Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Strathpuffer 2020
  • richpips
    Free Member

It’s a month away so time for the annual ‘puffer thread.

Tom and I are riding as a pair this time around.

Who else is coming?

Oh, and if you follow Sonder Bikes on insta or fb there’ll be some tips for newcomers coming next week from me.

gil_

Will be up there paying our respects to our dearly departed “Troutie” we have 4 solo entries riding under the “Fatty Owl” banner, we didn’t have Chris to organise us this year, so we ended up with 4 Solo entries

Dusting of snow at home today, just to remind us what’s round the corner…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Will be in our usual quad again.

On my usual singlespeed rigid

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If anyone needs a last minute team member, and is coming from down south (Manchester) then let me know.

Oblongbob

I’ll be there riding in a quad with my two brothers and dad. He’s 68 now (I think!)…I wonder who the oldest rider is? Really looking forward to it…fingers crossed we get another cold dry one! Got my Ice Spikers on my spare wheels so all bases covered. Time to dig out all the warm cycling gear I own.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I wonder who the oldest rider is?

Possibly epicyclo.

leffeboy

He’s 68 now (I think!)

how awesome is that.  There is still hope for many of us then

NZCol

Supporting a solo mate, never been so should be fun and new Motorhome with heating and water will be nice !

paule
    Free Member

I’m in as a solo, Ice spikers just arrived in the post today… Not done a 24 hour race for about 15 years so it’s a tough one to get back into

epicyclo

Oblongbob
    He’s 68 now (I think!)…I wonder who the oldest rider is?

It’s really good to see more older people doing the ‘Puffer.  🙂

I’ve been the oldest soloist for most of the ‘Puffers (done them all). I don’t know if anyone older is riding this coming ‘Puffer though.

I’m 75 but the oldest rider has usually been the amazing Ron Smith who has more brains than me, so he usually does a team ride. Ron has a few years on me and being a fell runner, he’s pretty well unstoppable. Last time I saw him he wasn’t going to be riding this year so your dad may be the oldest team rider.

I’ll be riding a rigid singlespeed as usual, probably a fatbike with huge mudguards.

thejamms

Trying it for the first time in 2020 so thanks for opening the thread as might have a few gear questions, like i see a couple of posts on ice spikes. Are they a good precaution? Probably going to ride a Scott Scale and/or rigid 30 year old Trek nail…..

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m in, racing as a mixed quad. I’m taking it far too seriously, my teammates not so much.

The past three times I’ve done it have been to raise money for Glencoe Mountain Rescue after my old racing partner Chris was killed the week before the 2013 Puffer but this year we’re racing to raise money for the hospice that looked after one of our team member’s wives before her untimely death.

If anyone fancies pitching in, here’s a link, otherwise give me some yells of encouragement on the way round (pale blue Trek Stache hardtail).

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/strathpufferforstmichaels?fbclid=IwAR33CMWtHJOxnH3q1mm32-SOIyx7ba3C9T0qkbEherBfng5vXoiXHjVbaHs

Phil_H

i see a couple of posts on ice spikes. Are they a good precaution?

Ice tyres are one of those things that if you need them you really need them.
    You needed them last year. I was lazy for my first lap & only fitted the one on the front. My back end overtook me at speed twice on the descents.

Stealth Ad; I have a pair of 26″ schwalbes for sale 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck everyone riding, hope it’s a belter!.

Brian, you’re an inspiration mate. 💙

joshvegas
    Free Member

My only clear memory is of 2013 is pushing my bike with* Brian up a hill.

An eleven speed Alfine peregrin with mega toe overlap was not the answer.

*Technically he was pushing past me. No idea where though the climb out of a little flat section where the whole track is slightly raised as it crossed the bog.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m in, in a quad. Will hopefully be ready….

My 16 year old daughter is in another quad of her pals.

swavis

I’m in as a solo this time. I did it as a pair with @munrobiker a few years ago, I think solo will be easier 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

solo definitely easier than pairs ime

bforbertie

Pairs for me after 2 years of Quads, a little nervous! Re ice tyres, I did the last 2 years on normal tyres and didn’t feel needed ice tyres until the end last year when it rained on frozen ground. I would like to have the option, interested in your schwalbes Phil_H, could you PM me??

myopic
    Free Member

Phil_H I’ve messaged you

munrobiker
    Free Member

See, while I find pairs hard in terms of maintaining a high average speed, I really can’t imagine riding solo. I did 10 under solo and was a wreck at the end of it.

swavis

I’ll ride for as long as I can then go to bed for a few hours. I may even have a beer or two 😉

kcal

don’t whatever happens get very very drunk. 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yeah, when a certain pal of ours (cough, Roberta, cough) was wandering around the woods pissed out of her brains her cheers of encouragement were scaring the riders 😉

swavis

Would that have been the year we sat out at -13C cheering you all on and giving some gentle encouragement to “PULL A WHEELIE!”?

We had to make our way back to the vans at 4am as Rob was starting to nod off 😆

swavis

kcal

don’t whatever happens get very very drunk.

Me? No danger…. 😉

epicyclo

kcal

don’t whatever happens get very very drunk.

I believe there will be a few kegs of single speed beer there for the enlightened ones… 🙂

swavis

Well it’s getting close…

What singlespeed ratio for the Puffer? 😆

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Strathpuffer 2020’ is closed to new replies.