Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stripped BB shell repair?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Picked up this ancient beauty this morning. Unfortunately the driveside BB shell is completely stripped. It’s got a HT2 crank and BB, and the driveside cup has about 2mm clearance all the way around. Has anyone got a rough idea of cost for putting in a sleeve (reaming out then epoxy? welding? in some tube) and tapping it? The bike has some decent kit on it – Hope hubs and brakes, XTR rear mech, LX front mech and shifters. Suspension kind of works but is clunky. It’s generally in good nick, but it’s not worth spending much to sell it complete. Probably wouldn’t get more than £200 even with functional BB. Seems a shame to strip it and skip the frame though.

WWSTWD?

rootes1
    Mowgli
    Free Member

Oh that’s cool, thanks. I’d only ever seen those for square taper BBs.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Araldite a cup in? Something with replaceable bearings.

You aren’t actually going to ride it are you? I mean, its got three chainrings!

Mowgli
    Free Member

The plan was to make it ridable and sell or donate it. I’m sure there’s someone out there who’d enjoy it!

Oh, and the number of chainrings are the least of it’s problems. Bad suspension, no dropper and enormous stem are more worrying!

mick_r

Is there enough meat left to tap to Italian thread? Shimano do road HT2 bbs in Italian. Can’t remember if they can then be spaced / bodged to work with mtb cranks. Unfortunately don’t think you are local – I’ve got some cheapy unused Italian bb taps at home 🙂

But otherwise that yst one looks a winner.

Mowgli
    Free Member

It’s possible Italian would work, but at the moment I’m leaning towards a threadless square taper BB (half the price of the hollowtech one) and put some retro cranks on.
    Cheers,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stripped BB shell repair?’ is closed to new replies.