• This topic has 73 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Stove top espresso makers time for some snobbery
  • LAT

isn’t there a connection between aluminum saucepans and dementia (i’m sure it has a more pc name). got that reason i’d get a stainless one. a good quality one will last longer

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ahh, a timely thread to help clear something up. I’ve been using various sizes of Bialetti aluminium mokka pots until quite recently when an elderly relative said I shouldn’t be using them. She claimed that the pot would be gradually poisoning me! As if I’d been eating lead or something.

At the time I kind of laughed it off as the ramblings of a crazy old woman, but then I started to get the fear and switched to an aeropress.

So, is there any truth in it? She’s immensely wise about all sorts of things. But then she also takes the Daily Mail so…

kormoran
    Free Member

I haven’t used aluminium pans or pot for years, I thought it was common knowledge

On a slight tangent there was this ghastly incident of course. Staggering it happened
    Linky

kelvin

I swapped to stainless 20 years ago for exactly that reason. But I was using my old alu stove top twice a day everyday at that point. For occasional use I doubt there’s any risk really.

squirrelking
    Free Member

A stainless one? How?

No, alu. But now you’ve put me off, cheers.

tomd
    Free Member

@kormoran

Do you have a source for aluminium cookware posing a health risk?

13thfloormonk

I much prefer espresso… but a good stove top brew is still very enjoyable… but you need to play close attention when the pot is on the heat.

Just curious, have been enjoying my Bialetti coffee every other morning, but what is the perfect window, I tend to take off the heat and pour as soon as I hear it bubbling, and I use boiling water.

Also – goes off to Google aluminium poisoning…

peaslaker
    Free Member

Taking off the heat as soon as it is bubbling and, depending on the heat, quenching onto a cold thermal mass (e.g. skillet) or under running water work for me. Or, pour immediately but ignore the late extraction you get when it is tipped upright again. I can get a 2 cup brikka to produce a very acceptable pseudo-shot but… The late extraction from 2 cups onward is vile and does nothing for the balance. With a lot of attention you might be able to get something drinkable from a 4 cupper but 6 and up are lunacy. The bigger you go, the better chances come from half loading the filter and going for quicker flow but you might as well have a 2 cupper and make an americano.

And all with boiling water, as many have mentioned.

stevious

The aluminium/alzheimers thing is a bit of a red herring. There was some research in rats that pointed towards a possible link that got a lot of attention but hasn’t been replicated in humans.

Best link I could find is here: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/metals-and-dementia there’s a bit of scrolling to find the aluminium section, but it’s fairly comprehensive and well written.

jodafett

Get yourself a V60 dropper and thank me later. Consistent perfection.

kormoran
    Free Member

Blimey, 30 seconds of googling tells me the aluminium pot thing is indeed a red herring. I stand corrected

jodafett

Get yourself a V60 dropper and thank me later. Consistent perfection.

Meant to type “dripper” 🙄

tomd
    Free Member

I’d never thought to put hot water in a Moka pot, but makes sense.

I can’t remember the name of it but I thought someone made a very pricey Moka type pot, where the steam generated goes through a little tube in a water bath so that you get pressurised hot water at 90ish degrees and high pressure hitting the coffee rather than boiling water and steam.

Looked amazing but IRC it cost a fair bit.

anagallis_arvensis

I dishwasher’d my stove pot too. Quite like its look now, like an aged patina.

I one I keep at my mum’s has has been through the dishwasher, many times, the coffee tastes the same though.

toby1

@tomd 9barista is the one already mentioned above

claudie

I’m using my wife’s 25 year old pot and a hand grinder, recently bought the same coffee pre ground and really can’t tell the difference. So what’s the consensus, bean or ground in moka pots?

mrsheen
    Free Member

Technique and maybe take off heat a bit earlier (with lid on).

dudeofdoom

I’m getting 3-4 mugs out of my 12 shot, 50/50 top up with hot water,what’s the usual ratio people are using ?

I’ve been using bonka mezcal…..which I’m not sure about,but the names great.

I really need to fix my jura, stove top even with a kettle is way more farf than pressing a button.

pondo

Make with boiling water + take off the heat the INSTANT it starts to Stromboli = coffee transformed for me. 😀

squirrelking
    Free Member

This forum can occasionally deliver useful advice, it’s not all just a few weird men mass debating for their own amusement at the expense of useful and interesting conversion between everyone else.

I just did the hot water and remove immediately thing today, I can’t decide if it makes me hate you all more or less. But damn I must have been murdering that coffee before.

beamers

take off the heat the INSTANT it starts to Stromboli

Now that is a gamechanger!

irc

Well I bought a 6 cup Bialetti after reading about them on this thread. £22 from Amazon Warehouse so not a big outlay to try it. Very impressed.

A definite step up in quality from my cafetiére and starting with boiling water it’s the same ballpark timewise to get into the cup.

toby1

I just did the hot water and remove immediately thing today, I can’t decide if it makes me hate you all more or less. But damn I must have been murdering that coffee before.

A definite step up in quality from my cafetiére and starting with boiling water it’s the same ballpark timewise to get into the cup.

Now imagine the improvements if you both start fresh grinding (with a consistent grinder) and getting good 7-9bar extractions!!!

Sorry, couldn’t help myself 😉

irc

It looks like a slippery slope. I’m teetering on the edge.

convert

Anyone found a method to make a good half pot of coffee in a moka pot? Apart from buying another pot half the size of the first.

My method is to fill the water container full like for a full pot anyway – hot water obvs. Use a half measure (maybe a little more – no idea why) of coffee but….heinous crime…..Tamp it a little bit. Brew with the lid off and stop and pour when half the water has come through.

I reckon there is a market a widget that reduced the volume of the grounds section covering up the perforations in the empty half, or something.

teaandbiscuit
    Free Member

My own first world problem is that the bars above my gas hob end too far apart for the coffee pot to sit safely so I have to hold it and burn my fingers. I’ve always used boiling water so it only takes a few seconds but has anyone found or rigged up some sort of over-hob pot stand?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Other retailers are available.

tomparkin

My own first world problem is that the bars above my gas hob end too far apart for the coffee pot to sit safely so I have to hold it and burn my fingers. I’ve always used boiling water so it only takes a few seconds but has anyone found or rigged up some sort of over-hob pot stand?

Back when I used mokka pots I had this issue and used to wedge a skewer under one side of the pot. But then I’m a “make do and mend” sort of fellow.

molgrips
    Free Member

snoberry

I hope you are having wild Swedish snoberries with your coffee, and only in-season.

teaandbiscuit
    Free Member

@squirrelking – nice! Thanks

toby1

@molgrips – school grade typo, my apologies! Although I’d quite like to try some snoberries 🙂

asbrooks

I still have the one I bought some 30years ago while living Italy.. I drag it out on occasion if I want a super charged caffeine hit.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@teanadbiscuit no worries, I use one just like the one linked. Gets a bit scorched but otherwise solid.

pondo

Ooo, that’s great, ta – coffee pot is fine but my milk frother’s right on the cusp, accidents have happened….

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Stove top espresso makers time for some snobbery’ is closed to new replies.