Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stuck bushes on nano-x pedals
  • mattyfez

Hi, as per title really, wondering if anyone can offer advice..

I’ve bought a service kit and have figured out how to do it all but the metal bushes seem stuck fast in the pedal body.
    I can feel where the far end of the bush rests against the body with the ball end of a really thin allan key but I can’t tease or shake it out.

I’ve given them a wipe down with kitchen roll and was just going to reagrease.. I’m thinking I might have to do a proper degrease like soak the whole pedal body in meths or WD40 or something to try and free the bush, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Rubber_Buccaneer

You need to knock them out. I used a drill bit, one just the right size to fit but catch the bush, with its pointy end down into a lump of wood, stuck the pedal over the top (outboard end down) and whacked the inboard end of the pedal body with a mallet until the bush popped out. I then used a bigger drill bit with the pedal the other way up to seat the new bush.

submarined
    Free Member

Yeah, they won’t just fall out. They need a few whacks with a hammer and drift.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Wish I could remember what size drill bits I used but I can’t 🙁 May have been 10 or 11 mm for removal and a 13mm for insertion.

mattyfez

Ahh ok thanks I’ll try that, I was a bit worried about scoring the inside of the pedal doing something like that.

There doesn’t seem to be much of a ridge to get purchase on the bush when knocking it out from behind, take it the drill bit has to be precisely the right size to be small enough to fit down the shaft but big enough to catch the edge of the bush?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes but it wasn’t an uncommon size just one from a set I have. Not the correct use of a drill bit but it’s what I had to hand and it worked a treat. Blunt end is smooth so not going to do any damage, don’t go sticking the cutting end in your pedal.

submarined
    Free Member

It says what size bit you need in the instructions that come with the kit, and on the YouTube video SS published I think 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

Not the correct use of a drill bit but it’s what I had to hand and it worked a treat.

HSS might be nasty if it shatters ….

mattyfez

Ok cool, thanks, that makes sense.
    Think I’ve got a cheap set of bits buried in the garage somewhere that I never use, 8)

docgeoffyjones

easy outs are quite good for removing bushes.

stevextc
    Free Member

Think I’ve got a cheap set of bits buried in the garage somewhere that I never use,

Unless they are really really cheap or masonry I’d avoid…. you can find a nut/bolt and washer for any size drill bit… if it does shatter it will make a real mess either of you or the pedal…. (it’s unlikely to shatter on a one off but they don’t like shocks and when they do they are like glass)

I’ve got a bit set from screwfix…. which have been used as nuts/bolts/washers round the house but also as a star nut setter and removing hub bearings… and the big ones can be stuck on 8mm threaded rod to set headsets and PF BB’s…. 😀

Yesterday I used one to screw into the compression damper on my Pikes which makes it much easier to push in to remove the circlip …

jfb01
    Free Member

If you have the right size tap,you could thread the bush (making sure you do not cut into the pedal body).Then tap them both out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stuck bushes on nano-x pedals’ is closed to new replies.