• This topic has 73 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Stove top espresso makers time for some snobbery
  • duncancallum

So my aluminium ones scrap after the missus dishwashered it.

I’m now wanting a new one.

Stainless jobby

Any reason why not or do I just go bialetti? And I’d so why

fossy

Bialetti, but you will be replacing the rubber seals with silicone ones from ebay soon enough after you forget it’s still on – the after market ones are better. Love ours. Never wash with soap, just water.

We’ve an ikea stainless at our caravan, just as good, but same rules, just wipe out, no soaps.

Pyro

That’s similar to the stainless Ikea one I’ve got. It’s good, as fossy said, just look after it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Who washes a coffee pot?

Bialetti for the win!

grum
    Free Member

Can I be snobby and say they don’t make espresso? Thanks.

It’s a Moka pot, named after Mocha in Yemen. Not an espresso pot.

aP
    Free Member

Or an Alessi La conica?
    It is noticeably slower to make coffee than my La cupola.
    I’m an architect, I like Aldo Rossi, sorry.

lapierrelady

https://9barista.com/ maybe one of these?

bruneep

So my aluminium ones scrap after the missus dishwashered it.

I’m now wanting a new one.

Is that a new wife you’re wanting 🤔

Rubber_Buccaneer

Is that a new wife you’re wanting

+1

reeksy

I think +1 would make things too complicated

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Never really found much difference between these stovetop pots.

My favourite kind of coffee. Preferable to any espresso I’ve bought in a cafe (artisan or Starbucks). After trying quite a few roasts out it turns out I like the £1 bag of Aldi Italian Espresso blend…. Probably because it’s fresh as I just open a new bag after a few days since it’s so cheap.

*Awaits scorn*

tomd
    Free Member

Never really found much difference between these stovetop pots.

My favourite kind of coffee. Preferable to any espresso I’ve bought in a cafe (artisan or Starbucks). After trying quite a few roasts out it turns out I like the £1 bag of Aldi Italian Espresso blend…. Probably because it’s fresh as I just open a new bag after a few days since it’s so cheap.

*Awaits scorn*

No scorn here – agree with both the type of maker and coffee choice. The Lidl gold brick also seems to work well. I’ve tried all the fancy coffee makers and fancy coffees – appreciate some people do get genuine enjoyment out of making great coffee but for me personally it’s diminishing returns once you get above a reasonable supermarket coffee made carefully in a Mokka pot or cafetiere.

Just get a bialletti one they just last and easy to get spares – not sure why you’d ever need to dishwasher a Mokka pot. Quick rinse and dry.

cp

After trying quite a few roasts out it turns out I like the £1 bag of Aldi Italian Espresso blend….

I’m with you on this. In the stove top it’s good stuff. Good caffeine hit too.

Waitrose own brand espresso is currently my favourite of any. Nice as a weekend treat 🙂

poolman
    Free Member

aP I bought some alessi teaspoons in tk Maxx,only a few quid for a box of 6, very nice too. If I see the stove top I ‘ll deffo buy one seeing how much they are.

nickc

Who washes a coffee pot?

I rinse mine daily.

Sandwich

Is that a new wife you’re wanting

After he’s finished the new patio.

kelvin

I think +1 would make things too complicated

Made me laugh!

My parents bought me a stainless Bialetti 20 years ago. I can’t see it ever needing replacing.

OP, I can’t open your link for some reason. Skimlinks looks to be down. Which stovetop is the link for?

jonnyfelloff
    Free Member

I dishwasher’d my stove pot too. Quite like its look now, like an aged patina.

But these days I mostly use those new fangled coffee tea bags things so you should probably just ignore me.

nickc

I dishwasher’d my stove pot too. Quite like its look now, like an aged patina.

Yeah I’ve done it before as well (when I replace the seal for instance) A run through with water or sacrificial brew is enough to get rid of any lingering aftertaste. But folks like their rituals.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pezetti, my Bialetti ended up furring up just about after the first use and the seal was utter crap. The Pezettis (1 and 3 cup) are spot on and haven’t given me any grief.

pondo

We’ve got an old aluminium Bialetti we bought years ago, makes one good big mug full – anyone able to guess what that translates into in terms of espresso cups? Quite fancy a Pezetti in stainless but don’t want the wrong size. 🙂

stevious

makes one good big mug full

I cannot imagine the damage I would do to society if I drank a whole mug of stovetop coffee.

kelvin

my Bialetti ended up furring up

A stainless one? How?

peaslaker
    Free Member

How do people drink Bialetti pond slurry? I can handle a 2 cup (double shot) moka pot but anything bigger makes an overextracted mess looking more like the stuff I can fish out of the Thames not far from my front door. Why does it taste like somebody dissolved a slice of burnt toast and called it coffee. Smells disgusting while its doing it and somehow it is a virtue not to wash the damn thing. Heathens

kelvin

Turn the heat down/off sooner. If you’re not using gas or induction, that means taking it off the hob.

nickc

With stove tops timing is everything. You’ve pretty much got this teeny window between almost perfect lovely brew and pond sludge. Haha

richardkennerley

I’ve a standard Moka pot and a Brikka. The Brikka makes a noticeable nicer brew. Think it’s because it takes s smaller amount of water and can be done on a lower heat.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Also, start with boiling water from the kettle, not cold from the tap.

I still use my aeropress daily for lack of mess & faff compared to the stove top, but there is something fun about the stovetop. Not used it for ages, might have to change that this weekend.

duncancallum

Ohh for added snob factor I’m on an aga…

Or should I just go for a bean to cup as tbf I mainly drink latte or a very milky brew anyway

kelvin

You’ve pretty much got this teeny window between almost perfect lovely brew and pond sludge.

This.

Also, start with boiling water from the kettle, not cold from the tap.

This.

I much prefer espresso… but a good stove top brew is still very enjoyable… but you need to play close attention when the pot is on the heat.

Aga/Rayburn can be hard to use for this, but starting with boiling water, and getting ready to remove to a trivet at just the right point, and it’s perfectly doable.

toby1

time for some snobbery

Without coffee snoberry we are no better than savages!*

* Said purely to rile people, drink what you like.

jkomo

Alessi, looks ace, not particularly expensive.
    Rinse only.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Who washes a coffee pot?

An Italian I worked with said I should never clean my Bialetti, just a rinse after use. Sounded a good excuse anyhoo!

The window between delicious coffee and bitter sludge is very small indeed. I love a double espresso first thing in the morning and last thing at night….no idea how that works!

Makes the best coffee IMHO.

inkster
    Free Member

After reading on here i just made a stove top coffee with boiling water for the first time.

Definitely tastes better.

Why is that?

Blackflag
    Free Member

its quicker to get up to pressure.

convert

I cannot imagine the damage I would do to society if I drank a whole mug of stovetop coffee.

I’m just finishing the dregs of my Bialetti 12 cup I put on at lunchtime. That’s 775ml of delicious coffee to you and me. There is only me in the department today (ain’t covid great) so no sharing required.

Do you fancy being in my year 10 class last thing this afternoon – now do you punk?

kelvin

Why is that?

You want to be getting the water through the coffee before the coffee gets toasted. So starting with hot water, and getting the pot off the heat as soon as possible, helps you achieve this.

inkster
    Free Member

Well the boiling water trick made my £1:49 / 200g Lidl espresso ground coffee taste like illy, which is nearly 4 times the price!

slowoldman

A Bialetti isn’t really espresso though is it? Though we also have a Bialleti cappuccino maker that doesn’t make proper cappuccino.

kelvin

Well the boiling water trick

This forum can occasionally deliver useful advice, it’s not all just a few weird men mass debating for their own amusement at the expense of useful and interesting conversion between everyone else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Stove top espresso makers time for some snobbery’ is closed to new replies.