• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by AdamW.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Struck off from my dentists what are my options?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Missed a check up appointment last week and had a late cancellation last year 1 hr before, but they let me rebook 2 days later.
    Had a phone call today telling me that I have been struck off but can have private treatment if I want!!!!.
    I,m none to happy as it took me 2 years to get into the dentists after moving they said I can apply for NHS treatment again but there is a 2 and a half year waiting list.
    Yes I know its might fault but is there a right of appeal

Rich

jota180
    Free Member

Have you tried Oasis?
    They seem to have places all over the country and take NHS

nickc

If one issue raises more complaints than anything else combined….

The practice manager guide to not being delisted

1. Attend your booked appts
    2. If you can’t give as much notice as possible
    3. No, more notice than 20mins
    4. The NHS say the practice have to give you 2 “go’s” and the practice has to warn you in writing that you’ve breached the guidelines and are in danger of not being able to access NHS care. Pay attention to those letters, if you get one, keep it and attend your appts
    5. If they haven’t written to you, the practice are in breach of the guidelines and can’t delist you
    6. Ask to speak with the PM ( who hasn’t got time for this sort if stuff) and will probs just give you a warning while giving you “just one last chance” especially if you’re mid treatment

You ain’t seen me, right?

slackalice
    Free Member

NAFAIK. My suggestion would be to find a dentist who runs their own or a branded capitation scheme, such as Denplan. These are orientated towards paying for time for prevention, rather than paying for treatment. Running a dental practice costs a lot more than say an accountancy or solicitors and hourly rates are generally much less too.

Alternatively, your LHA may operate a mobile NHS check up facility

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dentists aren’t really interested in NHS work, you will have to go back on the waiting list and probably pay privately in the meantime. Given their attitude I would not pay them for private work but go to the new dentist you are interested in signing up to.

pondo

They can strike you off? Heck! *Checks diary for appointments

nickc

Dentists aren’t really interested in NHS work

My four who do nowt but NHS work with be dead pleased to be out of work no doubt.

loddrik
    Free Member

Do what I do, just don’t go to the dentists. I reckon if I have a problem with my teeth I’ll just go to the dental hospital and let me assist in the training of the students.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

…what are my options?

How about keeping your appointments and not wasting everybody’s time. I bet you do the same at the doctor…you and your kind are the reason the NHS is going to the crapper!

chewkw
    Free Member

Why do you go begging NHS for dental treatment?

Take control of your life go private.

Yes, it’s expensive but at least you are in charge as they want your money so they need to bow.

For me I get two check ups per year at £80 per check which includes polish/cleaning (heavy cigarette/tea/coffee staining – ya, this normally takes 40 mins … :mrgreen: ) and check up (20mins max cos everything is fine and I don’t mind) Yes, I can also sign up to their private dental plan if I want.

🙄

Edit: if there is no polishing the cost will be around £40 … I love tea, cigarette and coffee … me. 😆

Or if you want reduce your check up to once a year … £80 …

porter_jamie

just go private. as above less than a pair of tyres per visit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Private dentistry is “cheap” till you need something done

@nickc – perhaps my statement is a bit sweeping but where I live in Surrey and Hampshire there are hardly any NHS dentists and those that did exist had very long waiting lists. The service has basically been privatised.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Great… If you can afford it. I can’t.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Go private yeah good one. Sorry Joolsbuger you’ve got a cavity there that needs root canal work and I don’t do that on the NHS so it’s about 1000 pounds to fix or fifty quid to whip the tooth out and give the rest a polish. An implant to replace it will be 2000 minimum.

I’m down a tooth.

I know an NHS dentist taking patients in Surrey by the way in New Malden.

Sui
    Free Member

Agree about Surrey, you will be hard pressed ot find an NHS dentist. I’ve not been NHS since I was 16 (although I do oddly enough fill in a n NHS form, gawd know s what for). IT’s expensive, but then it’s relative to what could happen. NHS wont pay “cosmetic” type work, i’e false tooth..

chewkw
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Great… If you can afford it. I can’t.

Yes, it’s expensive but if you can put a way £14 month or 46p a day you will be able to afford it every 6 months, provided you can take care of your teeth properly. Floss often and brush your teeth after every meal (wait for at least 30 mins after meal). I gave up on NHS treatment after an episode of me having tooth ache … I never want that experience again.

🙂

bails

I’ve not been NHS since I was 16 (although I do oddly enough fill in a n NHS form, gawd know s what for

So the dentist can claim the cost of your treatment back from the NHS? Which is nice when you’ve already paid for it.

awh
    Free Member

Some work colleagues were saying today that they’d had exactly the same thing happen. I wonder if the government are cutting the NHS dentistry funding so the dental practices are looking for excuses to drop NHS patients or make you go private. As you had a black mark you got selected.

nickc

awh, there’s no conspiracy, we aren’t looking for excuses to de-list people, trust me if a needed more aggro in my life, all I would need to do was de-list a few patients…

There is pressure though, and it comes from people trying to access NHS dentistry, and the hard truth is that if you can’t get to the dentist (or at least tell them you can’t come) there are 50+ people on a waiting list who will come regularly.

I wouldn’t de-list a patient for one late canx and one missed though. Normally I wait till patients have missed 2 and not called beforehand, but with surgeries that have a large waiting list, I can understand why they would.

awh
    Free Member

Since NHS GPs are having to implement 13% cuts they’re having to drop lots of services they provided previously. I was wondering if the same was happening to NHS dental services. If you get paid more for private patients why wouldn’t you want to treat more? A consequence of market economics not a conspiracy.

jag61

I had similar a long time ago totally humiliated ‘It might be best if you found elsewhere you cheapskate’*
    thats how it felt*
    in the meantime
    good luck.

nickc

awh, NHS dentistry is funded differently to GP services, and you can make a pretty good living from NHS dentistry. Whilst you can make a lot of money from private, NHS is long term, stable, and pays a pretty good pension.

AdamW
    Free Member

My last dentist I turned up for three appointments that were suddenly cancelled because of the person before me or the dentist not arriving on time. After I had taken time off work to go.

Then I was asked to go to Germany for work and tried to cancel 23 hours before an appointment and was told that I would be charged (I’m private). I laughed down the phone and moved dentist.

I would have accepted it if they hadn’t already messed me about.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Struck off from my dentists what are my options?’ is closed to new replies.