m sure they’ll come in handy.

mmannerr

Right side pedals, I seem to smash only left side. Times are easier to break but have managed to wreck some Shimanos too.

stevie750

Missing link connectors for 9 , 10 and 11 speed chains, tidied up recently and found about 10 of these

Daffy

Chris King Headset Topcaps – I have them in sooo many different colours – 25+ at last count.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Ex girlfriends 😣 😅

also, bottle cages.

willard

According to my workshed: Bits of scrap wood, offcuts of ply and 4mm HSS drill bits.

My bike box of spares is a mess of stems and 26″ tyres. I have no idea why I have so many stems, I just do. The 26″ tyres were all about stockpiling before spares of quality 26″ rubber ran out.

Ewan
    Free Member

For a long time i used to collect the chains and casettes that matched them when i changed a cassette, on the basis i was changing them when they were nearly shagged, not totally shagged, so ‘it might come in useful one day’. Obviously they didn’t so i threw about 10 casettes away when i moved house. My wife was most impressed.

I also did the same thing with 26 inch tyres. I think I gave 20 odd away in lockdown on facebook!

I had a guy who was clearly not an mtber/cyclist turn up and take away a pair of 2.7 inch dual ply UST high rollers that weighed a couple of kilos each, declaring they would be perfect for his bike.

Klunk
    Free Member

Buffs, nearly upto 20

avdave2

Going through my box of bits recently I realised just how many times I’d added a gear cable to qualify for free delivery.

And how it hadn’t stopped me from keeping all the old ones

IdleJon

Buffs, nearly upto 20

Same here. I’m not sure how many because they are in the drawer with my holey underpants collection. 😀

donslow

+1 on the buffs and holey underpants

safi

Shoes until I counted them, have around 12 pairs.

garethjw

Multitools. Preferably ones that are so small and so neat that they’re practically useless. But nice colours, obvs.

redthunder
    Free Member

Got any Britains Deetail ???

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.